PDA

View Full Version : Best of all time

PriestCometh
05-13-2008, 02:19 PM
I was thinkin about this reading Rocks thread.
Who was the best Powerlifter(lightweight and heavy) of all time?
And the best bencher(lightweight and heavy) of all time?

PL
Lightweight: Inaba - 17 time world champ(that says it all)

Heavy: Ed Coan - Do I need to explain this one? lol. The man still has the best deadlift ever hit(IMO)

Bench
Lightweight: Brad Heck(hands down). Even though we are 1-1, he is the best ever.

Heavy: Luyando(I like the lighter guys). Raw - Mendelson(hands down)

bencher8
05-13-2008, 02:31 PM
have u seen rob lately? there's nothing light about him! lol

PriestCometh
05-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Havent seen Rob in awhile. I wont call him rotund until he hits the 308s. lol

Rob Luyando
05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
have u seen rob lately? there's nothing light about him! lol

Man whats your problem? You need to get over your jealousy! Always trippen on my ability to decrease my range of motion and my well develped benchers boiler!

All time favorites?
Lightweight Fullpower - Frankle a legend in the making
Heavyweight - Eddy Coan/Andy Bolton

Lightweigth benchers - Halbert/Patterson
Heavyweight benchers - Kennelly, Ken Lain

Raw - who cares!

Ryano
05-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Full power-
light- Frankl
Hvy- Coan

Bench
light- Frankl(810 @ 198!!!!!!)
Hvy- Kennelly

Rob's in there in the benchers somewhere, but is he light or hvy???? Hahhaaha

Big_Byrd52
05-13-2008, 04:29 PM
whats the light and heavy cut off?

RhodeHouse
05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Lightweights? We go to the circus to see the elephants, not the mice.

Full Power - Ed Coan/Chuck Vogelpohl

Bench - Ryan Kennelly

There's also a very short list of guys with an official 800+ equipped bench and a 600+ unequipped bench.

PriestCometh
05-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I would say lightweight would be 198 and under.

rhodehouse - Actually, I go to see the monkeys and clowns. If I wanted to see a bunch of fat people sweat, I would go to walmart everyday.

PriestCometh
05-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Full power-
light- Frankl
Hvy- Coan

Bench
light- Frankl(810 @ 198!!!!!!)
Hvy- Kennelly

Rob's in there in the benchers somewhere, but is he light or hvy???? Hahhaaha

Ryano,

I agree Frankl was built in some kind of lab. but, i had to give the lightweight bencher to heck because of longevity. even when brad gets too fat for the 165s/181s he can still bump up to the 198s.

kicka$$ list

SGT ROCK
05-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Lightweights: Gant, Inaba, Kutcher and Inzer

Middleweight up to 220: Coan, Cash, Bridges

Hwt: Kuc, Reinhoudt, Karwoski, Coan...again,

You could add many more, but remember.....if one wants to break a record of the past, would they not want to do it in at least SIMILAR conditions to TRULY break it? For arguments sake, I would say YES. If someone walked out a squat and wore single ply gear with 2 hour weigh ins, is that the same as a monolift, triple ply gear and a 48 hour weigh in? Those that wished to state that gear advances are just normal....ok....forget that for a minute, and argue the 48 hour weigh in factor which is HUGE.

Semper Fi

bencher8
05-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Robs not as far from 308 as you might think! Throw a couple small rocks in his pocket and he is in!

Since I am a bencher:

light: frankl, halbert, mcdonald, rob
Heavy: Ryan, AC, he's a butthead sometimes, but I guess Mendy has to be up there.

Ryano
05-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Ryano,

even when brad gets too fat for the 165s/181s he can still bump up to the 198s.

kicka$$ list

I thought this list was "the best". Not the best 3 or 4? If we were talkin' best 3 or 4 "FAT" lightweights, I'd have to put the "Priest" in there. LOL

chris mason
05-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Reinhoudt has to be in contention. The man totalled over 2400 lbs raw with no monolift.

SGT ROCK
05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Reinhoudt has to be in contention. The man totalled over 2400 lbs raw with no monolift.

Without question, his record stood FOREVER, the holy grail for decades was his 2400 plus total under strict IPF conditions.

