PDA

View Full Version : Trying to cut some fat - is this a good meal plan?

ROL Jamas
05-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi there, I'm new, and was looking for some information. Currently I'm 5'11, 195 lbs, and am of a stocky build. I've been lifting for quite some time (Currently 21, 22 later this month, and been lifting since September of 2003). I've been on and off just like anyone else, but currently am too pudgy for my liking. I've had a girlfriend for the past 5 months, and though she is wonderful, she has passed some of her bad eating habits onto me, and I need to ditch them - summer's the perfect time to do that.

I'm now lifting every weekday morning (or try to) with a friend, and at nighttime try to get some biking in or play some Ultimate Frisbee. I would like to shed about 10-15 pounds from my gut while maintaining my lifting levels. I feel that if I continue to do the cardio at night, or after my weightlifting in the morning while eating healthy, I can do this. This is my eating habits for the day.

6 am - Stick of Celery, Dole Banana: 125 Calories
10:30 am - Fuji Apple before work: 80 Calories
*work*
2 to 3 pm - Slim 2 Double Meat, Jimmy Johns, Sub Bread. Fuji Apple, Stick of Celery: 500 Calories Total, the sandwich is about 27 g protein
6 pm - dinner, this is where it gets tricky. Subway Sandwich, 6 inch Club Double Meat on wheat, Dole Banana, Stick of Celery. Estimated Calories about 600, maybe less.
9-10 pm - Glass of Skim Milk, with occasional carrots mixed in: Estimated 120 Calories.

If I were to stick to that, it's about 1,425 calories. Couple that with lifting/biking in the morning, and biking around/assorted active activities at night, and I think I can do that. Thoughts on the diet, and if anyone wants my workout routine I can give you that as well, to give you an estimate as to what I'm burning. Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated, along with any room for improvement. Thanks!

Transformer
05-14-2008, 09:24 AM
I think that is too few calories and you will lose more than just fat.

HANNlBAL KING
05-14-2008, 01:17 PM
You need more calories. I would say 2,000-2,400 a day would be a good start if you lift and exercise as much as you say. Also, get some more protein in your diet.

Unreal
05-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Crappy food choices and very little protein. Poor diet IMO.

ROL Jamas
05-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Crappy food choices and very little protein. Poor diet IMO.

Thanks for the thoughts. These are the only foods I can stand that are fairly healthy - I'm a really picky eater. Don't stand much other fruits or veggies outside of these, and I'm not sure where else I should turn. I also have tried to incorporate a Turkey Sandwich on Wheat (roughly 200 calories), which occasionally replaces the JJ's Slim 2. Should I just add it to the meal somewhere in there?

Along those lines, how much protein should I be taking in? Again, I just want to lose weight/get a little cut. What's the word?

Unreal
05-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Atleast 1g of protein per pound of lean mass. At 195lbs you probably want ATLEAST 160-170g of protein. Looks like your getting about 40-50. So if that is all you will eat, then triple whatever protein stuff your eating, and drop the rest. That or stop whining and realize you gotta eat some other stuff if you want the body you want.

Szust
05-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Just drink many protein shakes. Easy way to reach your caloric goal.

ROL Jamas
05-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Atleast 1g of protein per pound of lean mass. At 195lbs you probably want ATLEAST 160-170g of protein. Looks like your getting about 40-50. So if that is all you will eat, then triple whatever protein stuff your eating, and drop the rest. That or stop whining and realize you gotta eat some other stuff if you want the body you want.

Haha, yeah, I just need to develop some taste buds.

I've never been big on shakes/supplements or anything of that sort. Being that I don't take in a lot of calories anyways, would it be a bad idea to start taking some sort of Whey Protein shake?

Szust
05-14-2008, 02:42 PM

I've never been big on shakes/supplements or anything of that sort. Being that I don't take in a lot of calories anyways, would it be a bad idea to start taking some sort of Whey Protein shake?

not a bad idea. Some whey protein powders taste like oreo cookie shakes. Most delicious thing I've ever had, and mixed with water.

fooz
05-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Your lifts aren't going to stay consistent with that caloric intake. Definately get a Whey protein, drink some damn milk.. and eat steak, chicken, tuna.. whatever to get enough protein like everyone else has been saying.

Lewy23
05-27-2008, 02:38 PM

it sounds like you just need to suck it up and eat some **** that you dont want to eat. do you really think when bodybuilders diet, they are eating the **** they want to eat? hell no, they choke down the food that gets the job done, I suggest you do the same, bro. No pain no gain, man...that applies to the diet as well as the gym.

Lewy