PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting a belt, questions

BFGUITAR
05-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Ok I have been lazy about getting a belt and will finally commit to one. I never thought I needed one but they seem good to have when going for a one rep max.

Question 1:
Single prong or lever? I'm getting an inzer belt and they are the same price. I know dual pronged ones can be annoying so I wont be getting that.

Question 2:
What size would be good? I am about 200 pounds about to cut to 185 or what ever looks good. I currently have a 34 waist but I do want to get bigger than I am.

Rusty
05-12-2008, 04:17 PM
1: I use double prong. Who told you they were a pain in the ass? They're not.

2: If you want to get bigger, why are you cutting? Get a belt that fits you now. If you grow or shrink to a point where the belt no longer fits, get a new one.

BFGUITAR
05-12-2008, 04:46 PM
1) That was the general consensus around here from what I have read
2) I want to cut first and than put on weight. I have put on a good 20 pounds while already having some bodyfat, a cut is in order.

bjohnso
05-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Inzer has belt sizes and their corresponding waist sizes. Get a belt in black. I ordered one in a weird color and it's just now getting hear, over a month after I ordered it. I missed the UPS man today though, dammit.

Rusty
05-12-2008, 04:54 PM
1) That was the general consensus around here from what I have read

Weird. I don't find it a problem at all. It's just another prong to slip in the hole. I'd probably go with the lever then.

Travis Bell
05-12-2008, 05:00 PM
my personal experience is the double prong belts are a pain and don't really add much more support than a single. I like the lever belt personally. it takes a little fooling around with to get the right spot, but I like it because I can easily flip it looser between attempts. Some guys dont' like the lever belt though. If you wear a squat suit they are a pain because you'll change where you set it to between a bench shirt and a squat suit to your deadlift suit.

deeder
05-12-2008, 05:15 PM
my personal experience is the double prong belts are a pain and don't really add much more support than a single. I like the lever belt personally. it takes a little fooling around with to get the right spot, but I like it because I can easily flip it looser between attempts. Some guys dont' like the lever belt though. If you wear a squat suit they are a pain because you'll change where you set it to between a bench shirt and a squat suit to your deadlift suit.

That and having varying levels of tightness during training is a pain in the ass...

I wear my belt super loose for my first belted warm up, then one notch tighter for the next, then as tight as it will go. Doing that with a lever belt would be a major pain in the ass.

Ben Moore
05-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I like the double prong becuase that's all I've ever used. Mainly personal preference though.

kevdog
05-12-2008, 05:22 PM
sorry to hijack but i measured myself around my gut and I'm at 35 inches, what size should i get if the medium is whatever up to 35 and large is 36-42 or whatever, or maybe i should just get that APT belt

Ben Moore
05-12-2008, 05:23 PM

APT has a bench belt now that is badass - we got a couple for our group from Alan. I would highly recommend it as it is not that expensive.

Reko
05-12-2008, 06:08 PM
I have used double prongs my whole life as well, never had issues with them, although I have nothing to compare to so maybe I am missing out.

I am not a big fan of the levers personally and I haven't used them extensively just here or there when just messing around. But as far as adjusting on the spot, a normal belt is the way to go. Especially if you are cutting/bulking, sometimes you have those days where you are in between and it woudl just be easier with a prong.

BFGUITAR
05-13-2008, 06:58 PM
It seems I can't go wrong with a simple single pronged belt!

bjohnso
05-13-2008, 09:37 PM
My double-pronged inzer just came in the mail today. It's a wee bit difficult to get off with 2 prongs, but I'll live.

jtteg_x
05-14-2008, 02:09 AM
another vote here for single prong. my first belt was a double and it was a bitch to get the tightest fit from it. with a single and more thinner belt, its ease.

so which belt did you end up going with?

Mik
05-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Yup, single prong makes life easier.

BFGUITAR
05-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Single prong, 10mm forever inzer :)

RedSpikeyThing
05-14-2008, 09:43 AM
My double-pronged inzer just came in the mail today. It's a wee bit difficult to get off with 2 prongs, but I'll live.
agreed. I have not problem getting mine on, but getting off can be really annoying.

Single prong, 10mm forever inzer :)
Nice. Go set some PRs!

HP666
05-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I have an Inzer 13MM single prong and it's impossible to get it on tight by myself, and even harder to get it off.

Rusty
05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
I have an Inzer 13MM single prong and it's impossible to get it on tight by myself, and even harder to get it off.

Wrap the end of the belt around one of the posts of a power rack and turn your body away from the belt. Use the other hand to push the prong into the hole. You can get an insane amount of leverage this way and can get the belt tighter than you'll ever need it.

HP666
05-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Wrap the end of the belt around one of the posts of a power rack and turn your body away from the belt. Use the other hand to push the prong into the hole. You can get an insane amount of leverage this way and can get the belt tighter than you'll ever need it.

Yeah, I know all that, it doesn't matter. The belt is so thick and stiff it's impossible. Hell, I've rolled the belt, and folded it and laid a SAFE on it and it still stays stiff. Crazy.

JSully
05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
I have a FlexSports double prong and love it :thumbup:

I saw a new belt that is sort of like a truck tie down ratchet and tightens or loosens to whatever you want.. it's pretty expensive though ($140ish)

BFGUITAR
05-21-2008, 10:30 AM
I just got my belt yesterday!
I am very excited to use it tomorrow!

Question... are belts generally allowed in all federations when benching?

Reko
05-21-2008, 10:33 AM
I know in APA and UPA they do, and they probably do in all or most others, and if you lift with a bench shirt you will probably want one anyway to help hold ths shirt down.

Ben Moore
05-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I know all that, it doesn't matter. The belt is so thick and stiff it's impossible. Hell, I've rolled the belt, and folded it and laid a SAFE on it and it still stays stiff. Crazy.

Roll it up opposite ways each time you put it away. It will get better, but then again you want a stiff belt and one that's not going to break down quickly. Bob's Belts is still one of the greatest belts I own and it's been going strong for 8+ years.