PDA

View Full Version : 700 pound bench

TankOfTeamStone
05-25-2008, 04:28 PM
i'm fairly new to this forum but anyway I finally went for 700 pounds today in my inzer double ply Rage-X off a 3 board, wanted to do a 2 board but my coach (Eric Stone) suggested me to do a 3 board, plus this was my first time having 700 pounds in my hands. I got 605x1 down to a 1 board, next 2 sets i worked on touching in the shirt a bit more with a 650x1 off a 2 board, i did 700 with a 3 board just to get used to weight and touching with the shirt, seems like if i raise my head more and more it's easier to touch, anyone got any good pointers on touching with this shirt?

Travis Bell
05-25-2008, 05:58 PM
wait for Rob Luyando to chime in before changing anything. He knows the Rage X better than anyone. Maybe describe a little more what you've tried to do to touch in the shirt. Can you post video?

For just plain ol' general advice, most guys when they go to touch, they don't tuck their elbows hard enough and they lose their arch, forgetting to push their belly up into the bar. How much do you weigh?

I'm a little confused about your post, you said you got 605 down to a 1brd, but tried a bit more with touching 650 to a 2brd? I can touch 585 in my super phenom and bench 700+ off the chest as well. its mostly about technique

TankOfTeamStone
05-25-2008, 06:24 PM
well i just got this shirt i got 55 1/2 chest and gotten a size 58, size 60 is way to big, takes me about 20-30 minutes to get size 58 shirt on with shirt slippers, i'm a very big guy around 340 when i get in the shirt my arch sucks i got a decent one when i do my raw work, i do tuck my elbows. all i heard today was tuck, tuck, tuck. last weekend i got 605x2 off 2 board which was easy, today we just about got the shirt seated right, i got big arms and darn sleeves just wont go up anymore so we just rolled them so my elbows showed, i should gotten size 58 with 60 arms but the arms in size 60 were big. i have talked to rob, i called him last year in may about some problems i was having with my other shirt

Travis Bell
05-25-2008, 09:17 PM
what's your best bench off the chest currently? have you thought about just planting more weight on the bar?

sounds like you've a pretty advanced shirt, which is fine, you're just going to have to learn how to release into it though. Paul Key could add to this as well (bencher8) he wears his shirts pretty tight. With a shirt that tight though, you're really going to have to focus on releasing into the shirt. Still squeeze the bar very tight, but allow the shirt to stop the weight. Kinda difficult to explain but you'll get the hang of it. Otherwise you'll just have to get a custom shirt. I tend to always get my shirts custom. Never had a problem with one that was custom

TankOfTeamStone
05-26-2008, 09:36 AM
i got 575 down to my chest with my other shirt. i put some more weight on the bar yesterday from going 605x2 off a 2 board last week to 650 and 700. i think right now i just got to learn the groove of the shirt and practice with the shirt and my technique. i was thinking about working sets of 2-3 reps. From going from a size 60 to a size 58 it's a whole new game for me but i will eventually learn the shirt. i need to get the arm opening a bit bigger so i can get shirt seated properly. i might try the football technique. thanks for the valuable advice

Travis Bell
05-26-2008, 10:37 AM
the football technique does work, but just make sure you don't blow the ball up too much otherwise once you stretch the shirt too much. Your sleeves may be too long as well. The biggest thing when seating the shirt is to make sure it gets back in the armpit enough. The rest you can just roll up. Also, try putting plastic bags on your arms, the sleeves will slide right up there

TankOfTeamStone
05-26-2008, 12:09 PM
the new shirt i bought is open back with velcro, 2" off sleeves and grid stich. I used my training partners metal suit slippers and that seemed to make it much easier for getting the shirt on. since elite fts is having a big sale this weekend i mind as well buy my own and some other goodies. i'll try the football technique

Rob Luyando
05-26-2008, 04:14 PM
3 brd? WTF? LOL! I only use a 3 brd with a shirt when I am trying to break one in(Super Phenom). I have never had a Rage X that needed more than a 2 brd and my shirts are jacked. Heres the thing if your scared of the weight and don't want to try to take it down toa 2 brd you shouldn't be attempting it untill your confidence is there. At 340 if you can handle 650 to a 12 brd 700 should be no problem full range. As for the football in the sleeve I would stay away from it. If you over stretch the shirt your pretty much screwed. Use walmart bags the sleve will come on if they are meant to.

