PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Colon Cleanse?

natejamesc26
05-12-2008, 09:09 PM
So besides the obvious benefits of having a overall healthier body can anyone who has experience with this give me the lowdown...I'm almost 20 and have never had it done...I also read somewhere that it cleans out your intestines which could make your stomach look slimmer which could help because Im 5'11 175 15% body fat and I can't seem to get rid of my small pooch on my stomach...thanks

razorcut
05-15-2008, 12:53 PM
There are no benefits. It's nonsense, pure & simple. The human intestinal system is designed with its own inherent cleaning mechanism. If you feel there is a problem with your colonic function, you should visit a medical doctor....not the herbal colon cleaning man. Lastly, the visible "pooch" on your stomach is adipose tissue....not a protruding colon.

Holto
05-15-2008, 01:32 PM
It's nonsense, pure & simple. The human intestinal system is designed with its own inherent cleaning mechanism.

So why do conditions like diverticulitis exist?

razorcut
05-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Because digestive organs (just like any other organ in the body) are susceptible to pathology. Diverticulitis is due to a localized structural problem in the wall of the bowel. A colonic treatment isn't going to prevent that.

JonTheFisher
05-15-2008, 08:17 PM
just make sure you get about 30grams of fiber per day and your colon will stay clear

Holto
05-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Diverticulitis is due to a localized structural problem in the wall of the bowel.

My question:

What causes these problems?

& my understanding after reading a book co-authored by a colo-rectal surgeon is that it's caused by an impacting of feces that is not being cleared by the body.

Here is the link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Gut-Solutions-Natural-Digestive-Problems/dp/0971930929/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210955298&sr=1-4

The surgeon said he often thought, after cutting someones body up, that there must be some way to prevent this from happening.

Gonzo
05-16-2008, 09:55 PM
You could just do the UD2 Diet, for me it seems like Im cleaning my colon every week after the carb load, it must be sparkling by now!

razorcut
05-17-2008, 09:06 AM
What causes these problems?The cause of diverticulosis is not 100% clear, but it appears to be associated with low-fiber diets, constipation, and obesity.

If constipation is your underlying concern, I'd recommend increasing your dietary fiber, a stool softener, or (for only the most severe epidsodes) an occasional laxative. I would not recommend a trip to the local herbal/homeopathic colonic man.

These procedures (colonics) aren't safe for a number of reasons:

*No medical license or formal training is required to perform
*Outbreaks of severe infections have been reported (from inadequately sterilized equipment).....let that one sink in visually
*Severe electrolyte imbalance has been reported (due to excessive fluid absorption occurring during the "irrigation"......the colon is not meant to withstand that much fluid directly introduced onto its surface)
*Congestive Heart Failure (same reason as above)
*Bowel perforation (in some cases leading to death)

Torrok
05-17-2008, 04:21 PM
So besides the obvious benefits of having a overall healthier body can anyone who has experience with this give me the lowdown...I'm almost 20 and have never had it done...I also read somewhere that it cleans out your intestines which could make your stomach look slimmer which could help because Im 5'11 175 15% body fat and I can't seem to get rid of my small pooch on my stomach...thanks

hah, but you wont be. wouldnt that make you feel worse? hidding what you really are?

Holto
05-21-2008, 11:07 AM
*No medical license or formal training is required to perform
*Outbreaks of severe infections have been reported (from inadequately sterilized equipment).....let that one sink in visually
*Severe electrolyte imbalance has been reported (due to excessive fluid absorption occurring during the "irrigation"......the colon is not meant to withstand that much fluid directly introduced onto its surface)
*Congestive Heart Failure (same reason as above)
*Bowel perforation (in some cases leading to death)

The nice thing is that none of that applies to the colon cleanses you would pick up in a health food store.

Such as re-cleanse.

razorcut
05-21-2008, 03:01 PM
The nice thing is that none of that applies to the colon cleanses you would pick up in a health food store.Correct. Those apply only to the so-called "colonics".

Such as re-cleanse.
Just looked at the recleanse website. Laughable....to me anyway. Exactly what "toxins" are they going after? Unfortunately "toxin" is as specific as the website gets. I'd also be curious exactly what "toxins" are removed from the body that aren't removed by our body's own "detox centers"...such as the liver/kidney/bowel.