Semper Fi

PriestCometh
05-14-2008, 01:02 PM

You could add many more, but remember.....if one wants to break a record of the past, would they not want to do it in at least SIMILAR conditions to TRULY break it? For arguments sake, I would say YES. If someone walked out a squat and wore single ply gear with 2 hour weigh ins, is that the same as a monolift, triple ply gear and a 48 hour weigh in? Those that wished to state that gear advances are just normal....ok....forget that for a minute, and argue the 48 hour weigh in factor which is HUGE.

Semper Fi

actually, alot of folks i know just cant get used to the monolift. and still walk the weight out. Look at bernor here. He has walked out 1100 pounds. nobody discredits lifts in the past. but most of the big squat numbers has to do with gear like canvas squatters(IMO). its obvious when the biggest squats back then were 1000 pound squats and now it is over 1200. people have been stretching the rules for years, weather it be cut in half tennis balls behind the knees, canvas powerpants underneath singlets, canvas/leather bench shirts, elbow wraps, etc.

48 hour weigh ins dont exist anymore. so, thank god that isnt an issue anymore.

PriestCometh
05-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Robs not as far from 308 as you might think! Throw a couple small rocks in his pocket and he is in!

Since I am a bencher:

light: frankl, halbert, mcdonald, rob
Heavy: Ryan, AC, he's a butthead sometimes, but I guess Mendy has to be up there.

did u just put rob as a lightweight?

thats like saying a triple whopper with cheese is just another cheeseburger.

PriestCometh
05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I thought this list was "the best". Not the best 3 or 4? If we were talkin' best 3 or 4 "FAT" lightweights, I'd have to put the "Priest" in there. LOL

I have lost weight. And I am big boned....your right, I am fat. Damn it. lol
I have lost quite a bit of weight since I have gone back to squatting.

The best fat guy story I have is I was getting ready for a national meet and dieting down to 181. We go to a BBQ buffet before weigh ins. I had water with lemon and Jack Reape went with me. He made 6 trips to the buffet and on his last trip he had Ice Cream and I saw something sticking out of it and it was a BBQ Rib. lol:fart:

PriestCometh
05-14-2008, 01:15 PM

Definately is considered. He was a beast. But, as far as heavies or lights go, Ed Coan cant be touched in three lifts.

PriestCometh
05-14-2008, 01:20 PM

Semper Fi

That reminded me of something. I did a workout recently with Caminita, Mendy and the folks at F-I-T and I hit a 507 raw bench and nobody said a damn thing. Then put gear on and hit 688, then 705 and the guys that were just watching(average joes off the street) were amazed. It kinda explains alot. Strange.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
05-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Powerlifting
Light weight: Inaba
Middle weight: Ed coan & Mike Bridges
Heavy Weight: Bill Kaizmeir, Reinhoudt, Karwoski & Kuc

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
http://www.atlargenutrition.com/fivepiecepuzzle.php

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
05-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Bench press
Heavy weight: Ryan Kennelly, James Henderson, Scott Mendelson, Ted Arcidi

Middle weight: Rob Luyando, Mike Macdonald,George Halbert,Dennis Ceiri, Shawn Frankl

Light weight: Joe Mazza, Joe Ceklovsky, Markus Schick

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
http://www.atlargenutrition.com/fivepiecepuzzle.php

bencher8
05-14-2008, 02:39 PM
well Rob was a 220 at one time...i guess he should be in the heavy's lol

I will defer all comments about triple whoppers to Rob..he knows more about them than me...lol

Heavy: Ryan, Arcidi, Lain, Mendy, Rob
Light: Halbert, Mcdonald, Heck, Frankl,

Rob Luyando
05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
well Rob was a 220 at one time...i guess he should be in the heavy's lol

I will defer all comments about triple whoppers to Rob..he knows more about them than me...lol

Heavy: Ryan, Arcidi, Lain, Mendy, Rob
Light: Halbert, Mcdonald, Heck, Frankl,

What the hell did I ever do to deserve such ridicule from you? And then you list me after Mendy? If you were such a good hand off man I would make fun of you! :evillaugh:

SGT ROCK
05-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Lets stay on topic folks:)

Semper Fi

SGT ROCK
05-14-2008, 08:18 PM
actually, alot of folks i know just cant get used to the monolift. and still walk the weight out.

I disagree...the MAJORITY of the NEW world records are done with the monolift...its fact. I for one LOVE the monolift by the way.

