PDA

View Full Version : Football: Explosion off line of scrimmage

gauchos21
05-07-2008, 06:37 PM
What muscles are used for getting off the line off scrimage explosively? and what workouts would help me? I'm fast but lack explosiveness

backseatwitme13
05-07-2008, 06:47 PM
pretty much everything. glutes, quads, calves, all your core muscles.
i would recommend some plyometrics, squats, power cleans, and deads. all with strict form.

joey54
05-07-2008, 07:15 PM
solid advice. if you know how to do them correctly, stiff leg deads work the hamstrings pretty well.

And, practice exploding off the line of scrimmage. Nothing duplicates the movements one does in footballl better than actually doing them. you can do this anywhere. When I was in college I spent at least 5-10 minutes after my sprinting sessions in the summer just working on my first step off the line of scrimmage for running plays and my drop back set for pass blocking.

nosetackle2005
05-17-2008, 11:16 PM
pretty much everything. glutes, quads, calves, all your core muscles.
i would recommend some plyometrics, squats, power cleans, and deads. all with strict form.

I second backseatwitme13's recommendation. As a nosetackle, I definitely need to explode off the line. I do squats, power cleans, and deads, but don't do much plyometrics due to my weight. :(

manofsteel99
05-18-2008, 11:01 AM
yea deadlifts i think would be the best exsersoze fpr that,
why not do some explosion training like weighted jumps, those are great for explosion

Jason Pegg
05-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Hip and Hamstring and heavy ab work will definitely help. Also, if youre fast, youre explosive. You should make sure that you are working to get stronger all over to make the most o fit.

Jason

Klotz
05-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Practice flipping a big ass tire.

WillNoble
05-20-2008, 08:27 AM
but don't do much plyometrics due to my weight. :(

I played at well over 300lbs. as a collegiate O-Lineman, and we did plyo work all the time... Don't let your weight be an excuse...

jed
05-22-2008, 09:23 PM
but don't do much plyometrics due to my weight. :(

that's no excuse, big man. you go to a pro training camp and see 6'1 335 lb offensive tackles moving as fast as a high school halfback. start now and maybe by college youll have what everyone else built like you lacks.

jed
05-22-2008, 09:26 PM
to the OP : last summer, i flipped tires and my explosiveness increased by 2 times... it was incredible. i did 3 sets of about 8 with a big size tire (sorry, dont know the weight) but it was big enough to make you feel dead after 3x8. crazy thing is i probably only did that once a week for 10 weeks. thats all i needed to increase that much... i won't lie, that has contributed to my vertical, broad jump and 40 yard dash. not to mention now i am the fastest kid off the line on my team now. i really suggest that, and cleaning like it's you job. power and full, if you are able. don't forget your calves either, they are super synergists for explosiveness.

joey54
05-23-2008, 05:54 AM
I thought of something else. Make sure you are stretching your hamstrings and everything else. Spend a good amount of time stretching, upwards of 20-30 minutes, once you are already warm. I like to stretch after lifting or cardio. I had terrible flexibility in high school and didn't care. worked on it a lot in college and it helped tremendously. Now as just a lifter I make sure I get my stretching in almost everyday.

Eric Downey
05-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Start squating. Also try knelling squats where you squat while on your knee just using your hips.

Fuzzy
06-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Olympic lifts~

AJ Roberts
06-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Another great exercise for this is to hook a couple of jump stretch bands up to the base of the power rack and then loop the bands over your shoulders or to your belt and perform your starts. The added resistance will teach you to explode off the line.

Optimum08
06-05-2008, 11:14 AM
i 2nd strongman-type activities (especially tire flipping) and olympic lifts (cleans mostly) just make sure you get your clean form down before you start going heavy because you can really hurt yourself if you don't use proper form.

BoAnderson71
07-30-2008, 10:38 PM
power cleans, box squats, box jumps, tire flipping, jump roping, broad jumps, put one leg on a bench then do a one legged squat and jump as high as you can with that leg. you'll probably only get a couple of inches off but it really helps your explosion. do it with a dumbbell in each hand

lineman76
08-09-2008, 11:20 PM
power cleans