PDA

View Full Version : ME Bench video from today

Travis Bell
05-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Well since Rob is posting vids I figured it was time I got some of mine up here. Today the main focus was floor press with 100lbs of chain and then we did a couple of sets of regular bench with 405. I wanted 8 reps, but only got 7 on the second set. I'm not totally sure why I didn't go for it on the first set. Sometimes I just like to feel the weight

The big guy behind me is my new training partner. Full time trainer and very very big squatter. Once we get him figured out in the gear, he'll be a very big contender in the 275 class

Anyways, enjoy the video!

kOdd3QNYJjA

BFGUITAR
05-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Your one strong dude!

Jonah
05-23-2008, 01:19 PM
nice lifts man

Hazerboy
05-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Strong lifts!

Two quick questions: I noticed that you and a LOT of other really big benchers lift their head off the bench when they bench. Why is this? So you can see the bar touch? Is it just a natural thing that happens when you're moving big weights?

And second - is your floor press more, less, or about equal to your bench? What is common for good benchers? You would think it would be more, because the ROM is shorter, but you also can't get that nice arch or really pull your shoulder blades together.

Travis Bell
05-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys! haha its not quite Rob or Wolfe's or Vin's level, but I'm workin on it!

I raise my head really more because thats the way Lou taught me to bench. in a shirt it decreases the range your arms have to go at the bottom and it helps me drive into the bench off the chest.

My floor press is typically about even with my flat bench, but currently its a little behind because I've neglected it a tad. I still pinch my shoulders together but don't use leg drive or arch in the floor press. As for what it "should be" it really seems to be different for many. For alot of the big guys, their chest's are so big its pretty close to a full range bench

Rob Luyando
05-23-2008, 02:52 PM
I don't post videos. That is all Bill's doing. That is why you will see me give the camera the bird every week.

StrongAsHell
05-23-2008, 04:56 PM
:thumbup: That floor press almost touched, damn! I must build my arch.

Travis Bell
05-23-2008, 05:57 PM
I never noticed you give the camera the bird though hahaha! I'll have to watch for that next time.

ZenMonkey
05-23-2008, 06:59 PM
awesome pressing. very strong!

thewicked
05-23-2008, 09:45 PM
SIIIIIIIIIIIICK TRAVIS! Way to slay that floor press good lord!

chris mason
05-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, that is a stupid strong floor press! Great work!

Rob Luyando
05-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Oh forgot to say nice work!

Erik 23
05-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Nice you are Very strong Travis.When you jumped to 405 were you sore a little?cause you took it down nice and slow i thought you were gonna blast it up. It went up easy though

Travis Bell
05-24-2008, 08:44 AM
haha Thanks guys!

Erik - when I'm doing a weight for reps, if I blast it up, I lose steam rather quickly because it takes alot of energy to do that. I save that for the singles

plus thats actually the first time I've done reps with 405 so I may have held back a tad

Erik 23
05-24-2008, 09:02 AM
haha Thanks guys!

Erik - when I'm doing a weight for reps, if I blast it up, I lose steam rather quickly because it takes alot of energy to do that. I save that for the singles

plus thats actually the first time I've done reps with 405 so I may have held back a tad

OK i understand see i thought westsiders were taught to blast up everything pretty much. Ive seen george halbert lift at mike wolfes charity meet. and every thing that was on the bar he blasts up it seems with the same amount of force.If that's your first time repping 405 very impressive you look as if you could have gotten a few more if you wanted Nice lifting Bro.

Ryano
05-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Lookin' real strong. Good work!

BPM Osgood
05-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Nice Work Brother!! Crazy Floor Presses!

Travis Bell
05-24-2008, 10:29 PM
OK i understand see i thought westsiders were taught to blast up everything pretty much. Ive seen george halbert lift at mike wolfes charity meet. and every thing that was on the bar he blasts up it seems with the same amount of force.If that's your first time repping 405 very impressive you look as if you could have gotten a few more if you wanted Nice lifting Bro.

we are taught to explode. What you've seen with George is him warming up for a single. When I'm warming up for a single, whether its in my shirt or raw, I do make every rep a speed rep.

Difference though is when you're going for extended reps, you can waste alot of engergy exploding on every rep. Energy that could be used for extra reps. Make sense? If those sets had been warmups for a max attempt, they definatly would have been too slow. Now granted, you'll see people do some things differently. Phil does reps and when he does them they are very explosive. Me on the other hand, I tend to find a good solid gear and just push at a constant pace. I can do them fast, but I just wear out faster

motoko013
05-25-2008, 05:42 AM
what does the floor press work? would floor press benefit someone who is only focusing on gaining mass? what is the reason for floor press, is it to get the lock out portion of the lift? thanks

Hazerboy
05-27-2008, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=Travis Bell;1933641]
I raise my head really more because thats the way Lou taught me to bench. in a shirt it decreases the range your arms have to go at the bottom and it helps me drive into the bench off the chest. /QUOTE]

Yeah I think about all the big benchers I've seen follow the bar down--I thought it was just so they new where it was, I had no idea it decreased the ROM. Does it help much for raw lifters too?

Travis Bell
05-27-2008, 10:57 PM
well, I probaby said it wrong, its not only raising the head, its also rolling the shoulders forward.

stand up and with your arms in front of you, bring them down like you were benching. When you get to about 3 in off your chest (or where your hands would be if the bar was 3in off your chest) lift your head and roll your shoulders forward, watch your hands go down, but you actually didn't lower them any further. Thats more the idea

Now that my head is up, I have something to drive back when I am lifting off the chest. I drive my head and shoulders back to help develop that starting momentum. I hope that makes sense haha

Travis Bell
05-27-2008, 10:58 PM
what does the floor press work? would floor press benefit someone who is only focusing on gaining mass? what is the reason for floor press, is it to get the lock out portion of the lift? thanks

Floor press works on your triceps. its more for mid range power but I find alot of carryover to my full range bench as well. I bench with my elbows quite tucked even when I'm raw so thats why I get lots of carryover

Szust
05-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Floor press works on your triceps. its more for mid range power but I find alot of carryover to my full range bench as well. I bench with my elbows quite tucked even when I'm raw so thats why I get lots of carryover

Do you do floor work every time you go for an ME bench, or on different occasions?

Travis Bell
05-28-2008, 08:20 AM
no, I rotate it in as a max effort exercise. This week we were not using the shirts and I have been wanting to work on my floor press strength. It certainly can be used as an ascessory exercise for heavy reps which I do occasionally.

Eric Downey
05-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Nice work bro. When we do our floors presses we start in the whole. Must be Jesse's way of making us work harder.

PriestCometh
05-28-2008, 12:02 PM
One of my favorite exercises to do(along with plyo jumps).

Nice work, Brother.