PDA

View Full Version : Help with Training for Hockey

hockeysniper
05-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Hey all. I am a 16 year old sophomore athlete who plays AAA and Varsity ice hockey. Im a very quick skater, and have good hands and good vision (passing). However, when talking to scouts, they have all been concerned about my size. Im 6' 0", but I only weight 150 LBS. Im committing my entire summer to bulking up, and gaining at least 15 lbs. I plan on using Muscle Milk to help me achieve this. My question to you, what would be a good program for me? I haven't done much serious weight lifting, only things like pushups, chinups, and situps. I have fairly good endurace; my 5k time is about 19:15. If any one could devise a program, or at least recommend one for me, that would be great. I need to gain the weight, however, without losing speed/ quickness, and keep in mind that I will be on the ice a lot during the summer.

Thanks for reading my post. Also, one quick question, I'm about to join LA Fitness, is that a good gym? Im thinking about getting a personal trainer; is that a good idea?

frank
05-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey all. I am a 16 year old sophomore athlete who plays AAA and Varsity ice hockey. Im a very quick skater, and have good hands and good vision (passing). However, when talking to scouts, they have all been concerned about my size. Im 6' 0", but I only weight 150 LBS. Im committing my entire summer to bulking up, and gaining at least 15 lbs. I plan on using Muscle Milk to help me achieve this. My question to you, what would be a good program for me? I haven't done much serious weight lifting, only things like pushups, chinups, and situps. I have fairly good endurace; my 5k time is about 19:15. If any one could devise a program, or at least recommend one for me, that would be great. I need to gain the weight, however, without losing speed/ quickness, and keep in mind that I will be on the ice a lot during the summer.

Thanks for reading my post. Also, one quick question, I'm about to join LA Fitness, is that a good gym? Im thinking about getting a personal trainer; is that a good idea?

i can help you with the supplements. check out http://atlargenutrition.com/.

i recommend
maximus
results
opticen

Ben Moore
05-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Reko on here is a former hockey player and I'm sure would be a good guy to get in touch with.

skydeaner
05-12-2008, 07:26 PM
the above supplements would all be great. What is your current diet like, and what does your workout look like? Also, what kind of practices do you run off season if any?

Reko
05-12-2008, 10:03 PM
With being on the ice and lifting all the time, the only way to gain weight is to eat like a horse. Literally chow down more food than you think you can handle day in and day out. Weight gain (or loss) is simply a matter of calories in vs calories out, and you are going to have a lot going out so the more you can have going in, the better.

As far as workouts, stick to the basic compound movements (squats, bench press, standing overhead, deadlifts, pull ups, etc) and ab work. More importantly, outside the weight room, you need to continue to run or condition yourself to stay in shape and to stay fast. Bulking up wont make you slow necessarily, but you will feel it in your conditioning. So stairs/hills are good, but also are sled and prowler. If you gym doesn't have these, and they likely wont, you can make a sled real cheap by using an old car tire and attaching a rope or chain to it and filling it with weights or rocks if you don't have those. Once or twice a week do that, switch up heavy days where you aren't moving fast but you are dragging a lot of weight, with days where you are running at a slow pace but you are dragging a weight behind you. Short bursts 50-150 feet depending on how ambitious you get.

Honestly, does your school have a football team with a coach who has some idea how to train the kids? As far as weight room stuff goes, you might want to talk with that coach and see if he will take you under his wing. I think that would be the best route to go.

You lookin to go juniors or to college?

hockeysniper
05-13-2008, 04:58 AM
thanks a lot everyone. and thanks in particular to Reko.

In answer to your question, hopefully straight to NCAA. I'll probably play one year of prep after this year. I couldn't try out for JRS because the cost is a big step up from AAA. Right now, I'm looking at the Gunnery and Cushing, but I may just end up staying here because right now I have a fair amount of D3 scouts and some D1 scouts looking at me. If I decide I want to play D1, I'll probably end up playing a year in the USHL to raise my game/ profile.

Reko
05-13-2008, 06:12 AM
I'll have to double check but I think Jr A is for the most part free, with sponsors and GMs taking care of everything you need. You stay in a support home if you move out of town. Not a bad route to go if you don't mind tons of travel/ice time and getting into fights :)

hockeysniper
05-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I'll have to double check but I think Jr A is for the most part free, with sponsors and GMs taking care of everything you need. You stay in a support home if you move out of town. Not a bad route to go if you don't mind tons of travel/ice time and getting into fights :)

hmm interesting. Living in maryland, we aren't exactly a hockey hot spos :). I got asked to try out for Jr Nats, a JR A team but they arent very good, and again, 10 thousand dollars is too much. Plus my team (Team MD) is not bad, we finished in the top 25 of the nation

Reko
05-13-2008, 04:37 PM
try looking outside the state. Jr A. is free because you can be traded or released at anytime, so they want to have full control over you. I never "officially" played, but practiced for a bit and dressed for one game. I was a backup goalie for a very brief time lol.

It was ice time early in the morning, weights afterwards (or vice versa) and then travel for games. An extremely demanding schedule for sure, but good hockey no doubt. try checking into some other teams because it sounds odd that Jr A cost 10 grand. That doesn't sound right at all. Hell the Jr. Blues (Jr. B) in STL only cost around 3 grand a few years ago I think.

Reko
05-14-2008, 06:27 AM
I talked toa buddy of mine who played for the Chicago Steel and went on to play full fride at Brown University. Here's what he had to say about fees and juniors:

"Each league is determined by tier status; tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3. I played in the US's only tier 1 league, the ushl. I believe that the nahl and ejhl are tier 2, and this year a tier 3 league was formed. St. Louis Jr. B's league (cshl) gained this status, so now they are considered jr. a. Money is what determines the tiers. Tier 1 is very profitable due to better competition and larger attendances, so if this kid is playing tier 1 he wouldn't pay a dime for anything (travel, fees, equipment, etc). Tier 2 pays for team fees (travel, ice) and some equipment, but i believe that the kid has to pay for housing and the rest of their stuff (housing would be like $200 a month paid to a housing family for where the kid would stay). And as for tier 3, i believe that the kid would have to pay for the majority of all the fees and equipment. So find out where the kid wants to play juniors."