PDA

View Full Version : Shotput training?

itsvolpe63
05-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Does anyone have a good training/eating regimen to optimize my shotputting during the near offseason?

fooz
05-09-2008, 06:53 PM
You push with your legs with shotput , so squats , deadlfits?

JSully
05-09-2008, 08:00 PM
:withstupi:

add.. dummbell shoulder press, close grip bench press, dumbbell arnold press

dblockspky
05-10-2008, 10:25 PM
All explosive lifts help with putting. You'll want to focus on squatting and cleaning. It may bit a bit unorthodox but I feel it helped me a lot... benching goes a long way for throwing as well. Focusing on those lifts, as well as perfecting your form, which is #1 when it comes to throwing, will have you setting PRs like it's nothing.

Mike G
05-11-2008, 05:40 AM
All explosive lifts help with putting. You'll want to focus on squatting and cleaning. It may bit a bit unorthodox but I feel it helped me a lot... benching goes a long way for throwing as well. Focusing on those lifts, as well as perfecting your form, which is #1 when it comes to throwing, will have you setting PRs like it's nothing.

I agree with all of the suggestions so far. Looking back, I wish I had done more cleans and push presses. Just to get the body firing at once and work on explosion.

lostboyrufio
05-11-2008, 09:18 AM
I went from distance running to shot put and it was so tough working on explosion. I feel like if i threw from the start, I could have done some real work. What helped me make the was emphasis on the explosive, compound lifts.

Cleans and Push Presses are a must.

When you do direct core work, don't stay on the ground and do crunches and leg raises. I did a lot of standing trunk twists with a DB and OH squats/lunges.

Another thing you need to do is get every part of your throw down. At the end of the day, you can have all the lifts and power there but you need to transfer it to your throw and utilize muscles together. Good luck with your season. Keep us updated on your marks.

Auburn
05-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Read back through all the archives of Dan John's Get Up newsletter for a lot of throwing-related stuff.

Jess21
05-11-2008, 01:38 PM
I used to do shot and discus in highschool, and I noticed that shoulder workouts helped me throw farther. Definitely do dead lifts, and squats, bench etc. Throwing a shot put is also about form, make sure to practice speed and explosion and get a good flowing spinning form. I knew some small guys that would throw pretty far because of the form they used.