PDA

View Full Version : Briefs - which one to get?

Keith
05-21-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm looking into getting briefs. Not 100% if I should get briefs or a suit, though. Basically, I'm looking into them to reduce as much stress off the hips as possible. The extra lbs they would add to my lifts wouldn't hurt, either.

So, what are the main differences/advantages of getting one over the other?

And which one do you guys recommend as a first pair?

From what I've seen, people seem to recommend Frantz briefs, Metal Pro or Ace briefs as a first pair.

Thanks.

PriestCometh
05-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I dig the Boss and Predators.

WillNoble
05-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Metal Vikings are pretty fantastic IMHO, but if this is your first gear purchase, a suit may be a better option for you, as you could simply train with the straps down

Keith
05-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Why are they a better option? What do they have over briefs?

WillNoble
05-21-2008, 02:59 PM
the fact that you get more function...

Most newer briefs, particularly Metal, are just like a suit, sans straps. By purchasing a suit instead you gain more options as far as training goes in the future. You can again, train with the straps down, and the suit will function much the same as a pair of briefs. However you can put the straps up and reap the full benefits of a suit. However it seems like you're more interested in briefs...

Do as you will

Keith
05-21-2008, 03:03 PM
No I wasn't more interested in briefs, that was just the first thing that was recommended to me. That's why I asked the question what's the difference between the two. If a suit gives everything the breifs do and more, then I may as well look into a suit then, right?

I wish I knew that before making this thread. I've heard good things about the Metal Pro Squatter. What's a decent suit to start with?

WillNoble
05-21-2008, 03:09 PM
the pro squatter is a fantastic suit, but it is by no means for beginners.

As far as overall value goes though, you will see years of great usage out of a Pro Squatter

Keith
05-21-2008, 03:27 PM
So which one do you recommend as a beginner suit?

WillNoble
05-21-2008, 03:29 PM
define beginner...

Rusty
05-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Keith, if I were you, I'd get into a single ply metal squatter. See if you can get together with dan and try on one of his v-squatters.

HP666
05-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Hey Kieth, I was new to gear, for me personally, I bought a single ply, basic suit from Titan, the NXG Superior Suit. It's 59.95. You can't beat that deal. It's a basic suit and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't worn a suit before. Why spend $175 if you don't have to? I would buy the basic, learn the basics of squatting with a suit, then make a more informed decision on buying a better suit. You may want to upgrade to a 2 ply, briefs, whatever, at least you'll know what you're dealing with. And I have to say, I've beat the living hell out of this suit for the last five months and it's still strong. I rarely put the straps up though. Just my $.02 Now that I have an idea of what the hell is going on I'm going to upgrade.

Keith
05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
define beginner...

Someone who is new to gear.

Keith, if I were you, I'd get into a single ply metal squatter. See if you can get together with dan and try on one of his v-squatters.

Great idea. No idea why I didn't think about this. I'll see if he can bring it with him to the meet or something.

Hey Kieth, I was new to gear, for me personally, I bought a single ply, basic suit from Titan, the NXG Superior Suit. It's 59.95. You can't beat that deal. It's a basic suit and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't worn a suit before. Why spend $175 if you don't have to? I would buy the basic, learn the basics of squatting with a suit, then make a more informed decision on buying a better suit. You may want to upgrade to a 2 ply, briefs, whatever, at least you'll know what you're dealing with. And I have to say, I've beat the living hell out of this suit for the last five months and it's still strong. I rarely put the straps up though. Just my $.02 Now that I have an idea of what the hell is going on I'm going to upgrade.

Thanks a lot for the input. I'll look into a basic Titan.

PriestCometh
05-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Centurian is an excellent starter suit.

Detard
05-21-2008, 05:01 PM
My first 2 suits were the Metal V-type squatter.

Sidior
05-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Keith I have a single ply V squatter as well, so maybe you could try that out. I will dig up the sizing again, but hopefully I can get down to you so you can check it out before you purchase anything.

Keith
05-21-2008, 05:19 PM
I spoke to Dan and he's going to be bringing his down for the meet for me to try. Is his Metal V-type squatter the same as your single ply V squatter?

thewicked
05-21-2008, 06:12 PM
awesome stuff guys. I'm following this thread myself since I've recently started squatting wide which I LOVE but it kills my hips with anything raw over 585 so this is something I need to look into. I was thinking of getting a single ply suit and take the straps down or get what my buddy jason pegg suggested and go with a pair of metal's that are a size larger just for the hip support. I'm debating either way.

what do you wear under briefs anyway?

