PDA

View Full Version : Fun with fish

Reko
05-21-2008, 11:46 AM
There doesn't seem to be quite a bit of threads on fish, which is a large part of my diets as they are pretty lean for the most part. They are also fairly versatile too in terms of flavoring so I fugre there could be quite a variety.

My cut of choice for most that I cook is Tilapia, since it is thin (making thawing optional in a pinch, plus it cooks faster), lean and cheap. I have also done the following with sole with just as good results.

-Lemon pepper:
drizzle some butter on the filets and sprinkle (or drench :P) in lemon pepper seasoning form the spice aisle. Put in a buttered pan for med. heat and flip it 2 or 3 times when ready. Fish will be flaky when prodded with a fork when done. I usually sprinkle some more of the topping on while cooking and as a bonus all the melted butter and seasoning that falls off thickens and kind of acts like a sauce you can scrape out of the pan and pour over. Spinkle parseley flakes on there for the ooo effect :) Really good.

JC's Crushed Red Pepper Tilapia:
Do the above but with cajun seasoning and crushed red pepper instead, and that is VERY VERY good, my fav. hands down. Bonus is the pepper and seasoning will get crispy in the pan and mixed with the melted/thick butter that sits in the pan, you can pour it over for the topping again. mmmmmm good! Hot, but good!

More of a fat free of the above: do it in a george forman (have done the lemon pepper chicken that way with sucess. I imagine the fish would go very fast so you will have to watch it).

A buddy of mine also made some cajun catfish nuggest. They are not healthy if you are looking for cutting foods like the above (depending on the amount of butter used). Here is about what he did:
-Heat oil in a pan about enough to just cover the bottom of the pan on a med-high setting.
-take catfish nuggets and dip them in an egg/milk mix and coat them in cajun seasoning/fish fry breadding mix. He also adds in other spices to the mix as well.
-place in the pan and flip/rotate when necessary. If they get a little black that is ok but will be a darker brownish color when done. The blacker ones I like better since they are a little crispier with the seasonings.

These will be really hot when they are done, just a heads up in case anyone hasn't cooked with oil before.

Anyone else have any other cool fish ideas?

manowar669
05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
This recipe is fantastic with any white fish. Tastes like crabcakes.
recipe (http://www.striper.net/recipes_broiled_rockfish_cakes.htm)

WillNoble
05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
While its a little more expensive, I venture down to the Whole Foods Market down in Kansas, their fish monger is fantastic and can get non-frozen pole caught yellowfin which is amazing when seared on the grill or in a grill pan at VERY high heat, with a wasabi mayo...again, not the cheapest route, but it will go a looong way towards impressing that special lady.

Ben Moore
06-03-2008, 08:44 AM
You sir are a P-I-M-P

bilby1989
06-03-2008, 01:39 PM
is kippers any good?

Lones Green
06-03-2008, 07:34 PM
catching yellowfin is one of the coolest experiences of my life

eating them was even better!

if you want a quick meal and aren't too concerned with calories or carbs, try this...

1 fish fillet (i do it with snapper most of the time)

crumble up townhouse crackers, mix it with milk and a couple eggs and make a crust for it, and fry it in a pan.

when i go down to florida, i do this with fresh fish that i caught and fileted. its sooooooo good!

Focused70
07-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Hobbit Food Pr0nography

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2589436832_e88be1b74b_o.jpg

This was from a few weeks ago.

Pan-roasted arctic char with slow-cooked tomato sauce and roasted potatoes

unsalted butter
Arctic char fillets, about 6 to 8 oz. each
kosher salt

1 can crushed tomatoes or 2 lbs. fresh tomatoes
5 T. unsalted butter
1 onion, peeled and halved
pinch of salt

heirloom potatoes
olive oil
kosher salt
cracked black pepper

For the Arctic char: Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-low heat. When butter ceases sputtering, slip char in skin side down. Cook undisturbed for 15 to 20 minutes or until fish becomes opaque near the top. Finish with a sprinkle of sea salt or kosher salt.

For the tomato sauce: Place onion halves in a sauce pan. Add butter, cut into bits. Add tomatoes. If using fresh tomatoes, peel them, then chop coarsely. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then immediately lower heat to the lowest possible setting. Stir occasionally. Simmer uncovered for 45 minutes to one hour or until droplets of fat coat the back of a wooden spoon. Discard onion. The sauce is wonderful paired with gnocchi, spaghetti or with meat and fish.

For the potatoes: Scrub potatoes. Leave unpeeled. Slice potatoes on a bias or leave whole depending on size. Toss with 2 t. olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast at 375 F for 30 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped herbs prior to service.

ETA -- now I know that's a lot of butter for the tomato sauce. this isn't something I would recommend if you're cutting. but it is pretty damn good. Arctic char is sort of like a cross between salmon and tuna in terms of taste and texture. you could probably leave out the tomato sauce and have it as is. proportions have been intentionally left out since people usually adjust for their individual tastes.