PDA

View Full Version : Boneless, skinless Chicken

Dizzee
05-22-2008, 03:05 PM
I am usually a fan of chicken especially with a Roast dinner but this type I know is the healthiest but it makes me feel sick even thinking of eating it. Is eating chicken with the skin on really bad for you?? I guess I could get the chicken with bones in and peel the skin off which I think is nicer but it is less chicken. Maybe eating 2 pieces of the chicken is too much at one time. What do you think and how can you spice it up?

Justin Ryan
05-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Lately I've been making about 6 peices(boneless, skinless) at a time, then just eat 1 at a time. I like to change up the different seasonings though, Sometimes a lemon pepper, orange marinade, garlic salt, carribean jerk, italian, oriental(stirfry), bbq, mexican(fajita style seasonings), roasted/rotisery, Olive oil, rosemarry & thyme.

Soo thats a bunch of different kinds to get a lot of different tastes!!

dang, now I'm hungry...

Dizzee
05-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Ah thx I haven't been having any seasonings maybe that's why I am sick of them!

mickyjune26
05-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Oh yeah, def gotta season them up. Maybe there's a thread somewhere with all the diff easy ways to spice up chicken.

Did you know that if you dip your chicken in cocktail sauce it almost tastes like fish?

okay...not really....but it was worth trying....twice.

.Tim
05-23-2008, 03:57 PM
I cook mine on a George Foreman grill plain and they taste great to me.

ProLogic
05-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Never liked the taste of the skin.. unless it was from KFC.

StrongAsHell
05-23-2008, 05:05 PM
The best way to keep the chicken tasty (I find) is to butterfly the breast open, season it however you like, and throw it on a sizzling hot grill. It will cook so fast that it will barely lose any juice. Thats the biggest part of eating chicken for me, moisture. If its dry I just cant force it down, no matter what you put on it.

Szust
05-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Another way to avoid losing moisture is by covering whatever you're cooking it in. In a pan? Put another pan over it. That's probably why it tastes so good in a Foreman grill. You can also try cooking it faster, but too fast and the inside doesn't get cooked as well, and you risk burning the outside.

StrongAsHell
05-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Another way to avoid losing moisture is by covering whatever you're cooking it in. In a pan? Put another pan over it. That's probably why it tastes so good in a Foreman grill. You can also try cooking it faster, but too fast and the inside doesn't get cooked as well, and you risk burning the outside.

Covering it is good. The inside will cook thoroughly if you cut the breast nice and thin (butterfly).

Fixxit
05-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Don't forget you can pound em too. Put the chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap and and beat the crap out of it with a tenderizing hammer (Flat side!) and toss it in a pan with seasoning. Cooks in a 2-3 minutes and is tender!

You can also cut it into strips then pund it and toss it in some veggies for stirfry with peanut oil (has a higher temp and cooks fast before veggies get mushy) or olive oil with a splash of soy sauce.

Cut into strips and pound it (or not), toss in some thin julian (sp?) red bell pepper, tomato sauce and chopped chipotle peppers. Wrap it in a burrito with cheese. Flippin awsome!

Cook the breast, break it up and add it to a can of your favorite chili fo a huge protein boost. I toss a can of tuna in it too but that is an aquired taste.

You can buy those packaged marinades too and pound the chicken before you marinade it. 1 pack will do about 3-5lbs of chicken.

Cook it in a pyrex 11x7 pan with rice. They both take about the same amount of time to cook and you can flavor the rice 100 different ways. 2 cups water, 1 cup rice, 3-4 breasts. Season (I like hot sauces or even those asian flavorings), cover with foil and cook for 30 mins at 350. (Again you may need to adjust for your altitude and oven) or just until the pink is gone.

Cook it with the skin on and peel it off if you are adverse to the skin like I am. It adds alot of flavor. leave it on the bone, it also adds alot of flavor!

Chicken is like the potato of proteins. You can cook it 1000 different ways and make each one of them taste good. The biggest problem people have is cooking the breasts too much to the point of rubber and dry.

Hint #1: Never cut the chicken to see if it is done!!!!!!! Learn how long to cook it in 'your' oven just to the point beyond pink in the middle. It takes a bit of experimentation, but you will get it. This is so important.

#2: If you cook it whole, let it rest a couple minutes after pulling it out of the oven, to allow for the juices to redistribute in the meat.

#3: If you cook the pounded chicken in a skillet make sure the skillet is very hot, and the oil should just barely start to smoke. Depending on the oil you use the temp will be different. Beware when you put any moisture in the skillet it will spatter alot, so be careful.

EDIT: Almost forgot one of my favorites...

Pound a boneless skinnles breast out to about 1/8-1/4" thick should make a 8"x8" almost square. Spread some pesto (store bought is cheapest just make sure they only use olive oil) on it and roll it up. Cook in the oven 350 for about 15-20 mins. Again takes a little practice to make sure the inside is cooked fully. This is an awsome date dinner and so flippin easy to cook.