PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my bench form and pain (not shoulders) with videos

Indifference
05-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Alright so Ive been dealing with this for a good while now, and now that Ive got videos Im going to ask the big guys what it is im doing wrong.

Im stumped as to what is causing this but when I get about 2 inches above my chest and lower and then back up to 2 inches I get extreme pain and sometimes numbness in my biceps and forearms. This totally kills any drive I get off the chest. I find once the pain begins I can no longer continue to press b/c it just makes everythng else hurt.

225x3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwCu65ZU03U
265x? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKyNwtlVOoI

These were the best videos I could get this time around. On the second video at 36-37 seconds im in agony and end up getting somewhat of a bounce off the chest and then basically starting the press from where its hanging.

Its extremely frustrating because the weight is NOT heavy but the pain is unbearable.

Where am I going wrong guys? What do I need to change?

Reko
05-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I get this randomly sometimes too I think, right at the bottom of the lift. It only seems to be on closer grip exercises but I have no idea what it is either.

MNRob
05-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Maybe widen your grip a bit. I get funky feelings in my forearms when I use narrow grips??

Travis Bell
05-10-2008, 08:19 PM
do you have any pain when you're not benching?

Personally I can't see anything significant technically that would be causing that sort of problem. That said, you may have some sort of bicep injury that is going on there. I'd try some wrist wraps, see if that helps and then if it were me, I'd go see a doc if no improvement after that.

Ben Moore
05-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Have you done any specific grip or forearm work? I may be talking out of my ass here, but it looks to me like your lower arm mass could use some work. Something to try possibly. Grippers, holds, pinches, etc.

Jeff Roark
05-11-2008, 06:23 AM
I get the same exact thing. Its like its on the eccentric and especially the turn around point. Its almost as if my bicpes are doing all the work reversing the motion. I just posted a reply in the other thread for bench tips expalining this same issue.

Let me ask you this- if you run your thumb on the inside of your armpit up the bicep tendon is it sore as heck? man, mine gets super sore. I have a suspect and it may be squats with a straight bar, but I could be wrong. A few things I am trying- 1)Squatting with a SSB only for awhile 2)Wearing APT super heavy duty elbow sleeves 3) taking 2 5lb plates and stretching like 30 seconds between a few flat flyes for a few minutes. This really seemed to stretch my biceps and pecs out while giving some blood flow after my last pressing workout. I'll keep you updated on my progress if I get any.

Strange thing though is Military Pressing has no pain whatsoever.

RhodeHouse
05-11-2008, 12:47 PM
If you guys squat, that's where the pain is coming from. I get it, sometimes, as well.

Do this:

1. Ice everyday, especially after workouts
2. Wear wrist wraps, as Travis mentioned

Numbness is the sign of nerve problems. Your wrists might be compressing and hitting a nerve. There might also be some swelling in the shoulder/elbow/wrist area from squatting.

HP666
05-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I agree with Rhodes, and something I do, which may seem minor and stupid, made a big difference for myself and others; when squatting grip the bar with your thumb on top of the bar, rather than underneath. So all five fingers are on top of the bar. What you would call a "thumbless grip". This takes a ton of pressure off your wrist and elbow. After a few sessions you'll get comfortable with it. I was having wrist problems and changed to this grip with great success.

douglasoh5
05-11-2008, 04:33 PM
alos if you squat try wraping your pinky under the bar. this take alot of preasure off your shoulders and biceps

thewicked
05-11-2008, 08:54 PM
try wrist wraps.. maybe weak wrist are causing your forearms pain trying to stabilize them with heavier weights. If they clear it up..and they should.. it should be a problem. I get the kinda pain you're describing when I do BARBELL curls.. it SUCKS and it's hard to UNCURL my fingers when it sets in too. LAME!

wrist wraps helped a TON! I've been using the strangulators from APT and LOVE them! 36" wraps for benching and the 24" wraps for everything else and have been forearm pain free sense!

chris mason
05-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Have you experimented with varying your grip?

Indifference
05-11-2008, 09:45 PM
MNR - thats one thing ive been trying but I havent gotten enough experience to see if it changes things up

Travis - Only occasionally get irritation in my left shoulder while squatting, but this feels entirely different and I get it on both sides.

Ben - haha I know Ive got some girly looking forearms but I can comfortably close a COC2 and can hold 450+ without any issues.

Jeff - I just read up what you were talking about and that sounds EXACTLY what I feel. Im going to try some of the things you recommended for sure!

Rhodes - Well I dont mean it in a bad way, but im glad you know what Im talking about. I definitely have shoulder irritation/swelling from squatting. Ill definitely start icing things a lot more (or should start)

HP - Im pretty sure I tried doing this before and literally couldnt get my grip to that position. Ill definitely work on it and see if I cant figure out a way to pull it off.

Douglas - Ill definitely see if that helps too.

Wicked - If the pain your referring to is what I THINK your referring to, its not the same thing. I know when trying to curl with a straight bar I get a nasty pain in my forearms but its not the same pain. Regardless Ive been avoiding mentioning the wrist wraps but I will be investing in a pair of them as I wanted to address all the people that answered me as whole.

Chris - Ive been trying wider grips but It seems I lose strength/tightness the wider I go out.

Thanks alot for the help guys. Im definitely going to get some wrist wraps now and start icing things. Im going to try and get more vids next pressing session to see if I can get a better shot. Also if anyone else has any ideas please feel free to share them.