PDA

View Full Version : What do you cook with rice

dd2000
05-22-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm a noob in the kitchen...what do you guys mix up and serve/eat with plain cooked rice?

Thanks

Reko
05-22-2008, 08:39 AM
chicken usually. mixed with cream of chicken soup, or chicken broth, or both.
Or sometimes with BBQ sauce instead, ronnie coleman style.

Other times ill jsut eat it by iteself or mix in some eggs to try and make fried rice, but i have not been having much luck with that one.

WillNoble
05-22-2008, 09:25 AM
If you dont already have one a rice cooker is awesome...i just put any variety of contents in the water I put into the rice cooker.

My favorite is to put 2 cups of rice in the cooker, with water and the juice of a whole lime, then some chopped cilantro...tastes GREAT

I usually use the cooked rice to make my home versions of a chipotle burrito, sans beans with extra steak and hot sauce instead of salsa

BG5150
05-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I make my own version of pepper steak.

I use:

2 cans Campbell's Consumme of Beef soup
1 onion chopped
2 green peppers chopped
1-1.5 lb stir-fry beef
Rice (amount as desired)
Flour or corn starch, water (optional)

1. Brown beef in a pan, drain, cut into bite-sized pieces
2. Put soup, onion and peppers in pot.
3. Bring to boil
4. Cover, reduce heat; simmer until peppers are soft (usually between 20-30 mins)
5. Meanwhile, prepare rice
6. When peppers are soft, combine 1 tbsp flour or corn starch (I prefer corn starch) with 1/2 cup water, which until well blended. Add to soup mixture and cook uncovered for another 10-15. This should thicken sauce up a bit.
7. Serve mixture over rice.

Total cost: about 10 bucks.

BG5150
05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
If you dont already have one a rice cooker is awesome...i just put any variety of contents in the water I put into the rice cooker.
+1 on the rice cooker.

In college, we would just make a big pot of rice and leave it on "warm." We would always have some rice waiting for us when we got home. Being poor, we would just heat up a little pasta sauce and mix it with the pasta for a quick snack.

BG5150
05-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Another rice meal:

1 whole chicken cut up or 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
1 large jar of pasta sauce
1 onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped (optional)
Mushrooms chopped (optional--I'm not sure how much as I never cook with them, but my roommate would)
rice
curry (hot or mild)
cumin
bay leaves
red pepper flakes

1. Boil chicken for about 15-20 mins (for bone-in chicken), or 8-12 mins (for boneless), remove
2. In new pot (or after cleaning original), add pasta sauce, onions (an peppers and mushrooms, if desired), chicken and spices as desired*.
3. Bring to boil, lower heat, cover, simmer until peppers are soft (about 40 mins) [you can reduce cooking time by sautéing veggies before hand to soften them; if so, cook for about 15 mins]
4. Prepare rice
5. Serve chicken and sauce mixture over rice.

* I usually use some hot curry, cumin, 23 bay leaves and fresh basil. Garlic lovers can add that in, too, but I prefer this dish without it.

I've made this with pasta, too. Also, you can chop up some potatoes, boil them for about 30-40 mins and add to sauce mixure in # 2 and go from there. [obvioulsy, if you use pasta or potatoes, you won't need the rice]

BG5150
05-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Another rice meal:

Very simple:

Make you favorite chili and serve it over rice.

BG5150
05-22-2008, 09:49 AM
I use Uncle Ben's long grain wild rice with some Mrs. Dash as a side dish to a lot of meals.

You can make goulash over rice instead of needles.

There are many pasta dishes for which you can just substitute rice

Reko
05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Got anymore BG? lol.
Any reccomendations for buying a rice cooker (model, extras, etc)? I've been looking at getting one too.

WillNoble
05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Reko, if you want the best get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NP-HBC10-Induction-Heating-Stainless/dp/B000MAKVLQ/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1211474227&sr=8-5

But your best dollar for dollar value is (this is what I have, and love it):

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SR-G06FG-3-3-Cup-Cooker-Steamer/dp/B0009E3F68/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1211474129&sr=8-1

ProLogic
05-22-2008, 11:05 PM
My mom cooks Spanish rice for me every other day.. usually with chicken or fish.

BigDanny817
05-23-2008, 01:06 AM
LoL BG you seem like you love your rice...

getfit
05-23-2008, 03:31 AM
brown basmati rice with lentils and walnuts with cranberries OMG HEAVEN!

yankeekd25
05-23-2008, 06:36 AM
Uncle Ben's Brown Rice. Takes less than 10 minutes to cook. Mix in the beans of your choice. Add w/e frozen veggies you like, and serve next to steak/ chicken. That's a staple in my diet, as it should be to all ppl wanting to get biggggg.

JSully
05-23-2008, 10:36 AM
I like to mix generic brown rice with taco seasoned lean ground beef, kindney beans, lettuce, tomatoes and fat free cheddar cheese..

4oz ground beef w/taco seasoning (weigh after cooking)
1 cup (cooked) brown rice
1/2 cup light red kidney beans
1 cup lettuce
1/2 tomato
1/4 cup ff cheddar cheese

Not including the lettuce and tomato cals (which I don't count anyways)::

672 kcals:: 51p/63c/24f

Goodwinm
05-24-2008, 04:22 AM
This will get your taste buds flowing.

so here is the simple guide.

Ingredients.

