PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Photo's... getting started

Justin Ryan
05-21-2008, 09:55 PM
So I'm getting started on a new training routine, thought I'd make some progression shots. I'm pretty much just trying to bulk. I'm 6'2, 143lbs. Tell me what you think or if ya have any suggestions, whatnot.

Oh and yes, I am skinny, thats the reason I got into working out, and its really addicting.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s151/kasperjd4/P1130223.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s151/kasperjd4/P1130235.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s151/kasperjd4/P1130237.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s151/kasperjd4/P1130238.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s151/kasperjd4/P1130241.jpg

Regards,

Justin Ryan

cphafner
05-21-2008, 09:59 PM
yes you are skinny, but you look like you have pretty good genetics. I think think you should fill out nicely. Hit the weights and food consistently and you'll get there!

Cards
05-21-2008, 10:29 PM
I agree with Cphafner you have a good base. Grab a good routine, there are plenty on this site. Make sure you rest enough to recover, you grow out side the gym not inside. Eat plenty of food. If you're hungry then eat. Any specific goals beside bulking?

Justin Ryan
05-21-2008, 11:30 PM
If you're hungry then eat. Any specific goals beside bulking?

Ha ha ha, I like that.

Specific goals? I guess bench 150, curl 50's. Pretty much I just want to get to about 165 pounds with 8~10%body fat.. Then go from there, I'm not real big into legs, and I've never done squats or deadlifts.

I'm not sure if my routine is good. Would ya'll check it out for me and critique it? It makes me tired as hell when I finish, and I usually can't finish the entire routine every day. I've only been usuing it for a week, but I'm not sure if its very good or not.

SDS
05-21-2008, 11:38 PM
165?? I'm 6'2 #205 and I still feel skinny!

ProLogic
05-21-2008, 11:39 PM
165?? I'm 6'2 #205 and I still feel skinny!

I'm 116 and nearly 6 ft. You couldn't imagine how I feel. LOL!

Justin Ryan
05-21-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm 116 and nearly 6 ft. You couldn't imagine how I feel. LOL!

Don't worry, When I first started working out in October I weight a little under 130. I put on about 15, then stopped working out, now I'm just picking it up again.

I think 165 is a good goal for now though. It's pretty realistic I think

Nosaj
05-22-2008, 02:49 AM
Look how skinny you are, don't avoid squads/deads because you don't want big legs. They are tiny already, squad/deads will just bring you up to normal. :evillaugh: You will put on a lot of mass really quickly with a balanced routine, and deads work the back just as much as the legs. I agree with cphafner, you look like you have great genetics and you'll put mass on nicely. Skinny people and fat people have the same goals when it comes to body image, calorie counting. You need to write down your calories for a week and then increase them by 15% for a nice, slow bulk (helps build quality mass and minimize fat gain). You either have a ridiculous metabolism or eat very little, don't go by the "eat when you're hungry" mentality because you're already not eating enough and you probably think it's a lot. Just do the 15% thing, it might be a struggle to stay consistent but 6 months down the line you'll be appreciative of your efforts.

Nosaj
05-22-2008, 02:54 AM
Specific goals? I guess bench 150, curl 50's. Pretty much I just want to get to about 165 pounds with 8~10%body fat.. Then go from there, I'm not real big into legs, and I've never done squats or deadlifts.

Not to beat a dead horse but to gain mass you're going to want to stay away from this mentality. Bigger muscles put on mass faster, so legs/glutes/lats etc. are key to achieving increased weight. When you feel you're big enough in those areas since you don't want to be too stocky it sounds like, just maintain and work on your "beach muscles". Chest takes a long time to develop anyways, and if you overtrain your chest/arms you're just going to hinder mass growth. Key to getting bigger is high intensity (not necessarily volume, just effort i.e. weight) and more importantly rest (3 days a week is good) and food (15% calorie intake increase).

Justin Ryan
05-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Really good advice, thanks a lot Nosaj.

Today is legs day, so i'll actually take this seriously and try squats n dead lifts just to start working on my form and the feel of it.

Would I need a belt for squatting?

Jorge Sanchez
05-22-2008, 11:04 AM
You don't need a belt for squatting. In fact, don't even think about using a belt for at least 6 months. Read everything you can about squatting and deadlifting form. Sensei's SquatRx videos are a great resource for squat form.

Justin Ryan
05-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah, there was a really cool guy at the gym today that showed me how to squat and dead lift. he showed me the correct form and helped me for my first few times. Really chill guy. I duno if he's on here but if he is. Thanks!

But for my squat I had already done my entire leg workout before i asked this guy to help me, but I did 6 squats @135.