Look at bernor here. He has walked out 1100 pounds. nobody discredits lifts in the past. but most of the big squat numbers has to do with gear like canvas squatters(IMO). its obvious when the biggest squats back then were 1000 pound squats and now it is over 1200. people have been stretching the rules for years, weather it be cut in half tennis balls behind the knees, canvas powerpants underneath singlets, canvas/leather bench shirts, elbow wraps, etc.

Advances in gear are def the reason for the huge increase in the wr squats

48 hour weigh ins dont exist anymore. so, thank god that isnt an issue anymore.

Nope but many of the old IPF records that many "broke" were NOT done with 2 hour weigh ins as in the past. Example....Eddy Coans wr total, squat and dl at 220 were done with no shirt, no monolift, no dl bar, and a 2 hour weigh in....I post that for arguements sake.

Semper Fi

bencher8
05-14-2008, 08:37 PM
lists are in no particular order rob....lol

i cant even make the list...so be proud

vdizenzo
05-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Let me see, ummm, ME!

Rob Luyando
05-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Let me see, ummm, ME!

Aren't we modest. :evillaugh:

RhodeHouse
05-15-2008, 09:31 AM
I would say lightweight would be 198 and under.

rhodehouse - Actually, I go to see the monkeys and clowns. If I wanted to see a bunch of fat people sweat, I would go to walmart everyday.

Any man under 200lbs is a woman. And, that my friend, is why you fail.

Check out Chuck V, Ryan Kennelly, Scot Mendelson and tell me they're fat. It's a badge of honor to get so big that you can't see your collar bones and cheeks. That means you've put some time in under the weights and actually have a yoke to put your shirt on, not just a clotheshanger that you like to call shoulders.

RhodeHouse
05-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I forgot about Kaz. He held the all-time record until Matt Smith broke it in '97 or something like that. That record stood for 15+ years.

PriestCometh
05-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Nope but many of the old IPF records that many "broke" were NOT done with 2 hour weigh ins as in the past. Example....Eddy Coans wr total, squat and dl at 220 were done with no shirt, no monolift, no dl bar, and a 2 hour weigh in....I post that for arguements sake.

Semper Fi

True, but Coan is a freak of nature. Him and Kuc you could put them on the platform any year with any gear and he would be the best.

PriestCometh
05-15-2008, 11:19 AM

Check out Chuck V, Ryan Kennelly, Scot Mendelson and tell me they're fat. It's a badge of honor to get so big that you can't see your collar bones and cheeks. That means you've put some time in under the weights and actually have a yoke to put your shirt on, not just a clotheshanger that you like to call shoulders.

I wouldnt say that now. Frankl, Coker, Coan, Halbert, Kutcher, Mash, Kellum, McVicker, Heck, Fry put up bigger weights than 95% of the heavies out there.

There was a guy I used to train with that ate himself up two weight classes only to bench 40 pounds more. He looked like a heart attack waiting to happen. Couldnt walk 10 feet without hooking up to an oxygen tank. That is great for the sport.

Evidently, you havent seen some of the lightweights shoulders that are out there.

Scot, Ryan and Chuck are only 3 people. Most Supers are not built like that.
Its funny you brought this up. We were talkin about this at the gym the other day. If this is true what your saying then why does everytime that Jeff Lewis puts up an insane number, people make fun of him because of his weight?

Do you think there should be a top weight cutoff for supers?

Good debate. All are great lifters on these lists.

PriestCometh
05-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Let me see, ummm, ME!

u r the man vinny.

But, this aint a cannonball diving contest. lol

they should have it in the olympics. who makes the biggest splash gets the 10 on my card.

Travis Bell
05-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I wouldnt say that now. Frankl, Coker, Coan, Halbert, Kutcher, Mash, Kellum, McVicker, Heck, Fry put up bigger weights than 95% of the heavies out there.

Yeah I'll agree with that. George his huge! As well as Frankl. Both are quite big boys

Its funny you brought this up. We were talkin about this at the gym the other day. If this is true what your saying then why does everytime that Jeff Lewis puts up an insane number, people make fun of him because of his weight?

I think its mostly trolls that make fun of Jeff lewis for his weight. But there is also a difference between 500lbs and 200lbs.

as for a top weight cut off for supers? nah, I figure let people weigh what they want. If Jeff wants to be 500lbs, so be it. I remember a few other supers who have been around the 450+ mark as well. I don't think it'd be real cool to be turning people away from the SHW class because they were too heavy.

vdizenzo
05-15-2008, 12:31 PM
You guys have no clue. I am under 300lbs now. I am 299lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal.

