PDA

View Full Version : Who here counts calories?

TrainedApe
05-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey, I pretty much count all the calories a day i eat using websites like calorie king and calorie counter and the like. I feel like I dont want to be over and gain fat and i dont want to be under and lose muscle. Does anyone here count all their calories? And If you dont how do you maintain your weight without counting? I dont even think I could :p

VikingWarlord
05-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Most people here that count anything count macros more than calories.

The people that don't count either don't care or use the mirror, a tape, the camera, or any number of other things.

Transformer
05-18-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't count. I use the mirror like Viking said.

cphafner
05-18-2008, 01:58 PM
do this long enough and you don't really need to count anymore. You can eye ball portions and cal content.

Notorious
05-18-2008, 02:11 PM
do this long enough and you don't really need to count anymore. You can eye ball portions and cal content.

:withstupi:

That's what I do.

FireRescue
05-18-2008, 07:17 PM
I have never counted calories. Like mentioned I do keep a rough idea of macros and use the mirror and measuring tape to track results.

I have tought about counting calories recently but my way has worked many times before, and I do not know if I need to complicate things any more than necessary.

TKisner
05-18-2008, 07:29 PM
I just started and I really enjoy it. I like knowing what Im getting in and it has helped me to realize dietary deficiencies.

skydeaner
05-18-2008, 07:36 PM
I need to

<------------ fatty

But a lot of my problems have to do with self control. If you can eat small portions without counting calories (or large portions, whatever your goals may be) then there is no need to do it. For some people it is that extra "think it through before you end up splurging" thing that keeps them from just heaping some **** on the plate.

What gets complicated is when you make something like goulash, or lazagna, or any other delicious homemade contraption. Then i just say forget it and try to control myself as best as possible which hasn't really been working out too well.

bjohnso
05-18-2008, 09:06 PM
I count calories.

I count everything.

left hook
05-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I eyeball it and if my ball park figure is under 2800 *cutting now) then i don't worry. I always count carbs and protein to the exact gram though.

Hopper
05-19-2008, 12:56 AM
I used to, I don't anymore.

yankeekd25
05-19-2008, 12:51 PM
I was obsessed with counting everything, and I saw a good result in my body. I stopped, and felt as if I wasn't getting enough macros in. I recently started back up again. I like to know how much of everything I'm putting in my system, so I hit the numbers I need.

Nosaj
05-19-2008, 05:30 PM
You have to count calories to make efficient gains. After you do it for a while, it becomes second nature and you don't even have to look at servings to know what's in them. From personal experience though, two things that will help you more than anything in the long run are a gram scale and a food journal. It sounds tedious but if you want to make the absolute best gains possible in the shortest amount of time you need to be dedicated as possible and that requires a gram scale and a food journal.

mistergalarza
05-21-2008, 10:42 AM
I do it for a little to get an average idea of how much I'm taking in with what, once I get that accustomed I eat generally the same stuff and know how much I'm taking from there on.

I'll count protein and carbs in my head and multiply to get estimated numbers too.

WillNoble
05-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Do all the time....It works

Most would be suprised by how much difference there is in "eyeballing" and actually looking the numbers up...makes a huge difference

socal101
05-21-2008, 02:22 PM
i agree wth the journal, i'm still cutting down to 15% bf from 30%, stil on keto but i set up my spreasheet to track p c & f grams and cals, and once you get used to it, it really does become second nature. i have stopped counting now because i listen to my body, small portions, and eat till satisfied not full. It works. But, starting to get lazy, might start counting again to get to 10% faster.

thewicked
05-21-2008, 06:24 PM
i count the meals and could care less about cals as long as theres plenty of them.

Cirino83
05-21-2008, 06:34 PM
when bulking I count for a while to get a vague idea, then use the mirror/scale from there.

When I cut, I count everything. I think you have to when cutting to see results. It is very easy to over calculate.

Detard
05-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I counted for a couple weeks when I first started my bulk. Now I know if i've had enough or if I need to add another bako shake into the mix.

ryuage
05-21-2008, 07:18 PM
i used to religiously... now i just ball park it.

Irish Pilot
05-22-2008, 07:20 AM
i used to religiously... now i just ball park it.

Same I counted closely with fitday for a long time and got tired of it. Now I keep a ballpark in my head (usually over-estimating for protection since Im cutting). Sad to say Im now one of the "label readers" that I used to give a hard time to.