PDA

View Full Version : too much sodium?

amd84
05-16-2008, 06:39 PM
hey guys, i've recently started keeping track of most everything i eat throughout the day and keep a chart of how much fat,sodium, protein, etc i'm taking in. i've noticed most days that i consume more than 3000mg of sodium. i'm wondering if that's too much or not. thx!

Mission
05-16-2008, 06:43 PM
I was actually about to start the same topic haha. I've been eating more tuna and Chinese food (both great sources of protein) lately and started thinking about it. Too much sodium can be a problem IIRC.

RhodeHouse
05-17-2008, 03:07 PM
People will go both ways on this one. If you don't have high blood pressure, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're trying to pack on weight, sodium will help you retain water. This will keep your muscles full and they will repond better to training. Just make sure you're staying very hydrated. A minimum of a gallon of fluids per day, not including shakes. Some will say water. I think water is a waste of good space in your stomach for a drink with calories, but that's your call.

Slim Schaedle
05-18-2008, 12:47 AM
People will go both ways on this one. If you don't have high blood pressure, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're trying to pack on weight, sodium will help you retain water. This will keep your muscles full and they will repond better to training. Just make sure you're staying very hydrated. A minimum of a gallon of fluids per day, not including shakes. Some will say water. I think water is a waste of good space in your stomach for a drink with calories, but that's your call.

Good post.

I'm with Rhodes.

StrongAsHell
05-18-2008, 12:49 PM
I have been concerned about this before as well. Most will tell you to take in as much as you like (within reason) as long as you have okay BP. Too much sodium can dehydrate you too though. Yes you are supposed to retain more water but only so much before your body tries to flush it (sodium) out.

Here the bigger issue I find with it. Sodium will take the place of potassium in your blood stream. The sodium molecule attracts water out of the cell, pulling with it potassium. This overall decreases muscle function.

I would try to keep it to 3000mgs, no more.