PDA

View Full Version : Sugar vs Sugary Taste

PhilsterT
05-19-2008, 08:27 PM
This question is kind of split into two parts (high fructose / Dextrose)

When I drink a can of coke my stomach can't really handle it because (a) it tastes sugary and (b) has a lot of high fructose corn syrup. And, that is true with many drinks of the sort. BUT, if I drink Arizona Tea, I'm fine, but it has the exact same sugar and a LOT of it.

Secondly: if I take Results (one serving) I become sedated; two servings and I go to bed. But, if I have store bought apple cider, I can down that stuff indefinitely.

What causes the difference?

Jason Pegg
05-19-2008, 09:07 PM
This question is kind of split into two parts (high fructose / Dextrose)

When I drink a can of coke my stomach can't really handle it because (a) it tastes sugary and (b) has a lot of high fructose corn syrup. And, that is true with many drinks of the sort. BUT, if I drink Arizona Tea, I'm fine, but it has the exact same sugar and a LOT of it.

Secondly: if I take Results (one serving) I become sedated; two servings and I go to bed. But, if I have store bought apple cider, I can down that stuff indefinitely.

What causes the difference?

Glycemic load and the insulin crash from the fast acting sugars.

Jason

PhilsterT
05-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Wait, so within dextrose: there are a mix of fast/slow acting sugars and you think in the apple cider, it's limited to slow acting ones?

Progress
05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Wait, so within dextrose: there are a mix of fast/slow acting sugars and you think in the apple cider, it's limited to slow acting ones?

Dextrose is effectively the most simplest sugar when it enters your body (glucose), as you likely know. I'm guessing the cider has fructose from the apples.