PDA

View Full Version : Pull ups search

JustinBm
05-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I have some questions on pull-ups, however, I wanted to search for them first to keep from reposting, there are 1951 or so articles, mostly journals and things, so I am just going to ask. I just bought a golds gym pull up bar, the kind you screw into your doorway. It's ok, a little harder than a regular bar, but that's cool, another challenge. My question is is it ok to do them alot, or am I messing up my muscles rebuilding themselves and hurting myself? I would like to do them everytime I just feel like it, not really a routine, just some added fun to the day, is that ok? I'm not really on any specific workout routine anyway, I just hit the gym in the mornings and rest on the weekends. (Except lately I've been crapping out on myself, but I'm back now). Also, I always hear different things about pull-ups, and I was wondering what exactly gets worked out? I heard everything from just arms to every muscle in the body. I thought I would ask the experts. Thanks a lot.

~Justin~

MPB
05-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I used to do pull ups everyday before I started weightlifting. I'd say doing them everyday would be okay if you simply want to get better at doing pull ups/or want to build muscle endurance, but it wouldn't be a good idea if you're looking to add muscle mass.

Pull ups work your forearms, lats, biceps and rear shoulders. Your triceps and chest work as stabilizers.

jed
05-11-2008, 07:45 PM
i bet it wouldn't hurt as long as when you do them you are healed up. dont do them if your back is already dead from doing them all day the day before. but if you just do 2-3 reps every day for no reason and that's easy for you, it's not gonna make you any better either.

what muscles it works depends on how you do them. wide grip with palms facing away from you will build back more. narrow grip with palms facing toward you will do more biceps.

Coachmanor
05-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Best pull-up to work the lats/biceps/delts is shoulder width palms in the classic chin. Mix up how you do the pull up for maximum results.
Weighted
Wide grip
Close grip
Classic Chin
Close grip chin
Wide grip chin
Slow count (10 seconds up 10 seconds down per rep to failure)

bjohnso
05-13-2008, 11:01 PM
I used to do pull ups everyday before I started weightlifting. I'd say doing them everyday would be okay if you simply want to get better at doing pull ups/or want to build muscle endurance, but it wouldn't be a good idea if you're looking to add muscle mass.

Pull ups work your forearms, lats, biceps and rear shoulders. Your triceps and chest work as stabilizers.

I agree. I prefer chins myself, but to each his own.

Szust
05-17-2008, 01:00 AM
I did weighted chins today. They rocked my world.

JustinBm
05-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I was thinking of trying that. I am actually on vacation in key west right now, I am kinda pissed the hotel my friend booked doesn't have a gym, however, I have been in the pool for a few hours each day, and doing some push ups and pull ups on this pipe that holds up the awning, I am waiting for the hotel people to come yell at me about it, but so far I am getting away with it. I wonder if the pool is helping me exercise, I don't know, this whole deal is kinda turning out to be a wash, I can't wait to get home. Oh well, here's to Friday, when I can get back to the Gym at home! I am gonna kill myself with reps until I feel good about it, then I am going to eat some salmon.

jnich67
06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi all, new guy here. I'm going to piggy-back my question on this thread.

How extended should your arms/shoulders be when lowering yourself on pull-ups/push-ups? What I mean is, should your shoulders extend "out of the socket" - not really out of the socket, but forward that extra couple of inches from wher they normally sit? Or should the shoulders/back be kept all tight and in place? This is hard to explain. Do you know what I mean? Thanks

Jordan

jed
06-05-2008, 09:54 PM
do you mean this (http://www.joshstrength.com/test/images/pullup%20back%20092306.jpg) opposed to this (http://www.mensfitness.com/images/mf/209065/9482.jpg), jnich?

jnich67
06-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Exactly...

Should the start of the pull-up involve "retracting" your shoulders....?

Jordan

ZenMonkey
06-06-2008, 05:54 PM
full ROM. always. This means dead hang.