PDA

View Full Version : too far?

daveshapellsvt
05-15-2008, 11:57 AM
hey i lift weights pretty frequently and i have bench days and switch between squat and deadlift days. I noticed my pulse was like 180+ when doing some tough curls. is it normal to have your heart work this hard?

Travis Bell
05-15-2008, 12:14 PM
you take your pulse during your workouts?

honestly I can't say I've ever done either tough curls or taken my pulse

Phil Bailey
05-15-2008, 12:32 PM
unless your training sports like MMA, then I think you pulse is a little on the high side for weight lifting. But before you look any further into this, how are you measuring your pulse. If you are using the standard pulse off the wrist or neck you may be miscalculating. If you are measuring heart rate, you should use a good chest strap (I would recommend polar, they are the best in the industry) and make sure you properly place it on your chest. Don't forget to wet the sensors for better signal transmittion.

If your heart rate is still high, you may want to look at your cardio level and also look at your rest interval between sets. Too little will cause your heart rate to stay elevated. Also, poor cardio will cause increase heart rate during activity.

hope this helps

HP666
05-15-2008, 01:37 PM

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :zipit:

mickyjune26
05-15-2008, 01:41 PM
i've also been worrying about my heart rate on leg days. Freaking feels like a race car, and I'm also outta breath. Maybe we both need some cardio to get some stronger hearts.

Szust
05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
I would worry about your resting heart rate. Heart rate sky rockets when lifting. It's normal. 180+ is fine.

Runty
05-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Micky, high heart rate on leg days is expected. You're taxing pretty much your whole body. Tough curls on the other hand almost seems like an oxymoron.

daveshapellsvt
05-20-2008, 01:08 PM
well what i mean by tough is i push myself hard to complete reps. like when i'm on the 6 or 7th one and i can't do anymore i pause and then put all my strength into it. i often feel light headed when reaching that last impossible rep. i do this with everything i do. I'm in the process of seeing a cardiologist regarding this matter. i have a stress test, and echo tomorrow. in between sets i normally cool off for 2-5 minutes, but my heart rate stays up there for a bit. the entire time i'm at the gym my heart rate is at least 115+ never gets down to my resting rate of 60-75. I'm not trying to be funny, but i had sex today and it was pretty intense, my heart rate was 174 at the most intense point. I have a heart monitor and i wore it purposly to see how high it does get in that situation. no palputations or anything, and i felt fine, but when i put my hand to my chest my heart was going extremely fast.

Reko
05-20-2008, 01:48 PM
I would worry about your resting heart rate. Heart rate sky rockets when lifting. It's normal. 180+ is fine.

Seconded. The valsalva maneuver will also jack up your blood pressure quite a bit on a temporary level as well. If you are really concerned about it, take a VO2 Max test or an overall assessment and they can help with all that.

Reko
05-20-2008, 01:49 PM
^^ I am also assuming you are doing that.

thewicked
05-20-2008, 02:16 PM
LOL sounds like you just need to do more cardio and rest a little longer between sets..watching your heart rate is a good thing especially if it worries you or if you have an existing heart condition. If you find yourself getting light headed or having tingling sensations in parts of your body after working out hard or during workouts..get checked out for sure.

youngguns
05-20-2008, 04:21 PM
lol at you using the heart rate moniter during sack time. it doesnt sound like to big of a deal, especially the sex part, as thats a pretty explosive activity in most cases. your rates seem alright, my heart rate gets up pretty high when im in the gym, myself. tell us what the results are like on the stress test/echo !

daveshapellsvt
05-21-2008, 01:41 PM
ok, i went and did the stress echo. they say everything looks fine, they said i did really good. they worked me like a cheap whore though. they set the freakin thing to full incline and they made me hold the bars the whole time. my heart rate got up to 191 and i didn't feel anthing weird. i however felt very out of breath, probably because i smoke. so the doctors going to review the echocardiography, the ekg's, and the tread mill test. he'll know for sure what, if anything, is wrong. maybe i have super human abilities maybe my **** can go 220 lol

daveshapellsvt
05-29-2008, 07:00 AM
update: I spoke with my doctors nurse and she stated that i have a normal heart and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. my cholesterol is 119, and the lady said anything under 200 is great. So i asked the lady, then what could cause my heart to work so hard, and she said there are other things aside from the heart that can cause that and to follow up with my normal doctor. She said an option could be to where a holter monitor for 24hrs.

Travis Bell
05-29-2008, 10:05 AM
are you breathing while doing your reps???

holding your breath the whole time would have the problems you stated

RhodeHouse
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Dude, you're working out. Your heart is supposed to beat fast. Stop smoking. Your lung capacity is probably causing you trouble in absorbing oxygen because your lungs are full of that crap.

daveshapellsvt
05-30-2008, 07:35 AM
i breathe when doing reps, i work out correctly, it's just the heart gets going. I've cut down on smoking to 1-2 cigs a day, i'm going to quit very soon. By cutting down i've noticed i can take deeper breaths now and i've also noticed that my resting heart rate has dropped 10 beats on average. But when i'm having sex or working out the old ticker still rockets.

