PDA

View Full Version : Hows this for a post workout shake

TrainedApe
05-23-2008, 10:20 AM
:read: 1/2 cup of quaker oats, 1 medium banana, some water, and a scoop of whey powder.

anything wrong nutritionaly with it or anything else you guys can think of?

yankeekd25
05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
:read: 1/2 cup of quaker oats, 1 medium banana, some water, and a scoop of whey powder.

anything wrong nutritionaly with it or anything else you guys can think of?

I use milk instead of water for more protein/ carbs and I throw natty PB in there. Some people say you shouldn't consume fats immediately after you workout, but the PB makes it taste amazing, and it's only a tablespoon. Are you cutting or bulking? If your bulking, people will tell you to throw all kinds of stuff in there, like olive oil, more fruits, yogurt, etc....

Insane
05-23-2008, 11:11 AM
some raw egg and milk tastes better then that water...

yankeekd25
05-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Raw eggs aren't that great for you....

Drinking raw eggs

Q:Iíve recently started putting a raw egg in my protein shakes because my dad said it was a good idea. Iíve noticed you know a lot about dieting and nutrition and I was just wondering if it is indeed a good idea?

This is my basic recipe...

1 cup of fat free milk
2 scoops vanilla whey
sometimes a banana
and recently a raw egg

A: Okay - it's an old-school concept, and it's not a great one (but itís not THAT bad!)

Raw egg white interferes with biotin absorption (5) (biotin is one of the B-complex of vitamins, and avidin, a glycoprotein (6) found in raw egg white, binds to it). From a single egg white, this wonít cause a significant problem, but it's a negative, not a positive. And raw eggs can carry salmonella.

Cooking deactivates avidin (cooking denatures proteins), and doesn't harm the protein content of the egg one bit. It also kills any salmonella bacteria present . (7)

(On a side note Ė donít worry about denaturing (8) protein. Your body still digests it fine Ė it just means the shape of the molecule has changed and any biological activity it once had is now gone Ė for example, an enzyme wonít work once itís been cooked.)

Now, if youíre looking to include egg protein in your shake, Nitrean has it in there already.

And it tastes a LOT better than raw eggs!

From The Queen herself, Built. http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=300

Insane
05-23-2008, 01:23 PM
i never thought of the salmonella part... i eat.. i mean drink alot of raw eggs... in my shakes of course

StrongAsHell
05-23-2008, 05:19 PM
PWO I drink Opticen. I even toss a little PB in there sometimes just to switch it up.

RhodeHouse
05-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Raw eggs are fine.

Post workout for strength athletes should be 3/1 or 4/1 carbs to protein. No fats. Fats slow down the digestive process.

I take in 100g of carbs post-workout w/ 6g of Luecine. 20 minutes later, I take in 25g od whey. Then, I try to eat as much as I can when I get home from the gym.

If that's too com-plicated for you, jsut get 3/1 carbs to protein immediately after your workout with no fat.

FireRescue
05-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Raw eggs are fine.

I also agree with this if they are local farm fresh eggs. I am slightly less comfortable of the commercially farmed eggs.