PDA

View Full Version : Max Rep ?

kajeaun
05-20-2008, 10:40 PM
I have been searching for this information, but cannot seem to find it. Can someone help me figure this out or point me in the right direction? I want to find out the safest way to figure my 1 rep max on all major compound lifts.

Reko
05-20-2008, 10:49 PM
by doing them

deeder
05-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Just warm up properly, make sure you have good spotters and don't sacrifice form just because you think you'll get more weight.

Xellarz
05-20-2008, 11:51 PM
It's really not that unsafe to test a 1 RM...

If you're looking for a calculator, you didn't look very hard. Google it.

If you want help on how to warm up to a 1RM, post up an idea of what you wanna hit and we'll write something up.

kajeaun
05-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Not looking for a calculator! (They do not work all that well, used them before)

Just wanted to make sure I was going about it in the right way. Did not know if there was special formula.

This is how I have done it in the past.

Useing the following movements: squat, dead lift, military press, bench

I picked a heavy weight I knew I could lift. I entered the number of lbs x reps into the " 1 rep calculator" and tried to lift the weight it gave me next workout. The weight it gave me as my 1 rep max, I was able to lift beyond 1 rep. I repeated the process until I finally was not able to push the weight. I would go through this routine every other day and it took about two weeks. Like I said, did not know if there was a better way, or if this way was unsafe, etc.

deeder
05-21-2008, 01:42 AM
No that's a terrible way of doing it.

Do it all in one day. Once you get to a weight you know you can do 5, do 2-3 with it, a weight you can do 3 do 1.

Then keep going up until you actually hit a weight that you can only do for one rep.

Travis Bell
05-21-2008, 05:22 AM
yeah, just warm up and work up to a single.

kajeaun
05-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Ah, so I was doing it wrong all along!