PDA

View Full Version : Hooray, benched 240 tonight

berfles
05-16-2008, 06:23 PM
It still sucks balls but I did it. Tried it two or three weeks ago and couldn't get it.

I know my elbows are still flared a lot but I can't help it when it's a max effort thing like this.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_DSCN7397.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=DSCN7397.flv)

Keith
05-16-2008, 06:48 PM
You can't help it? I highly recommend working with lighter weight until you can help it. Your grip also seems to be pretty damn close together, too. Perfecting your form and technique will do wonders.

berfles
05-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Well I meant with my first time doing the weight I usually flare a lot, once I know I can do it I don't do it near as much but by then I'm too tired to tape it again. When you do proper form is it supposed to immediately help or do you have to get used to it? I know if I tried not flaring on something like this I wouldn't be able to do it, but if I did it again I would. I think it's a mental thing I have to get over from my previous bad habits.

I'm still experimenting with my grip too, using the wider one hurt my forearm so I switched to using a grip with my pinkies right inside the rings.

Jorge Sanchez
05-16-2008, 08:31 PM
That was a grinder. Nice work.

Runty
05-21-2008, 09:36 AM
A grinder it twas. Nice work though. I'm with Keith on the form check though. Those elbows came pretty far out.

ZenMonkey
05-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Berf: Hows the weight gaining coming?

Nosaj
05-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Form is pretty bad, you had to adjust mid-lift just to get it up. Great effort though, solid grind. Drop the weight, work on form, speed work and lockouts. If putting up big numbers is your goal, you need to start approaching things like a powerlifter, not just letting crap form "whatever gets it up" mentality get the best of you. Not trying to be a downer, just bad habits are hard to break so might as well nip it in the butt now. Good job bro.

Detard
05-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Your grip is pretty close too. Where are your hands placed on the bar? Nice job grinding it out but you really need to work on your form.

Detard
05-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh btw, whats with the weird ass music?

fpr
05-21-2008, 04:33 PM
He lifts to the TV show Scrubs, lol.

berfles
05-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Form is pretty bad, you had to adjust mid-lift just to get it up. Great effort though, solid grind. Drop the weight, work on form, speed work and lockouts. If putting up big numbers is your goal, you need to start approaching things like a powerlifter, not just letting crap form "whatever gets it up" mentality get the best of you. Not trying to be a downer, just bad habits are hard to break so might as well nip it in the butt now. Good job bro.

I'm going to try re-filming it now that I know I can do it, my form is usually not near that bad, especially not with my repping weight. Maybe I'll video one of my working sets, I start my 5x5 of 210lbs this coming week. Not sure what you mean by re-adjusting, could you explain?

I would like to see a video of someone benching dead on so I can see how the flaring should be, because that's the one area I've always had trouble with. I don't want my elbows dead in front of me, but now out to the sides either, so they should be in the middle?

He lifts to the TV show Scrubs, lol.

Indeed I do.

Your grip is pretty close too. Where are your hands placed on the bar? Nice job grinding it out but you really need to work on your form.

My pinkies were right inside the ring. I was trying a closer grip because the wider one hurt my shoulders for a few days. This past workout I went back to having the ring between my middle and ring fingers.

Berf: Hows the weight gaining coming?

Terribly. Still not gaining anything, even with creatine. Not even water weight. It seems so weird that I put 25lbs on my bench since the beginning of the year and actually lost weight along the way.

It's kind of odd to me that my bench form sucks so bad on ME lifts, when my deadlift and squats were fine. Always seemed to me that bench was simple while the other two took awhile to get down. That could be because when I first started working out I just went by a stupid Weider poster, and when I first started one my crappy bench is when I benched for my first time without anyone there to watch me.

If I can nail my ME form, do you think my max would be better too?

skydeaner
05-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Work on your tricep power, it will help your bench a ton from what i saw in the vid.

RedSpikeyThing
05-21-2008, 08:36 PM
great effort man! Getting through a grinder does wonders does wonders for your confidence. I agree with the others: you have great brute strength and a little work on your tecnique would go a long way.