TankOfTeamStone
05-26-2008, 06:29 PM
i was trying to break the shirt in. this shirt is crazy tight on me, it was my 2nd time in the shirt. i got the shirt almost seated but it still doesn't want
to go up anymore. i'll try 2 weeks from now and try to get the dam thing seated right with some walmart bags. i'm still learning the groove of the shirt and my technique with the shirt.

Rob Luyando
05-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Bring a spray bottle and wet the chest plate, shoulder seems and rear of tri-ceps after the shirt is on that will help loosen the material up a little and make it easier to lower weight.

TankOfTeamStone
05-26-2008, 07:52 PM
i never thought of that, i'll do that next time in the shirt

Travis Bell
05-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Actually I'd probably wet the shirt before putting footballs in the sleeves Tank, good luck with your shirt!

TankOfTeamStone
05-26-2008, 08:24 PM
i'll try it next time i'm in the shirt, i'll let you know what happens, i got to deload this week

TankOfTeamStone
06-08-2008, 02:00 PM
not to bad today, i got 615x1 off a 1 board still need a lot more to touch. i was about an inch or so from touching. so i said lets go for 650 and see if i can easily touch the 1 board so then i can get a number in my head that i can touch with. It went down ok with control but the left sleeve was over my elbow joint and when i got it down there was a sharp pain in my elbow. thank god for the spotters and took it, i didnt dump the weight which was the good thing. but i was drained after my 3rd set (565x2 off 2 board) i was sweating like bullets when i got off the bench, the pad was like a river. it was just humid as hell in the weight room today it drained everything out of me. no dam A/C. i tried wetting the shirt but since i was sweating so much i wet it with my own sweat lol.

vdizenzo
06-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Rob's advice is golden. I could not do anything with the poly shirts until Rob gave me some advice. His results speak volumes.

vdizenzo
06-08-2008, 09:30 PM
My size 58 goes on with one tug from my training partner. I am going to try the Super Duper Phenom after my meet in June anyway.

Travis Bell
06-08-2008, 09:36 PM
yeah my super Phenom goes on with just a little bit of effort from my training partners. I'm not into super tight shirts. I get more out of them when I can jack them up really well. If they are super tight, they tend to work against me really quick. I'm not saying mine doesn't leave its mark on me haha, but its not too hard to get into either.

TankOfTeamStone
06-08-2008, 09:41 PM
i used suit slippers today it's still hella tight expecially by the end of the sleeve by my elbow, took about 30 minutes to get the dam thing on plus sweating your a$$ off doesn't help while getting the shirt on. now i should of gotten size 58 with 60 arms. i'll see next week if i can anything to touch if not then i guess i half to use my size 60 for my next meet, i got 3 weeks until APF summer bash

Eric Downey
06-08-2008, 10:24 PM
3 brd? WTF? LOL! I only use a 3 brd with a shirt when I am trying to break one in(Super Phenom). I have never had a Rage X that needed more than a 2 brd and my shirts are jacked. Heres the thing if your scared of the weight and don't want to try to take it down toa 2 brd you shouldn't be attempting it untill your confidence is there. At 340 if you can handle 650 to a 12 brd 700 should be no problem full range. As for the football in the sleeve I would stay away from it. If you over stretch the shirt your pretty much screwed. Use walmart bags the sleve will come on if they are meant to.

Thats great advise Rob I gonna use some of that myself. Ive found in me that my speed is the difference in touching with the heavier weights. Its like im trining to hard to keep it in the grove.