Patz
05-22-2008, 09:35 PM
your build, height, and weight are basically identical to my younger brother. he dirty bulked on pb sandwiches and little debbie cakes once, and got to 160 at the same bodyfat. it took him a summer. he looked awesome.

literally, in one semester of not lifting and just eating his normal foods, he went back to 135 at the same bodyfat..lol he has some freaky genetics. he always has abs.

i'm pretty sure i DONT have abs..lol

but keep that in mind. your body isn't used to holding extra weight, so you'll have to work hard to keep not only the weight but the muscle as well. you'll HAVE to keep lifting AND eating, or you'll literally shrink.

Justin Ryan
05-22-2008, 09:51 PM
yeah, I've done that. First semester of college I began weighing 135ish, I ate a lot and started working out, got up to 150, then quit working out for the winter and most of the second semester and now I'm back down to 145

I think abs are pretty easy for skinny people like us, my main focus is my chest and arms though. My abs grow super fast.

BFGUITAR
05-23-2008, 12:24 PM
yeah, I've done that. First semester of college I began weighing 135ish, I ate a lot and started working out, got up to 150, then quit working out for the winter and most of the second semester and now I'm back down to 145

I think abs are pretty easy for skinny people like us, my main focus is my chest and arms though. My abs grow super fast.

Just by the way you talk I can tell you need to do a lot of reading. How do you know your abs grow super fast? You dont have much experience and you have no real way to gauge how much muscle is being built.

If you only work out chest and arms your going to look absolutely horrible.

Auburn
05-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Squat heavy, squat often, drink your milk, and sleep.

must_eat
05-29-2008, 10:52 PM
you look my size when i started working out only better looking ;) i like your body by the way, just eat and lift, eat, lift, sleep, eat, lift, sleep :D

Justin Ryan
05-31-2008, 11:57 AM
you look my size when i started working out only better looking ;) i like your body by the way, just eat and lift, eat, lift, sleep, eat, lift, sleep :D

Sorry, but thats just plain creepy. ha ha ha.

Yeah, I'm eating my house out, and working out a lot. I started squating and deadlifting.

Thanks for all the help guys.

fooz
05-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Don't mind him, he's gay. :)

Jordanbcool
05-31-2008, 05:53 PM
This isn't the first time he's seriously hit on one or more members then made an entire thread complaining about people thinking he was gay.

Justin Ryan
05-31-2008, 07:28 PM
This isn't the first time he's seriously hit on one or more members then made an entire thread complaining about people thinking he was gay.

Well, he aint helping it with the banana as his avatar. :tuttut:

nhlfan
05-31-2008, 08:20 PM
that's awkward

Guido
06-02-2008, 11:28 AM
If you want to get big then you need to work your whole body, especially the biggest muscles. Do mainly compound movements in which you can move a lot of weight. Deadlifts, squats, bench, rows, pullups and overhead lifts should be the basis of your routine. Try WBB1, WBB2, or Baby Got Back routines for a while. Mostly, though, you just need to EAT, a LOT. Read the "What a Bodybuilder Eats" thread and that should give you an idea of what you should be eating. Also, track your calories on www.fitday.com for at least a couple weeks to get an idea of what you are eating and how many calories you need. Find out your maintenance calories and then add 500 to that and that's how much you should be eating every day.

Justin Ryan
06-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Where do I find these routines? I'm looking around the site but I can't find them.

jed
06-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Ha ha ha, I like that.

Specific goals? I guess bench 150, curl 50's.

bench goal is fine, but no-no on the curls, son! you need to make a squat goal and a deadlift goal. you may be new but everyone starts somewhere. i remember when my squat goal was 135 full paralell and bench goal was 95. if you curl 3 times a week, after youve figured out it does almost nothing, and have been lifting for 3 years and look back on everything youll probably say 'why did i waste time curling when i could have been doing something more productive?!' i haven't done curls in 8 months, and my arms have grown an inch! you should make a CG bench or skull crusher goal instead, man. thatd be sweet.

mostly listen to everyone on this site. they tell ya to do the big three and work the biggest muscles in your body, i suggest you do just that! ive listened to everyone for a year and i've made some sweet progress. lift heavy, eat heavy, sleep heavy. do that for a looong time, then i think its time to worry about cuttin and stuff. but thats just IMO. hope i helped kinda, mate! :D