Lightweights--who cares? When was the last time they showed the lightweight World's Strongest Man on ESPN? People go to the circus to see the elephants not the mice.

Seriously I respect all weight classes, but I'd rather compete with the big boys. I did my first competition at 198 and have been packing on the pounds ever since. For the record I have never made fun of Jeff Lewis. This sport is about strength not beauty. If you look at a lot of the elite heavies they are not slobs. Take for instance Chad, Donnie, Bolton, Childress, Ruggiera, Bartley, etc. all big guys and muscular.

If you were trapped under a car who would you want to lift it off of you, Mike Bridges who deadlifted 771 which is 4.24X bodyweight or Andy Bolton who deadlifted 1003 which is 2.8X bodyweight?

Game--Set--Match!

RhodeHouse
05-15-2008, 03:51 PM
u r the man vinny.

But, this aint a cannonball diving contest. lol

they should have it in the olympics. who makes the biggest splash gets the 10 on my card.

800lb equipped bench and 600lb unequipped - that's a post that should be made. Who are the people in the world with an 800+ equipped and 600+ unequipped? Not many.

Off the top of my head, with not a lot of time to think about it, I can think of 2.

Scot Mendelson and Vincent Dizenzo. I know there are more, but not many.

And Ryan has not done 600 in a contest, to my knowledge, so don't be throwing his name out there. Eventhough, we know he's good for it. It only counts in a contest.

RhodeHouse
05-15-2008, 03:55 PM

There was a guy I used to train with that ate himself up two weight classes only to bench 40 pounds more. He looked like a heart attack waiting to happen. Couldnt walk 10 feet without hooking up to an oxygen tank. That is great for the sport.

Evidently, you havent seen some of the lightweights shoulders that are out there.

Scot, Ryan and Chuck are only 3 people. Most Supers are not built like that.

Sorry dude, I don't speak "small". I have a lot of respect for all lifters. We all fight the same battles. I'm just not that impressed with some of the numbers that people think are so mind-blowing. Just a matter of opinion.

As for the lightweights with big shoulders, you missed my point, but no big deal. Here's how I look at it. If you have to take off your shirt to look jacked, or wear a tight shirt to look jacked - YOU'RE NOT JACKED. Jeff Lewis is JACKED! He's a beautiful specimen and should be revered. He could be in Rhodestown.

PriestCometh
05-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah I'll agree with that. George his huge! As well as Frankl. Both are quite big boys

I think its mostly trolls that make fun of Jeff lewis for his weight. But there is also a difference between 500lbs and 200lbs.

as for a top weight cut off for supers? nah, I figure let people weigh what they want. If Jeff wants to be 500lbs, so be it. I remember a few other supers who have been around the 450+ mark as well. I don't think it'd be real cool to be turning people away from the SHW class because they were too heavy.

I agree. People should weigh what they want.

PriestCometh
05-15-2008, 04:54 PM
You guys have no clue. I am under 300lbs now. I am 299lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal.

Lightweights--who cares? When was the last time they showed the lightweight World's Strongest Man on ESPN? People go to the circus to see the elephants not the mice.

Seriously I respect all weight classes, but I'd rather compete with the big boys. I did my first competition at 198 and have been packing on the pounds ever since. For the record I have never made fun of Jeff Lewis. This sport is about strength not beauty. If you look at a lot of the elite heavies they are not slobs. Take for instance Chad, Donnie, Bolton, Childress, Ruggiera, Bartley, etc. all big guys and muscular.

If you were trapped under a car who would you want to lift it off of you, Mike Bridges who deadlifted 771 which is 4.24X bodyweight or Andy Bolton who deadlifted 1003 which is 2.8X bodyweight?

Game--Set--Match!

People will watch what you televise...period.
examples:Curling, hot dog eating contests, spelling bees, national jump rope, arm wrestling, rosanne barr, etc. We are sheeple, we just follow the herd.
Its true.

But, how many headliners do you see as heavies in the ufc lately?
Bj penn, gsp, hughes, serra, lil evil, griffin, rampage, liddell, ortiz, sherk, jardine, wanderlei silva, henderson, anderson silva, bisping, etc.
if people really wanted to see the elephants, then why isnt christian wellisch headlining the bj penn vs. sherk card? hughes/alves is headlining the next one, not hardonk? the next two cards after that dont even have heavies fighting. i brought this up because it is what is popular. and it is what people want to see. and there is alot of talk lately trying to have the average joe get interested in PL.

