PDA

View Full Version : What Is More Impressive?

SGT ROCK
05-20-2008, 12:54 AM
700 squat raw or 1000 in multi ply?

500 raw bench or 700 in multi ply?

Do you feel there are many 1000 squatters that CANNOT do 700 raw?

Do you feel there are many 700 benchers that CANNOT do 500 raw?

Another way to ask this might be...are there more lifters capable of those raw numbers or those geared numbers?

Remember fellas...I LOVE GEAR!!!! I am merely trying to spark some interest here and soliciting some of you to post your valuable insight on this great forum!!!

My opinion? Both raw lifts depending of course on bodyweight. Whats your opinion?

Raw means wrist wraps only for the bench and belt only for the squat, no knee wraps.

Having the priviledge of doing the NERB show and seeing some huge raw numbers really gave me a good insight on the raw scene, and having viewed many WPO events gave me a good view into the multi ply scene, I personally compete with SUPER TIGHT gear for the DL and love gear, but I also have a deep respect for Old School Raw. I totally respect BOTH of the above mentioned numbers, but I am trying to get you guys to post YOUR thoughts on this and WHY you feel that way.

Semper Fi

Lewy23
05-20-2008, 06:02 AM
I respect both sets of numbers. I think it takes a hell of a lifter to put up big numbers raw, cuz that is just old school, old fashioned cock diesel power.

But also in respect to using gear, not just any lifter can throw on a deadlift suit, briefs or a bench shirt and automatically put up big weight. It takes skill and alot of practice to stay in that grove or that bubble you need to put up good numbers. Take a certain technique to nail it.

I respect them both and love going raw and using gear!

Lewy

Xellarz
05-20-2008, 09:59 AM
This is tough. You really picked some good numbers.

At the moment, I'm feeling like the 1000 geared squat is more impressive. And the 500 raw bench is more impressive.

HP666
05-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Well, I will chime in with this. Both squats are impressive, but just unracking 1,000lbs and setting up with it, especially if taking it off racks rather than a monolift, well ****, that's impressive in itself. I don't care what kind of gear you're wearing, the gear isn't doing much at that point, it's all you. *Ah, there's nothing like feeling like you're about to snap in half.*

vdizenzo
05-20-2008, 12:21 PM
This is the argument you see on all other forums but don't see here. SFW!

PriestCometh
05-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Never thought about it. All are great lifts, IMO.

HP666
05-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Never thought about it. All are great lifts, IMO.

I agree with that but didn't mention it. Because of the discrepancy in weight they're all great. Think about it, there are how many BILLIONS of people existing on this Earth, and how many can actually pull off any of those lifts?

dbcb314
05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
700 squat raw or 1000 in multi ply?

500 raw bench or 700 in multi ply?

Do you feel there are many 1000 squatters that CANNOT do 700 raw?

Do you feel there are many 700 benchers that CANNOT do 500 raw?

700 raw

500 raw

I think a good number of them could if they did a raw cycle or trained for a bit. But if you are just asking "take the gear off and do it now" sort of thing, then a bet a good number can't. This would also depend on the fed the raw lift is being done, because we all know that apf squat depth is different from usapl or RAW squat depth.

Yes, same as above.

thewicked
05-20-2008, 02:18 PM
both you've got to respect equally because both require a ****load of hard work and training along with dedication and mental toughness. Either way ALL are HUGE!

youngguns
05-20-2008, 03:59 PM
both are very very impressive. im not sure which i could pick, im mostly a RAW guy (cus my raw numbers are too small to put up big numbers in a suit as it is), but im becoming able to appreciate the geared lifts very well. i cant really pick, but i'd rather be able to do those raw lifts my self, but not sure which is more impressive.

Jason Pegg
05-20-2008, 09:35 PM
This is hard because Im nt a gear hating raw nazi, but I would say 1000 geared and 500 raw. I think am VERY close to 700 raw but havent squatted 1000 yet. A 500lb raw bench is unbelievable to me. So is a 700 equipped bench. It takes a ****ton of work to hit any number you listed and each is to be respected IMO.

Jason

StrongAsHell
05-20-2008, 10:18 PM
I think RAW is more impressive but what does it matter? I think if you got to the point that you could do any of those lifts, you wouldnt give a **** who thought you were "impressive."

SGT ROCK
05-21-2008, 03:19 AM
It matters bro because I respect everyones opinion, and it is interesting and informative to see others input....keep it coming!!!

Semper Fi

Bob
05-21-2008, 07:29 AM
SGT. Rock, you probably didn't want this much opinion.. but here goes..

I think they are 2 different sports.. along with the 3rd sport of Single-Ply...

They all have to respected for what they are against the best in their particular sport... what makes it hard is trying to figure what is impressive today vs. tomorrow. Single Ply today is better then Single Ply 20 years ago. Can you imagine when the Multi-ply BP is pushing 1250? Will anyone remember Ryan's fantastic 1070? I hope so, but it's debateable.

However, there have only been 2 raw 700 BPs... raw today is comparible to raw yesterday...

I'm amazed at all the efforts... I just can't compare them though..
I wish the multi-ply & single-ply PL'ers would do some raw comps, but I understand their reasons... injuries, big-weights, whatever floats your boat...

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't respect each other...

I would love to try single or multi-ply... but I choose raw now b/c of the money - I have enough, but I choose to do something else with it - kids, family, etc... I already put over a couple of thousand a year into my raw PL and strongman hobbies (when you include traveling, comp fees, gym fees, etc..) ... another 1000 for gear and the additional learning, etc. is just not in the works.

PL'ing just needs to be about respect... respect everyone's efforts... especially if they are pushing their own limits... setting their own PRs...
raw..single-ply... multi-ply... drug-free... steroids... little guys... SHWs...
RESPECT

sayagain
05-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Both sets of numbers are very impressive. Like someone said earlier, I think most guys that squat 1000 and bench 700 in gear could probably hit 700 squat and 500 bench with a little raw training. You have to remember that everyone starts out lifting raw and most guys usually have more experience doing the lifts raw than they do in gear, unless they've been competing for a long time.