PDA

View Full Version : Sgt Rock-USMC questions

Jeff Roark
05-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Hey just wanted to ask what years you were in and stationed? I was in from 93-98 and did most of my time at MCAS Iwakuni Japan and down at MCAS Beaufort. I was lucky to have some some exposure to some great lifters and train a bit with them. When I was stationed in Iwakuni David Ricks and Abe Roman were there also. Sylvester Anderson came up from Okinawa a few times and did some seminars with Ricks. When I got back to the east coast I was in the gym and was doing my business working up on my benches and there was only 2 or 3 other guys there. Amazingly one was also doing benches and it was Top Alexander. He came over and asked if I wanted to work in with him and I said sure. I didn't recognize him at first and then we started talking and he told me who he was. I was blown away as I told him I used to read articles about him in old PowerliftingUSA mags when I was kid, and he just laughed. He was retired at that point and was there visiting his son. He went over 400lbs(I think) that day and I made my first 320lb bench with him spotting me. He said he only did upper body work then and just did jogging and sprints for his lower body. Oh yeah speaking of sons, Freddy Ortiz Jr was stationed down at Parris Island the same time I was there and he was a monster. Only thing I ever seen him do persoanlly was come in and do a few sets of dips and pullups and that was it.

I think there are several great powerlfiters and one Olympic Lifter on the scene right now. I know Kroc is a Marine, and ain't Sam Byrd a Marine too? Donny Shankle is the Olympic Lifter that I am talking about.

Semper Fi
Jeff Roark
Sgt USMC

SGT ROCK
05-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Hey brother I spent my active duty time at 8th and I, I was NCOIC of the VIP gate (5) for the friday evening parades, and of course did sunset parades at the Marine Corps War Memorial in Arlington on tuesdays and many, many other parade days as well (white trousers!). It was TRULY an honor. I then got asked (OR TOLD) to be an enlisted aide for a General at the Pentagon where I served in Policies Plans and Operations, the Expeditionary Policies Branch to be precise. I picked up Sgt in my first term and got out with an honoroable discharge. I then got recalled after 9/11. I was the only member of the USMC power team when I was in. They let me travel all over to compete and gave me time to train while at work. I had a great tour and feel blessed without question. I was active duty from 95-99 and IRR from 99-2005.

Semper Fi
Sgt Rock
USMC

Jeff Roark
05-10-2008, 06:56 PM
nice! I was basically a glorified grunt of the airwing. I was a Air Traffic Control Comm tech. Basically what we did was set up and expeditionary air field, maintain the gear, and provide security of the air traffic control facility. I think we may have had the only job in the airwing that you got to sleep in the dirt!

SGT ROCK
05-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Semper Fi Devil Dog! If I can help you out in any way with your training, please don't hesitate to ask! Swing with the wing!!

Semper Fi

PriestCometh
05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I guess I would help him too. Maybe. lol

Michael Green is a Marine down in San Diego.
I think he has benched 661+ in a contest!
He can hit 700+. He is a hell of a lifter.

SGT ROCK
05-14-2008, 10:48 PM
I am going to train with Mike in the near future....Priest you gotta come with us! We are going to be in LA to train, then hit some clubs. It will be on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Guns is taking leave, it will be around the last week of June, can you make it? Mike doesnt have the luxury that I had, I only had to pass my PFT twice per year in the last year I was active duty as the Pentagon supported my PL endeavors WHOLEHEARTEDLY. If you have questions on setting up a PL routine to balance with your running let me know. I was successful at doing that.

Semper Fi