I agree those are some great lifters. and it isnt a beauty contest.
that is true. as far as who do i want lifting a car off of me, I want whoever gets there first. I dont want the guy to stop by two buffets on the way over to help me, walking along with his oxygen tank. lol

You told me personally that you wanted to lose some lbs. nobody here is making fun of Jeff. I see it everytime jeffs name comes up, some fricken troll has to say something stupid.

good stuff. you are my hero, vinny.

PriestCometh
05-15-2008, 04:57 PM
800lb equipped bench and 600lb unequipped - that's a post that should be made. Who are the people in the world with an 800+ equipped and 600+ unequipped? Not many.

Off the top of my head, with not a lot of time to think about it, I can think of 2.

Scot Mendelson and Vincent Dizenzo. I know there are more, but not many.

And Ryan has not done 600 in a contest, to my knowledge, so don't be throwing his name out there. Eventhough, we know he's good for it. It only counts in a contest.

True. Ryan hasnt done it in a contest. Nobody is downing Vinnys accomplishments. He knows I dig him. Just f'n with the guy.

some background:
We both did Benchamerica and when we were talking, he brought up him doing cannonball dives into the hot tub.

PriestCometh
05-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Sorry dude, I don't speak "small". I have a lot of respect for all lifters. We all fight the same battles. I'm just not that impressed with some of the numbers that people think are so mind-blowing. Just a matter of opinion.

As for the lightweights with big shoulders, you missed my point, but no big deal. Here's how I look at it. If you have to take off your shirt to look jacked, or wear a tight shirt to look jacked - YOU'RE NOT JACKED. Jeff Lewis is JACKED! He's a beautiful specimen and should be revered. He could be in Rhodestown.

Jeff Lewis is an animal. And a nice cat.

True, very true. under armour shirts should be outlawed unless you are a good looking woman.

True. Some lifts are not that impressive.

Is Coan the best ever, or was he too small?

Next time I will speak Hamburgler so I can be understood.

kinda interesting. cool stuff.

PriestCometh
05-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I guess if you bench 700 at a lighter weight, no respect is given. wow.

chris mason
05-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Lol, you need to be pretty heavy to fit into Rhodes idea of beauty.

Preist, I would say that I prefer to watch the biggest of the big and strong lift simply to see the biggest numbers. That said, I do respect the big lifts in the lighter weight classes.

Travis Bell
05-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Mike Wolfe has done 860 in contest and 600 at the NERB

actually Ryan hit 600 back in 03 at a Pride meet. Not exactly a huge fed, but it was a judged contest if I'm not mistaken

Travis Bell
05-15-2008, 05:40 PM
I guess if you bench 700 at a lighter weight, no respect is given. wow.

nah, hate to speak on behalf of Rhodes, but he said he does respect all powerlifters, but his personal preference is for the big boys.

It really boils down to personal taste IMO and in my opinion a 700lb bench deserves alot of respect

vdizenzo
05-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Priest I forgot about the cannonball comment. Bench America was a blast. I need to get back to some bigger shows where everyone hangs out. I feel like I am at Southside with all the good ballbusting. There are a lot of great lifters here who have carved out impressive niches in this sport. We are all here to push heavy weight. Just remember the bigger guys push more ;)

Travis Bell
05-15-2008, 05:43 PM
come to the ProAm in August my friend

SGT ROCK
05-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Back on target folks:)

Semper Fi

Guido
05-16-2008, 09:55 AM
I just realized that this thread is two full pages and nobody has mentioned Paul Anderson. The guy was a physical freak. He and Reinhoudt are up there as probably the two strongest guys who ever lived as far as all-around raw strength goes. They lifted in the days before PL equipment and still put up incredible numbers. Anderson even did it before anything was really known about steroids, so he likely did what he did completely natural which just makes it even more impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Edward_Anderson

Some of Anderson's lifts:

One arm overhead press: 300 lb (140 kg)

Standard clean and press: 402.5 lb (182.6 kg)

Parallel squat: 1,202 lb (545 kg), two reps (unverified)

Backlift: 6,270 Lbs (weight raised slightly off of tressles)

Bench Press (Raw): 627 lb (284 kg)

PriestCometh
05-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Mike Wolfe has done 860 in contest and 600 at the NERB

actually Ryan hit 600 back in 03 at a Pride meet. Not exactly a huge fed, but it was a judged contest if I'm not mistaken

How could I forget wolfy. Yeah, he is a great lifter.

