PDA

View Full Version : DE squat days - also help flexibility?

Hazerboy
05-05-2008, 11:23 PM
dynamic effort squats are usually used to work on form and speed, But are they also good for working on hip flexibility? I have fairly inflexible hips, and it takes a lot of warming up for me to hit about an inch below parallel with a wide stance. Is it safe for me to be working on this during DE days?

And when I say "working on flexibility," I mean usually I'll set up the weight and my box (about two inches below parallel) and squat with a wide enough stance so that its pretty uncomfortable at the bottom of the squat. I have to really keep tight and focus on keeping my knees from caving in.

Oh, and I already use one of those stretching machines after workouts, and do all sorts of hip stretches afterwards to little avail.

Lones Green
05-06-2008, 03:52 AM
there is nothing wrong with workout on your form!

Reko
05-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Thats one of the main points on DE days, speed and form. I think flexibility would fall into the category of form, so yes that is a good idea I think.

How long have you been doing it? Sometimes its just a weak area like hamstrings and not a flexibility thing and it will just come with time. Keep a strong mental focus on your form during the lifts.

Travis Bell
05-06-2008, 08:25 AM
stretch out though as well

bigmoney
05-06-2008, 11:28 AM
I have very inflexible hips, so warming up to squat with a wide stance takes a good 30 minutes. Start with a box that is at parallel or an inch above, then work your way down once you get warmed up.

Jason Pegg
05-06-2008, 06:33 PM
dynamic effort squats are usually used to work on form and speed, But are they also good for working on hip flexibility? I have fairly inflexible hips, and it takes a lot of warming up for me to hit about an inch below parallel with a wide stance. Is it safe for me to be working on this during DE days?

And when I say "working on flexibility," I mean usually I'll set up the weight and my box (about two inches below parallel) and squat with a wide enough stance so that its pretty uncomfortable at the bottom of the squat. I have to really keep tight and focus on keeping my knees from caving in.

Oh, and I already use one of those stretching machines after workouts, and do all sorts of hip stretches afterwards to little avail.

Why so far below parallel? If you want to squat that deep, youre going to have to close your stance in a bit, then gradually work it out. Do you wear briefs? They will help supprt your hips, even as you work on flexibility.

Jason

RhodeHouse
05-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Squatting doesn't help flexibility. It may help mobility. Flexibility is basically, static stretching. Stretch after you warm-up (non squat warm-up) then after you're done training.

Detard
05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Squatting doesn't help flexibility. It may help mobility. Flexibility is basically, static stretching. Stretch after you warm-up (non squat warm-up) then after you're done training.

Hey man, it's been a while since i've seen a post from you. Where have you been?

RhodeHouse
05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey man, it's been a while since i've seen a post from you. Where have you been?

What's up man? I've been busy with work. I've stayed away from my favorite Nutrition forum because I'm tired of being told how dumb I am and how wrong I am with my ways of gaining weight. But, I'll be back there soon. I need some cyber-drama.

It's so gay of you to miss me. :hello:

Detard
05-08-2008, 02:55 PM
What's up man? I've been busy with work. I've stayed away from my favorite Nutrition forum because I'm tired of being told how dumb I am and how wrong I am with my ways of gaining weight. But, I'll be back there soon. I need some cyber-drama.

It's so gay of you to miss me. :hello:

Hey I never said I missed you. :shoot:

Yes, I think theyve been calling your name in the nutrition section lately.

RhodeHouse
05-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey I never said I missed you. :shoot:

Yes, I think theyve been calling your name in the nutrition section lately.

LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!