Justin Ryan
06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
bench goal is fine, but no-no on the curls, son! you need to make a squat goal and a deadlift goal. you may be new but everyone starts somewhere. i remember when my squat goal was 135 full paralell and bench goal was 95. if you curl 3 times a week, after youve figured out it does almost nothing, and have been lifting for 3 years and look back on everything youll probably say 'why did i waste time curling when i could have been doing something more productive?!' i haven't done curls in 8 months, and my arms have grown an inch! you should make a CG bench or skull crusher goal instead, man. thatd be sweet.

mostly listen to everyone on this site. they tell ya to do the big three and work the biggest muscles in your body, i suggest you do just that! ive listened to everyone for a year and i've made some sweet progress. lift heavy, eat heavy, sleep heavy. do that for a looong time, then i think its time to worry about cuttin and stuff. but thats just IMO. hope i helped kinda, mate! :D

Yeah! thanks for the advice, I did drop my curl goal in my journal. Also I hit my bench goal on june 3rd! here are the new goals

Bench: 180
Squat: 200
DL: 200

Quick question. Whats a cg bench?

jed
06-05-2008, 09:53 AM
those are solid new goals man, and congrats on hitting your bench goal.

a cg bench = close grip bench. bring your hands in closer or equal to shoulder width and KEEP YOUR ELBOWS IN and perform a normal bench rep with that grip. it hits the tris.

Justin Ryan
06-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Ohh!! ok, yeah I do those normally! thanks for cleaing that up for me though. Right now I'm doing 85lbs on that. Soo updated goals:

Bench: 180
Squat: 200
DL: 200
CG Bench: 115

That seems pretty reasonable.

jed
06-05-2008, 09:43 PM
yes it does. as long as your not cheating yourself and squatting deep with correct form and not having anyone yank on your bench bar you'll be making some serious gains soon dude. make sure to EAT. eating is sooo important if you want strength gains, and muscle gains at that!

ps : whats your tattoo mean?

Danhelle
06-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Wow, I though I was skinny, 6,4 1/2 and 210, Being a super ecto is good sometimes though dude, I cant eat enough in a day to make huge gains I see others do, 10 pounds of muscle in last month isnt bad though I guess? Food bill sucks now so hard!

The Ecto aspect is great for maintaining 6 pack though :P

Justin Ryan
06-06-2008, 08:11 AM
yes it does. as long as your not cheating yourself and squatting deep with correct form and not having anyone yank on your bench bar you'll be making some serious gains soon dude. make sure to EAT. eating is sooo important if you want strength gains, and muscle gains at that!

ps : whats your tattoo mean?

Thanks man.

I'm still working on getting my form down. and I'm putting a stool under my butt so I go down until I touch it.

Tattoo means in japanese:

Honesty
Purity
Loyalty

Again, thanks for all the info and help everyone.

jed
06-06-2008, 09:23 AM
sounds good man. just make sure not to rest on that seat, just touch and go. but im sure u know that :D cool tattoo.

Justin Ryan
06-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks man!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone thats helped. My diet and routine is working well. I gained 3 pounds this week! So now I'm 148!! Thanks everyone!

Justin Ryan
06-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Hit 150lbs today!!!!! wohooo!!

fooz
06-16-2008, 06:03 PM
shut up jed. damn nubsauce :)

jed
06-16-2008, 06:46 PM
hey now what'd i do!? you gonna get yourself banned for talkin to a vet like that, boy!

congrats justin on hittin 150! feelin any bigger? keep goin bro.

Justin Ryan
06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys,

yeah I am feeling bigger, I have been adding a lot more weight successfully each weak, and have made some friends at the gym so it's been great. My diet is going swell, except I got a job, which usually gives me night hours (between 5-11) which is normally the hours I eat the most, so it's been hard to keep up with my diet. Otherthan that. Everything is going good. I'm once again getting close to hitting my goals. maybe another two or three weeks.

thanks for all the support and help everyone

Justin Ryan
07-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted here. My gaining weight has slowed down due to some trouble with eating around work.... usually between an 8~10 hour shift with only one break.... And I'm not alowed to eat otherwise. Soo it's been really hard to keep hitting my calories.

So right now I'm at 154lbs.

My Deadlift is up to 215 three times

Squat is at 155 five times

Bench is still at 150, and i can't seem to break it. I think I need someone to spot me so I can get out of my confidence area.

I've been thinking a lot about my goals. And as impossible as it seems right now. I think I would really like to compete in body building competitions in a few years. Seeing a lot of the videos the bigger powerlifters have posted here, and watching the Arnold Classics and other BodyBuilding events really inspired me. So I've been pounding the iron harder than ever before, and I'm sore as hell, but not giving up.

Thanks for the support everyone!

samj
07-18-2008, 08:27 AM
eat man seriously you will thank me later