PriestCometh
05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
nah, hate to speak on behalf of Rhodes, but he said he does respect all powerlifters, but his personal preference is for the big boys.

It really boils down to personal taste IMO and in my opinion a 700lb bench deserves alot of respect

Its a debate. its cool. I dig the big cats too. most of em are funny as sh%t.

PriestCometh
05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Priest I forgot about the cannonball comment. Bench America was a blast. I need to get back to some bigger shows where everyone hangs out. I feel like I am at Southside with all the good ballbusting. There are a lot of great lifters here who have carved out impressive niches in this sport. We are all here to push heavy weight. Just remember the bigger guys push more ;)

I heard a rumor that they might bring BA back. I wonder if it is true?

PriestCometh
05-16-2008, 10:40 AM
come to the ProAm in August my friend

Is that the ipa meet in ohio, Travis?

I want to go to that one.

Travis Bell
05-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Yep thats the one! Its in Cincy this year. Its going to be an awesome meet. I have a feeling it'll be down to the deadlift once again for the win

PriestCometh
05-16-2008, 10:43 AM
How about one of my favorites, Gene Bell!

Or Larry Pacifico!

we have a good list going.

Xellarz
05-16-2008, 10:51 AM
I can't believe I forgot about Paul Anderson, too! I was just talking about him the other day. Seems like there was another guy who was similar...can't think of his name...

DrDudley-Robey
05-16-2008, 10:53 AM

Does that make you a girly man? Priest has hit 501 raw and 700 shirted in meets to go along with his world championship at 198. Your best bench is 560 something?

As far as going do see the clowns, Everyone loves to see david stomp goliath.

:tuttut: :tuttut:

RhodeHouse
05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Does that make you a girly man? Priest has hit 501 raw and 700 shirted in meets to go along with his world championship at 198. Your best bench is 560 something?

Not sure who you are - Don't really care.

I never said he was weak or anything like that. Those numbers are awesome, no doubt. As for the 198 thing, I'm pretty sure if he's in with Vincent, he just weighed in at 198 and ballooned up to over 200lbs for that championship.

I think Travis said it best, I do respect all lifters. I like the fat guys better, because I'm a fat guy. Weight moved is more impressive to me than coefficient. That doesn't mean I'm not impressed, I just like to see more 100's on the bar than 45's. And, at the end of the day, If I lift more than you, despite bodyweight, I lifted more than you. Nothing worse than the "yeah but" guys. "Yeah but, he was lighter than you." So what? I lifted more - I'm stronger.

Back to what Priest asked about Coan - he's an anomoly. He's the exception to every rule. Don't be that guy that uses the exception to prove the rule. He did it in every weight class for a long time. His numbers as a fat guy are more impressive to me than his skinny guy numbers, though.

Like I said earlier, I respect all lifters. We all go thru the same battles everyday. A PR is a PR. Whether it's 225 or 1025, it's a PR and that's what lifting is all about. Breaking YOUR PR's and setting new goals for yourself is one of the reasons I started powerlifting. What I think is really cool, is when your PR's start becoming National or World Records or something like that.

So, back on topic, as per Sarge:

Best Heavy - Donnie Thompson
Best Ever - Ed Coan
Best Light - N/A

RhodeHouse
05-16-2008, 11:58 AM
And, as for your David v. Goliath analogy - I bet you're a little guy. I say that because Big Guys always want the big guy to win. I would bet that every lifter over 300lbs loves offensive linemen. Why? Fat guys can be good at football. I bet we all like Sumo Wrestling, too. Why? FAT GUYS are good at it.

Besides, ANYONE can be skinny and ripped with abs and bones sticking out everywhere. Not everyone can be BIG. Everyone WANTS to be big, but not everyone can do it. The truly huge know exactly what I mean. Those that argue are small and probably won't get it, ever.

PriestCometh
05-19-2008, 12:45 PM
I can't believe I forgot about Paul Anderson, too! I was just talking about him the other day. Seems like there was another guy who was similar...can't think of his name...

Similar to Paul Anderson? Wow, that must be a fricken animal.

PriestCometh
05-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Yep thats the one! Its in Cincy this year. Its going to be an awesome meet. I have a feeling it'll be down to the deadlift once again for the win

I definatly want to go to that one. I am actually getting healthy now.
I was born in Cleveland. Havent been to Ohio since the arnold(WPO).