Holto
05-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Just looked at the recleanse website. Laughable....to me anyway. Exactly what "toxins" are they going after? Unfortunately "toxin" is as specific as the website gets. I'd also be curious exactly what "toxins" are removed from the body that aren't removed by our body's own "detox centers"...such as the liver/kidney/bowel.

I had one given to me, I felt amazing for months after I took it. I take it every so often at half strength.

A simple example of a toxin could be pesticides, we have clinical data that demonstrates they build up in the body.

razorcut
05-22-2008, 02:37 PM
A simple example of a toxin could be pesticides....Could be, I suppose. But unfortunately, there's no specific reference on their website as to which "toxins" this treatment is directed toward. Call me cynical, but my strong suspicion is that this ambiguity is not by accident.

....we have clinical data that demonstrates they build up in the body.Not to beat a dead horse, but is there evidence anywhere that indicates these herbal treatments (such as recleanse) remove these "toxins" better than our own body's natural detox centers?

Holto
05-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Could be, I suppose. But unfortunately, there's no specific reference on their website as to which "toxins" this treatment is directed toward. Call me cynical, but my strong suspicion is that this ambiguity is not by accident.

I've done training with Dr's from their Canadian distributor. In natural medicine a toxin is defined as anything that is not a nutrient. Anything that enters your body that does not provide value to the body is a drain on the bodies resources.

Not to beat a dead horse, but is there evidence anywhere that indicates these herbal treatments (such as recleanse) remove these "toxins" better than our own body's natural detox centers?

Clinical evidence is extremely expensive to produce. As the industry starts to require more evidence, we'll probably see many natural products disappear.

As it stands right now, the cost to benefit ratio is too low. A well conducted study would have to increase net sales more than the cost of the study.

I should say in my case, I do many things with the hope that it will increase my wellness, I'm sure a lot of them are total BS. I'm just far too happy with the way I feel all the time to stop doing it. A lot of it started when I began cleansing, 'oh I can't eat that, I'm doing a cleanse'. After several cleanses I've completely removed anything I consider toxic from my daily diet and I have a huge focus on the 38 essential nutrients. I'll never go back to living the way I did because I don't want to feel the way I felt. If you had asked me back then how I felt, I would have said 100%, no medical issues, good energy levels etc. Until you experience a heightened level of wellness, you'll never know the difference.

Max Thunder
05-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Holto, I'm not sure I get this right. Are you saying that you did many nutritional change at the same time you used that recleasne product?

I tried to find what was in that recleanse and couldn't. Why do they hide such information from their website (or do I just suck at finding information on their ugly website?).
Anyway, I found the info on another website, and it's just a bunch of common herbs, nothing special... The main ingredient seems to be fiber...

How can feces become impacted for a sufficiently long time to warrant the need for cleansing? There are so many microbes in our intestines that them alone can prevent build-ups of anything organic.

razorcut
05-22-2008, 08:11 PM
In natural medicine a toxin is defined as anything that is not a nutrient.Your definition, perhaps. Again, no definition or clarity offered on the product's website.

Anything that enters your body that does not provide value to the body is a drain on the bodies resources.How so exactly? What resources?

Clinical evidence is extremely expensive to produce. And inconvenient.

As the industry starts to require more evidence, we'll probably see many natural products disappear.Agreed. A statement in itself.

I should say in my case, I do many things with the hope that it will increase my wellness, I'm sure a lot of them are total BS.For some reason, I think you're the ideal "target audience" for this sort of product.

Until you experience a heightened level of wellness, you'll never know the difference.I feel great right now, with no said "cleansing" treatment?

Guido
05-23-2008, 09:26 AM
It's a load of crap (literally). Your body is quite adept at removing itself of waste products thanks to millions of years of evolution. Colonics are a great way to play on people's fears and insecurities for monetary gain, just like 90% of the other supplementary "wellness services" that are out there.

Spartan936
05-24-2008, 12:53 AM
I got to agree with razorcut and Guido. There's no evidence, and there will never be any. I believed in it for a long time myself. Plus, think of the placebo effect that it might cause in some people.

Holto
05-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Holto, I'm not sure I get this right. Are you saying that you did many nutritional change at the same time you used that recleasne product?

No.