Reko
05-21-2008, 06:17 PM
whitie tighties, nothing, under armor type stuff, or jammers - speedos that go down to the lower thigh. preferable the latter two.

thewicked
05-21-2008, 06:21 PM
whitie tighties, nothing, under armor type stuff, or jammers - speedos that go down to the lower thigh. preferable the latter two.

GOOD DEAL! i was wondering if i was going to have to free ball in my new suit when i get it.. guess not! :omg: :evillaugh:

Detard
05-21-2008, 06:41 PM
GOOD DEAL! i was wondering if i was going to have to free ball in my new suit when i get it.. guess not! :omg: :evillaugh:

I used to wear a pair of really tight bike shorts, now I just use tighty whities since briefs with legs arent allowed in IPF:tuttut:

Ben Moore
05-21-2008, 07:11 PM
I used to wear a pair of really tight bike shorts, now I just use tighty whities since briefs with legs arent allowed in IPF:tuttut:

Time to branch out from the IPF ;)

Ben Moore
05-21-2008, 07:13 PM
My first real suit was the Pro Squatter and I love it. I would however recommend the V-type or some type of single ply suit if you are just trying it out. Spend less money and make sure it's something you want to get into.

David_HoffWSBB
05-22-2008, 06:20 AM
i use the inzer predators and i use the metal viking briefs to train in

RhodeHouse
05-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Get the same type of suit you plan on competing in. It's kinda like learning to run the Option when you'll be running the Spread. Unless you have a buttload of money to throw around, I'd get the suit that you ultimately want to compete in. (2 ply or single-ply)

Keith
05-22-2008, 03:16 PM
My first real suit was the Pro Squatter and I love it. I would however recommend the V-type or some type of single ply suit if you are just trying it out. Spend less money and make sure it's something you want to get into.

V-type sounds good from what I've seen so far.

Get the same type of suit you plan on competing in. It's kinda like learning to run the Option when you'll be running the Spread. Unless you have a buttload of money to throw around, I'd get the suit that you ultimately want to compete in. (2 ply or single-ply)

I didn't exactly plan on competing anytime soon, but eventually I hope to. Single-ply sounds good for now.

RickTheDestroyer
05-22-2008, 04:07 PM
I love the hell out of my Metal Pro Briefs. Love love love. Your mileage may vary, but mine have worked very well for me.

ACaslow
05-22-2008, 09:00 PM
If your not planning to compete you have two good solid options:
Inzer power pants: easy to learn, use and get on off
Inzer Hardcore suit: same as above but with straps but with a little better material.

Keith
05-22-2008, 09:04 PM
If your not planning to compete you have two good solid options:
Inzer power pants: easy to learn, use and get on off
Inzer Hardcore suit: same as above but with straps but with a little better material.

Jesus. Who the hell are you? Your stats are rediculous!

Anyways, at this point, I do plan on competing but I really want to bring up my strength before getting into anything. I'm not sure how long that may be, but I do plan on it.

Ben Moore
05-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Jesus. Who the hell are you? Your stats are rediculous!

Anyways, at this point, I do plan on competing but I really want to bring up my strength before getting into anything. I'm not sure how long that may be, but I do plan on it.

That would be Al Caslow - one hell of a 165'er...

Bob
05-23-2008, 07:06 AM
What about for strongman events? Is there a preference?

A fellow member of our strongman group wants to try a pair for a hi-rep DL event & stones. I'm not really sure they would help for the DLs... but he wants to spend his government rebate on some... and gas (lol)...

Ben Moore
05-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't do them for stones. You wouldn't be able to get down to the stone enough to get it to your lap. DL is preference. Try it out and see.

Bob
05-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks Ben... but I was actually wondering which of the squat briefs should my cohort buy? Is there a difference between briefs for strongman events?

Ben Moore
05-24-2008, 02:21 PM
You know it depends. If you just want something for support, get a single ply frantz or inzer brief. If you want something to get some poundage out of, try out the metal pros or vikings.