PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent catabolism during cardio?

Cue-Ball
03-21-2002, 05:38 PM
I'm finally seeing some gains from lifting but really want to shed a little fat. I already lift four days per week and want to do one or two days per week of cardio to burn the fat (about an hour of elliptical on non-lifting days). However; i'm concerned about my body using my muscles for energy instead of the fat i'm trying to get rid of. What can i do to help prevent my body from going into a catabolic state?

Keep heart rate ~140?
Take L-Glutamine?
Don't do cardio at all until i'm at my target wight?

Any ideas?

jell999
03-21-2002, 05:45 PM
Good start....
Keep your protein levels high.. (1g/lb/day)
Keep hitting the weights hard!

codei
03-21-2002, 10:51 PM
glutamine is pretty damn expensive but i think it does help a little bit.. not sure if its enough to justify the cost.

i also make sure ive had enough carbs prior to my cardio sessions. my cardio is usually in the 30-60 minute range so im guessing it might be a little more intense than what some may do (but im also trying to train for a small marathon). ive found that healthy doses of LOW gi carbs several hours before i run really give me
1. a great workout
2. endurance
3. a low level of catabolism. i say this because i do consistently increase on my weight lifting.

just remember how many calories you burn when you do this.. not the time to starve yourself.

ToysRusKid
03-22-2002, 11:40 AM
worry about building muscle, or burning fat, dont try both, youll get nowhere. as for the cardio, try HMB, its kinda expensive, but it works

PowerManDL
03-22-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by ToysRusKid
as for the cardio, try HMB, its kinda expensive, but it works

Oh dear lord......

ToysRusKid
03-22-2002, 07:59 PM
that was one of your more intelligent arguements, jackass

MonStar1023
03-22-2002, 10:44 PM
Cue-Ball-
Looks good man. I think what youre doing now is a good idea. Glutamine is great for preventing muscle catabolism.

:cool::cool:

Budiak
03-22-2002, 10:45 PM
ANYWAYS, let a serious, informed member interject.

Ass.

That is all.

Oh yeah, btw, as for preventing catabolism- with a solid diet, you should be able to lose a pound a week just from the caloric deficit, if your meal times and portions are correct. When I do cardio, I eat a little extra protein beforehand, so there is enough to stave off muscle eating catabolisisticysm. Cardio does not burn many calories during the execution, rather it really does speed up the metabolism, which burns calories in the long run. I use this to my advantage. Try to eat a little something after cardio, too. Like a glass of milk or some cheap, body hating protein powder.

Cue-Ball
03-22-2002, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. Hopefully i'll continue to see gains on my current program. Now if i could just find that magical instant-muscle-building solution. :)

PowerManDL
03-23-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by ToysRusKid
that was one of your more intelligent arguements, jackass

Shouldn't you be training your upper chest with your Smith machine?

ToysRusKid
03-23-2002, 09:50 PM
i dont do bench with a smith machine

body
03-24-2002, 10:35 AM
try 3*30-40 minutes instead of 2*60 mins

Shane
03-24-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Budiak
Cardio does not burn many calories during the execution, rather it really does speed up the metabolism, which burns calories in the long run. .

:scratch:

Budiak, can you elaborate on this please? It has always been my understanding that cardio burns a lot more calories during the activity and the increase in metabolism after the activity is only slight and of short duration. In contrast, strength training or even HIIT do not burn as many calories as low-to-moderate intensity cardio during the activity but increase the metabolism after the activity for a longer duration.