PDA

View Full Version : Progressive routines vs periodized routines for cutting

BFGUITAR
05-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Right now I am doing Ripptoe's starting strength routine and have had fantastic results. I have gained about 15 quality pounds in 3 months and my gains have been very nice. I bulked up in a state of slight fatness. I felt I wasn't strong enough/had enough muscle to justify a cut. Now I feel I do.

Coming this June, I'm thinking of losing 10-15 pounds of fat. Ripptoe's has been great for my bulk, but I am curious to know if it will yield great results. What I have been thinking of doing is instead of hitting a higher weight at 3x5, I would hit maybe 3x3 with a drop set of 8 reps and than build for that.

Eg.
I did 175 for 3x5
Than I do 180 3x3 Followed by 155 for 6 reps
3x4...
3x5...

Up the weight again.

I'm also thinking of going back and doing Westside and hit 3 rep maxes. So what I'm asking is what routine have you used during a cut that yielded great results? As well, I am a bit confused about periodization... all I know is that people use it when progressive gains don't, what is a good example of periodization?

Hazerboy
05-27-2008, 02:04 PM
The only time I've gone on cuts are for wrestling season, but from what I've read from BUILT's posts I think as long as you keep the weights heavy and the reps low, you'll be fine -- the rest is just diet (especially if this is your first cut).

Adam
05-30-2008, 09:32 PM
:withstupi:
Just go hard and heavy on lifting sessions when cutting. Usually have to drop some volume too.