BG5150
05-30-2008, 07:42 AM
My hear rate goes up in proportion to the amount of body parts I'm moving. Bench would be lowest. Rows and chins get it up there. Squat and DL and cleans really move it up.

Rob Luyando
05-30-2008, 08:24 AM

Now that is some funny ****! When I do curls Bencher8 names that as my whack off training day! LOL!

RhodeHouse
05-30-2008, 11:35 AM
i breathe when doing reps, i work out correctly, it's just the heart gets going. I've cut down on smoking to 1-2 cigs a day, i'm going to quit very soon. By cutting down i've noticed i can take deeper breaths now and i've also noticed that my resting heart rate has dropped 10 beats on average. But when i'm having sex or working out the old ticker still rockets.

You heart is SUPPOSED to beat faster. There's nothing wrong with you. Stop being a baby.

daveshapellsvt
06-02-2008, 07:17 AM
your probably right, i probably am being a baby. Yesterday i whore my heart monitor to the gym to test my rate acurately. when i was benching it believe it got up to 130-150 the harder the set. Curls it got up to 150, skull crushers 130, flys 150 something. So to me that seems normal. When i finished that i ran for 15 minutes. walked the first 6 or so, but i periodically moved up the speed to a run. level 6.5. heart rate got up to 174, i quickly stopped the machine and 2 minutes after my heart rate was at 129 still. is that decent? supposedly your rate is supposed to drop dramatically 2 minutes after. when i got home ten minutes later it was at 104-112. drank a shake, chilled and watched tv for the rest of the night. about 45 minutes after working out my heart rate was 69. is this all normal, how long once you stop working out does it take your heart rate to get near resting again? my walking around standing heart rate is 81-102 is that normal? i'm begining to thing i'm fine, maybe just a little out of shape.

RhodeHouse
06-02-2008, 09:05 PM
your probably right, i probably am being a baby. Yesterday i whore my heart monitor to the gym to test my rate acurately. when i was benching it believe it got up to 130-150 the harder the set. Curls it got up to 150, skull crushers 130, flys 150 something. So to me that seems normal. When i finished that i ran for 15 minutes. walked the first 6 or so, but i periodically moved up the speed to a run. level 6.5. heart rate got up to 174, i quickly stopped the machine and 2 minutes after my heart rate was at 129 still. is that decent? supposedly your rate is supposed to drop dramatically 2 minutes after. when i got home ten minutes later it was at 104-112. drank a shake, chilled and watched tv for the rest of the night. about 45 minutes after working out my heart rate was 69. is this all normal, how long once you stop working out does it take your heart rate to get near resting again? my walking around standing heart rate is 81-102 is that normal? i'm begining to thing i'm fine, maybe just a little out of shape.

You're still being a baby. If your mind is on your heart rate, you're not going to make it far in the lifting world. You might consider Yoga.

daveshapellsvt
06-03-2008, 09:39 AM
you think those numbers are decent though? I used to never check heart rate or anything. I used to work out super hard, i would often puke after a tough set, and i always felt light headed after doing heavy squat sets. at my strongest/biggest i weighted 175 and my arms were almost 17".

max stats:
bench 275x2
dead lift 365 x1
squat 365x2

Travis Bell
06-03-2008, 09:59 AM
you are fine. just lift

getting light headed is typically from shallow breathing or holding the breath too long.

RhodeHouse
06-03-2008, 10:47 AM
you think those numbers are decent though? I used to never check heart rate or anything. I used to work out super hard, i would often puke after a tough set, and i always felt light headed after doing heavy squat sets. at my strongest/biggest i weighted 175 and my arms were almost 17".

max stats:
bench 275x2
dead lift 365 x1
squat 365x2

Actually, I think you're going to have a stroke. It sounds like those are the symtoms you're suffering from. You really need to go see a Dr. to make sure you're ok. Make sure to get the prostate exam, as well. It's a little known fact that the prostate exam can really head off potential strokes. It has something to do with BP taken rectally. It sounds messed up, but it saved a good friend of mine. He was able to take the proper action and avoid a potentially life-threatening situation. Keep us posted.

BG5150
06-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Maybe ask your cardiologist...

daveshapellsvt
06-04-2008, 07:21 AM
cardiologist says everything is normal. as far as breath goes i normally hold my breath 60% of the rep and exhale the last 40%.

dude you gotta be pulling my leg with that prostate exam. that doesn't make any sense. i'm just trying to figure myself out so that i can get back to lifting hard again. i know your a more intense lifter then i am with more knowledge, but don't dick me around.