Nosaj
05-22-2008, 03:01 AM
Technique always helps performance. Readjusting means flaring, you didn't start wide but you ended up that way. Try a wider grip, it's pretty hard to do much of anything with the elbows if your grip is wide. I do tip of the thumb on the ring so significantly wider than you, forces a naturally wide elbow movement.

berfles
05-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Work on your tricep power, it will help your bench a ton from what i saw in the vid.

You're right, my triceps hold me back. My sticking point is around the middle, I'm strong off the chest but then my tris slow up. I've been trying to get them up to snuff lately, usually by doing a few sets of pin presses at the end of my chest day and sets of CG bench presses, but maybe I need more. While my bench has gone up, the sticking point has remained virtually the same.

great effort man! Getting through a grinder does wonders does wonders for your confidence. I agree with the others: you have great brute strength and a little work on your tecnique would go a long way.

Thanks, my bench is still my weakest lift. I'm really trying to get it up to a decent level right now since I can't gain any mass at the moment. The confidence thing is true, especially when I tried this weight a few weeks ago and only got it off my chest before I totally stalled out.

I'll be sure to work on the form a lot this coming week and take a video of my working set.

Technique always helps performance. Readjusting means flaring, you didn't start wide but you ended up that way. Try a wider grip, it's pretty hard to do much of anything with the elbows if your grip is wide. I do tip of the thumb on the ring so significantly wider than you, forces a naturally wide elbow movement.

Yeah I see that now. Honestly I think it's because I was using the closer grip due to my shoulder, when I do it with the ring between my middle and ring fingers it's nowhere near that bad. We'll see when I post a new video though. I'm anxious to try 240 again with my usual grip but I don't want to max out again this week.

bill
05-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Good solid lift technique was ok except the sticky point a little. widen your grip a little, flare less. You just close gripped benched is what I see.

berfles
05-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Damn it, I was going to video my 210 set tonight but my camera battery died after my warmup set of 135. I think this is how I usually bench, is that an acceptable degree of flaring? I know it won't show much because it's a light weight but it's all I have until next week and I charge my battery. I'm also using my normal grip of having the ring between my middle and ring fingers.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_DSCN7432.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=DSCN7432.flv)

Travis Bell
05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
lol I don't know how you can focus with that TV on in the background but yes, that form looks good. You'll be able to use your lats better that way

berfles
05-29-2008, 12:33 PM
lol I don't know how you can focus with that TV on in the background but yes, that form looks good. You'll be able to use your lats better that way

Haha, yeah I don't know, I'm just obsessed with Scrubs and I like to chill out and laugh between sets.

Thanks though. Even though I slacked off from eating and lifting last week I still managed to go from 205x5 for 5 sets to 210x5x3 and 210x4x2 last night. I should get all 25 reps next week already, and usually it takes 2-3 weeks with benching for me.

knicksfan20
06-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm no expert...but isnt it kind of stupid to do maxes without a spotter? especially for a weight you have never done before and failed tons of time before?

grats though

berfles
06-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm no expert...but isnt it kind of stupid to do maxes without a spotter? especially for a weight you have never done before and failed tons of time before?

grats though

I didn't fail "tons of times" before, I tried once and didn't get it.

As far as safety, that's kind of what power racks are for.

Reko
06-03-2008, 04:42 PM
On your second video it looks like you are coming up off your chest uneven like the right side is lower than the left. Do you have any shoulder injuries? Was the grip even?

berfles
06-03-2008, 05:17 PM
On your second video it looks like you are coming up off your chest uneven like the right side is lower than the left. Do you have any shoulder injuries? Was the grip even?

My one shoulder is still a little bothersome at times, and I think I'm just used to having my left arm be so much weaker before that I overcompensate it on the light weights. It's like I'm still expecting it to lag so I push harder with that arm when I don't really have to anymore :) I don't do that on heavier working sets.