PriestCometh
05-19-2008, 12:49 PM

No need for that stuff. Its just a debate.

PriestCometh
05-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Not sure who you are - Don't really care.

I never said he was weak or anything like that. Those numbers are awesome, no doubt. As for the 198 thing, I'm pretty sure if he's in with Vincent, he just weighed in at 198 and ballooned up to over 200lbs for that championship.

I think Travis said it best, I do respect all lifters. I like the fat guys better, because I'm a fat guy. Weight moved is more impressive to me than coefficient. That doesn't mean I'm not impressed, I just like to see more 100's on the bar than 45's. And, at the end of the day, If I lift more than you, despite bodyweight, I lifted more than you. Nothing worse than the "yeah but" guys. "Yeah but, he was lighter than you." So what? I lifted more - I'm stronger.

Back to what Priest asked about Coan - he's an anomoly. He's the exception to every rule. Don't be that guy that uses the exception to prove the rule. He did it in every weight class for a long time. His numbers as a fat guy are more impressive to me than his skinny guy numbers, though.

Like I said earlier, I respect all lifters. We all go thru the same battles everyday. A PR is a PR. Whether it's 225 or 1025, it's a PR and that's what lifting is all about. Breaking YOUR PR's and setting new goals for yourself is one of the reasons I started powerlifting. What I think is really cool, is when your PR's start becoming National or World Records or something like that.

So, back on topic, as per Sarge:

Best Heavy - Donnie Thompson
Best Ever - Ed Coan
Best Light - N/A

Best Heavy - That is a Tough one. Good choice. I gotta go with Garry Frank.
The only guy to hit 1100 in the squat, 925 bench, 931 dead. Just hasnt done it in the same meet.

Travis Bell
05-19-2008, 01:37 PM
seen he was registered for Seniors though this year. I'd be so pumped if he put something together. You're right, he's definatly got the potential

PriestCometh
05-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I know garry has had some injury problems in recent history. It would be cool to see him put it all together.

SGT ROCK
05-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Bros....lets all try and stay on topic please. The Heavy vs Light debate is best left for a separate thread.

Semper Fi

RhodeHouse
05-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Best Heavy - That is a Tough one. Good choice. I gotta go with Garry Frank.
The only guy to hit 1100 in the squat, 925 bench, 931 dead. Just hasnt done it in the same meet.

Garry is a stud. He sure is a strong dude. When Donnie hit 2855, he had the first 900 bench in a full meet. So amazing after squatting 1175(?).

Catch me in 2 days and I'll have another best ever. There are so many guys that are/were so good.

I think you have to look at Andy Bolton, as well. Not a great bencher, but he had the best all-time total before Donnie took it. There's something to be said for that, I think.

Just thinking about the numbers is so humbling. When I start thinking I'm pretty strong, I realize I have so far to go.

I'm all fired up and confused. Need Sleepies.

nhlfan
05-19-2008, 10:50 PM
I don't follow the pros too closely, but I like hearing about vogelpohl

Chris Rodgers
05-19-2008, 10:59 PM
And, as for your David v. Goliath analogy - I bet you're a little guy. I say that because Big Guys always want the big guy to win. I would bet that every lifter over 300lbs loves offensive linemen. Why? Fat guys can be good at football. I bet we all like Sumo Wrestling, too. Why? FAT GUYS are good at it.

Besides, ANYONE can be skinny and ripped with abs and bones sticking out everywhere. Not everyone can be BIG. Everyone WANTS to be big, but not everyone can do it. The truly huge know exactly what I mean. Those that argue are small and probably won't get it, ever.

Being tiny, I used to take offense to some of Rhodes' posts. I've gotten over it and just want to say that this post is excellent. That is all. Good work fatty(even though for a fat guy you are actually really skinny). :moon:

PriestCometh
05-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Whatever happened to Mash?

HP666
05-20-2008, 01:47 PM

Was it Pat Casey?

PriestCometh
05-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Pat Casey was a machine.

RhodeHouse
05-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Being tiny, I used to take offense to some of Rhodes' posts. I've gotten over it and just want to say that this post is excellent. That is all. Good work fatty(even though for a fat guy you are actually really skinny). :moon:

This is because you have a good sense of humor and realize that I'm kind of a tard sometimes.