PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to share something with you guys....

HP666
05-16-2008, 03:00 PM
With all this talk about the best and who inspires us I wanted to show you guys some people that mean a lot to me as far as lifting goes. As you guys have heard me talk about at nauseam, I got tired of fooling around and wanted to get serious about powerlifting so I went out and got a coach. So the coach I found and have been training with since late December is a guy named Rick Scarpulla. Rick owns his own private gym, invitation only, where we train most of the time. Rick is also the powerlifting coach for the United States Military Academy, West Point. What Rick has done for the ARMY powerlifting team over the last five years is amazing. When he got there the team was an absolute mess. I mean they literally had guys that fell over on the platform. Seriously. Rick is a disciple of Louie Simmons and brought Westside to West Point. Needless to say the team is one of the best in the nation now. At the Collegiate Nationals in CO this year the team finished 3rd for the second year in a row; losing only to Louisana Tech and the U of Louisiana Lafayette. But they finished ahead of powerhouse schools such as LSU, Penn State, Texas, Texas A&M, and of course they just destroyed Navy and Air Force. It really is an amazing feat that ARMY's team can even compete with these big schools. West Point only allows 20 cadets total to be a part of the PL team, male or female. So ARMY goes to a meet with 20 team members, they may only have one lifter in any given weight class. Most of these other big schools bring 40-50 team members; they may have say, five lifters at 123, where ARMY has one. HELL, ARMY doesn't even have a 308 or SHW!!! I have to give the credit to the amazing coaching job that Rick does. but more importantly to the kids themselves. (I say kids because I'm 38 and the team members are anywhere from 19-22) We all know how tough this game can be, and these kids are so dedicated and passionate, they break their asses doing Westside four days a week; all while attending West Point. These kids can't just lift, go eat like a slob and go to sleep. Besides the amount of school work they are always doing military training, running, hiking, taking P.T. tests, it just never stops. They have to take care of themselves. Like I said, they don't even have a 308 or SHW! Yet they're always at the "House" as we call it, ready to train their asses off at any given moment. I had the privilege to get to know the team very well and I've been training with them since January. Not every day, usually every Saturday, which is ME lower day, I always try to be there for that, and sometimes I get over there for Max upper work also. It's kind of sad now because school has ended and we trained for the last time together on Monday. These guys have become good friends of mine and I miss them already. Some of them I'll see next year, but the Seniors, every one of them are headed to the Middle East. I can't say enough how much I like and respect these guys. The team Captain, Steve Hueckel, a senior, has always been there for me with advice and inspiration and no one has helped me more in my training besides Rick himself. I just wanted to share my story with you guys and show you some videos. These guys are some of the best lifting partners I've ever had in my life. They may not be the biggest or the strongest but no one has more passion and commitment.

The first video was one that one of the guys made PRE Nationals to fire up the team. The last three vids are of the actual Nationals themselves.

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj88/bigriggz87/?action=view&current=ArmyPowerliftingPre-Nationals2008.flv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTF233OG_1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwJ3Qr5Rcic&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF77Th-7uGg&feature=related

foodbaby
05-16-2008, 03:19 PM
thanks man, very inspirational...

Szust
05-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Makes me wish my school had a powerlifting team.

Indifference
05-17-2008, 02:36 PM
ditto. wow. I want to go lift after watching those.

Jonah
05-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Second that. Very inspiration story!

HP666
05-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Makes me wish my school had a powerlifting team.

What school is it? Talk to some people and get one started. Powerlifting isn't sanctioned by the NCAA, so while many school compete, there are no scholarships given out for Powerlifting. This is one of the reasons ARMY can compete with LSU, Penn State, etc. 50 year ago ARMY had one of the best football programs in the nation, then once football became sanctioned and scholarships were handed out, well then what the hell would any good player want to go to West Point for? ARMY is still at a disadvantage for some of the reasons I mentioned earlier but they still compete at a high level in PL.

Ben Moore
05-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Very very cool man - makes me wish I had started a team when in school.

PriestCometh
05-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Cool stuff.

Keith
05-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Damn, that's awesome! I'm so jealous.

HP666
05-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Damn, that's awesome! I'm so jealous.

It is awesome I tell ya. Training with 4-5 guys is good, but training with 20 is sick as far as intensity goes. Everyone breaks up into groups by size/lifting ability, so there's usually four groups lifting on different racks/benches. When it's time to start doing heavy singles EVERYONE stops and supports the person lifting at that moment. It's quite an experience. Crazy loud music, people yelling and screaming, you know the deal. If you can't get a good workout in that scenario and hit PR's then you're not human. I can't wait until the end of July when the guys start coming back.

Keith
05-21-2008, 04:46 PM
It is awesome I tell ya. Training with 4-5 guys is good, but training with 20 is sick as far as intensity goes. Everyone breaks up into groups by size/lifting ability, so there's usually four groups lifting on different racks/benches. When it's time to start doing heavy singles EVERYONE stops and supports the person lifting at that moment. It's quite an experience. Crazy loud music, people yelling and screaming, you know the deal. If you can't get a good workout in that scenario and hit PR's then you're not human. I can't wait until the end of July when the guys start coming back.

**** I would kill for that! Heck, I would move for that if it weren't for a few things.

Ben Moore
05-21-2008, 07:15 PM

This is what we're goaling for with our move in facilities. Maybe not 20, but an intense 10 that will stop at nothing to move more weight.

HP666
05-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your enthusiasm!!! It reminds me of how lucky I am and just makes me want to keep working my balls off to get where I want to be. I really have a lot of respect for you guys here on the PL forum. While a lot of you are much younger than me I look up to you for what you've achieved and are still trying to achieve, and all the hard work that goes along with it. The thing with powerlifting, which unless you truly powerlift you don't understand, is that it's not for the timid. And when I say timid I mean you can't be afraid of hard work, you can't be afraid of getting injured, you just can't be a whiny mommas boy. You have to love it all; the work, the sweat, the pain, the sacrifice. Being here I'm surrounded by people who love all that and that just makes me love it even more.

Dirk Pitt
05-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Super motivational. Thanks for posting that.

Szust
05-23-2008, 12:28 PM
What school is it? Talk to some people and get one started. Powerlifting isn't sanctioned by the NCAA, so while many school compete, there are no scholarships given out for Powerlifting. This is one of the reasons ARMY can compete with LSU, Penn State, etc. 50 year ago ARMY had one of the best football programs in the nation, then once football became sanctioned and scholarships were handed out, well then what the hell would any good player want to go to West Point for? ARMY is still at a disadvantage for some of the reasons I mentioned earlier but they still compete at a high level in PL.

MIT, actually. How would I go about starting a team anyway? It seems like such a daunting task.

Jonah
05-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Not really

Put some flyers up in places where there are people who would be interested.

School weight room.
Student Center
Cafeteria
Athletic building, etc.

Find out how many are interested. Then find a place to train.
School if it's good.
Good PL gym if you can get the hook up.

Come up with schedules for groups. (if you can all train together then pair up by the numbers)

Then if you want to make an official club talk to your student government. See what the procedure is for recognition.

This also helps if you want to get funding for meets, maybe even equipment if your school's willing to pay for it. Find out what the rules are then try to push the envelope with them. Good luck

bill
05-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Nice post esp. Memorial Day Weekend!!!