600g - 1000g of Chicken breast fillets
Blue Dragon Sweet Chilli Sauce (or your favourite)
Amoy Dark Soy Sauce (or your favourite)
Tilda Basmati Rice (The very best rice)
knob of butter
Stir Fry Vegetables (if your feeling particularly healthy)
Cooking Oil

Utensils

Wok or Frying pan (Wok easier)
Wooden Spoon

Directions

1. Heat wok to number 5 or 6. approx 200 degress celcius perhaps.

2. Cut the chicken fillets into chunks. (reasonably sized)

3. Place all the chicken chunks into the wok

4. Stir occasionaly until all the chicken chunks appear white

5. Pour in half a bottle of Sweet Chilli Sauce and stir it in.

6. Add the knob of butter into the mix aswell and stir in until it has absorbed into the chicken. Also start boiling the rice.

7. Pour between 1/4 and 1/2 of the Dark Soy Sauce into the mix and stir occasionaly until you get the incredible sizzle.

8. The chicken should be pretty well done by now (15 mins). Add vegetables if desried.

9. Stir occasionaly every other few minutes.

10. After about 20 minutes your Sweet Chilli Chicken should be complete and so should the rice all being well. (I have an electric hob so it takes me ages to cook this meal)

Serve it up. Using about a 1KG serving of chicken is pretty good for my partner and I.
We cook this all the time and it taste delicious!!
The butter makes the chicken extra tender and is erfect if you want something a little more exciting than just eating chicken breast fillets with BBQ sauce. (not putting Ronnie down at all. I love BBQ sauce and Chicken too!)

Hope some people may try this recipe out.

Regards
Mike

dd2000
05-24-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm trying them all, thanks a lot :)

Detard
05-25-2008, 02:26 PM
I love to eat rice straight up cooked with butter. I've had it in stirfry though and thats really good too.

MillerTime1485
05-25-2008, 02:32 PM

I use:

1 onion chopped
2 green peppers chopped
1-1.5 lb stir-fry beef
Rice (amount as desired)

3. Bring to boil
4. Cover, reduce heat; simmer until peppers are soft (usually between 20-30 mins)
6. When peppers are soft, combine 1 tbsp flour or corn starch (I prefer corn starch) with 1/2 cup water, which until well blended. Add to soup mixture and cook uncovered for another 10-15. This should thicken sauce up a bit.

Thats strange my girlfriend makes rice similar to this all the time but i've never met anyone who's even thought of putting consume in rice but its amazing.

BG5150
05-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Thats strange my girlfriend makes rice similar to this all the time but i've never met anyone who's even thought of putting consume in rice but its amazing.

My Mom used to make it for us all the time.

You can also cook the rice right in the soup instead of water. (Not for my recipe, but on its own). It make a beef flavored rice. Pretty tasty.

BG5150
05-29-2008, 07:18 AM

I use:

1 onion chopped
2 green peppers chopped
1-1.5 lb stir-fry beef
Rice (amount as desired)

3. Bring to boil

Made this last nite again. Oh so yummy!

spongebob819
06-01-2008, 04:01 AM
grilled chicken breast with buttered veggies

WORLD
06-01-2008, 07:15 PM
BG5150, the world called, they're out of rice. :evillaugh:

I like the curry and chicken one, I'm going to try it soon. It looks easy.

dd2000
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
So far I tried Goodwinm's recipe and it was very good....i'm going to make the rest shortly! I have about half of the ingredients..

dd2000
06-05-2008, 03:00 PM

I use:

1 onion chopped
2 green peppers chopped
1-1.5 lb stir-fry beef
Rice (amount as desired)

3. Bring to boil

I almost have all of the ingredients for this and I want to try it next...would it be possible to use 1-1.5lbs ground beef though??

BG5150
06-06-2008, 01:41 PM
I almost have all of the ingredients for this and I want to try it next...would it be possible to use 1-1.5lbs ground beef though??
I guess you could try it. I never have. Let me know how it comes out.

(if you don't like it, try it with the stir fry meat or some steak before you give up on the recipe)

dd2000
06-10-2008, 04:13 PM
I guess you could try it. I never have. Let me know how it comes out.

(if you don't like it, try it with the stir fry meat or some steak before you give up on the recipe)

Tried it today...it was excellent. I actually substituted "Campbell's Consumme of Beef soup" for "Campbells Vegetable Soup". Came out very good.. :)

On to the next..

ljs102
06-10-2008, 05:52 PM
I usually just add some steamed tofu to my rice, or some grilled chicken. I'm definitely gonna try some of these recipes though, I'm a huge rice fan.

dd2000
06-30-2008, 11:49 AM
I pretty much tried everything here and it was all great. Just wondering though, how long can the rice/chicken/beef, etc be left in the fridge before going bad? I like to make big meals so I can take some of it to work during the day.

Willie
07-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I use canned low-sodium, organic black beans to mix with my rice.
Easy, low in fat, high in protein and fiber, and tasty, too!

builderbabe
07-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I do the black bean thing too, and chop up tomatoes or use low sodium canned tomatoes and mix in there as well. its really good.

WBBIRL
07-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Rice...

I did this before and it was really good.. take some season all like lawrys seasoning salt and some butter and mix it together

or

prepare chicken breasts, heat up a can of cream of mushroom soup and put in/over rice

I also like to make stir fry with rice instead of lo mein noodles

BG5150
07-14-2008, 07:41 PM
I pretty much tried everything here and it was all great. Just wondering though, how long can the rice/chicken/beef, etc be left in the fridge before going bad? I like to make big meals so I can take some of it to work during the day.

In Tupperware, things can last longer than you think. I've had things last two weeks or more.