How can feces become impacted for a sufficiently long time to warrant the need for cleansing?

How do people develop diseases like diverticulits? Some people have terrible diets, some people have weak colons.

Holto
05-25-2008, 09:46 PM
How so exactly? What resources?

One example of resources would be the liver enzymes needed to convert a toxin to a phase II toxin that is then later cleared from the blood by the liver and sent to the colon. The organs of elimination have to work to get rid of these substances.

For some reason, I think you're the ideal "target audience" for this sort of product.
I feel great right now, with no said "cleansing" treatment?

I don't think anybody that visits this site, studies nutrition science and reads clinical studies is ideal for the alternative health industry. I acknowledge that many natural products don't work and don't do what they are claimed to do.

I feel great right now, with no said "cleansing" treatment?

I thought I felt great too. I was a serious athlete following a very strict diet for many years. Until you feel *better* you don't realize there is a better.

One of the founding philosophies of alternative health is to view health as a a continuum, there is no discrete perfect health. When you wake up with an abundance of energy, deal with stress easily and are in a good mood most of the time you're in the upper end of the continuum.

Holto
05-25-2008, 09:52 PM
It's a load of crap (literally). Your body is quite adept at removing itself of waste products thanks to millions of years of evolution. Colonics are a great way to play on people's fears and insecurities for monetary gain, just like 90% of the other supplementary "wellness services" that are out there.

We have clinical data that shows things like pesticides build up in the body. I've posted them on this site before. Why are they not being eliminated?

Your body is not adept at removing things like PCB's and Dioxin. These are two things that will never leave your body. There is a laundry list of toxins out there that aren't even as old as the average poster on this site.

Yes the body is amazing in many regards, like the ability of HCL to kill bacteria etc, unfortunately our bodies haven't had the chance to adapt to many of the man made Xenobiotics we come into contact with on a daily basis.

dogsoldier
05-27-2008, 08:40 PM
The only thing those "colon cleaners" do is lighten your wallet. Yeah they will make you poop. But there is NO peer reviewed studies that say these products "clear toxins" from your system, A good deal of these products are targeted to the environmentally neurotic crowd. Or fat chicks who want to lose 10 pounds real fast so they can convince themselves that sitting on the couch watching Oprah while stuffing a case of Twinkies in their mouth they can actually lose weight. The guy who invented the colon flush was the same guy who started Kellogg Cereals around the turn of the century. He was an utter and complete nut job. Kellogg Corn Flakes were invented to promote the intake of dietary fiber in the turn of the century diet, so post Victorian well to do can get a good BM going.

Save your money. If you want a good cleaning pick up some ground while psyllium seeds (about $5), a bottle of activated charcoal pills (about $5, these help with any gas bloating from the psyllium) and a Bottle of Senna leaf powder pills (about $10, this is a natural laxative and will help prevent cramping). Every day for a week, morning and night, mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of the psyllium in a glass of water, pop 2 or 3 of the charcoal and Senna. Drink a minimum of a gallon of water through out the day. Your colon will be squeaky clean. If you are taking any meds or supplements, do them and hour before or after the psyllium.

The total cost will be about $20 depending on your area and you will have enough to do about three or four cycles of these. Those commercial flushes start in the $40 range. My sister who was a nurse while going through med school worked for a fat doctor. He would put his his obese patients on the first generation Atkins diet (meat, fat and water, no fiber) in those days. After a month or so, the patients would complain about constipation, this is what the doc told them to do.

razorcut
06-10-2008, 10:08 AM
One example of resources would be the liver enzymes needed to convert a toxin to a phase II toxin that is then later cleared from the blood by the liver and sent to the colon. The organs of elimination have to work to get rid of these substances.This is true. Our body's own organs/detox centers work to clear these toxins. But again, there is absolutely zero evidence showing that these colon cleansing approaches do this with any more efficiency than our own body's inherent detoxification process.

One of the founding philosophies of alternative health is to view health as a a continuum, there is no discrete perfect health.Which allows for a very subjective measure of "success". Measuring success as anecdotally "feeling good" is not objective science. In fact, it's not science at all.

SDS
06-10-2008, 10:21 AM
You really don't want to go flushing out your colon because the required bacteria would possibly go right out as well, then you'd be in a mess.