PDA

View Full Version : Does your diet mess up your life?

beachmuscles
05-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Until now I've always sucked it up. But today I realized to myself...and had a mental collapse...I'm not competing nor do I want to compete, but yet I treat bodybuilding as my job. I'm always thinking in terms of 2-3 hours (meal intervals) and what I'm going to eat next. I have an extremely plain/simple diet, and cheat on Friday nights with my friends eating crap and drinking beers. I have absolutely no problem following a strict diet. Measuring/weighing foods come natural to me, and I enjoy it.

After Friday is over, I usually go back to square one...Oatmeal, chicken, tuna, etc. It was easy during the school year, but now me and all my friends are on summer vacation, and everyone wants to hang out all the time. Like for example today I got a call to head to the beach but they we're leaving in 20 minutes, I knew if I went my diet would be crappy all day...So I figured I would just go by the pool over here with my friend. Then some people asked me to come out tonight, but I figured I need to eat in another hour, so maybe I'll meet up with them later.

I know the common answer would be, WOW just be less anal...But I strive for perfection, and if I slack/miss meals I just feel like crap. I always wonder how "Strict" I have to be to obtain the look I want.

Does anyone else feel there diet interferes with there life?

MillerTime1485
05-25-2008, 05:53 PM
That sounds like an addiction or phobia to change your extremely strict routine. Like you said be less anal (not as easy as it sounds I know).

bjohnso
05-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Why do you think you need to eat every 2-3 hours? Just grind up a huge shake at the end of the day if you have not met your requirements.

bjohnso
05-25-2008, 06:11 PM
But to answer your question, yes, my diet messes up my social life. Lol.

yankeekd25
05-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Yesterday I was over my friends house, and they ordered some pizzas, wings, and breadsticks from Dominos. I had already planned out my diet for the day, and I actually brought over a burrito that was already calculated into my fitday. After finishing it, I was still hungry. So what did I do? I ate 2 slices of pizza and a wing. This morning I woke up with the WORST stomach ache of my life. I hadn't eaten crap like that in a few months, and instead of paying the social price, I was paying the physical price lol. If I'm with friends and they order junk food (anything but fast food) I'll eat. It's just hard to resist it when you see them all eating it.

beachmuscles
05-25-2008, 07:13 PM
But to answer your question, yes, my diet messes up my social life. Lol.

Alot of people like to say no, but on the inside if your a strict dieter it definitely does.

WORLD
05-25-2008, 09:57 PM
My diet actually improves the quality of my life, simply because I feel better. But as you said in your original post, it can definitely get in the way. I have an extremely hard time managing a small business and eating all day. I get so involved in my work that I actually forget to eat, or don't feel like eating like I should.

What you're doing is making sacrifices in order to achieve something you truly desire. There is nothing wrong with that and you shouldn't feel guilty about it, but rather be proud. Working hard will get you what you strive for, and you will feel a sense of accomplishment when you get there. Then you'll think back to all the times you missed out on a party or whatever it may be and shrug it off.

We have a twenty dollar bill every week which represents our time. We have to choose what we spend that money on.

Phenom
05-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Interesting topic. I used to have similar feelings, then I realized I'm never going to compete, I'd be less stressed out, and my genetics are ****ty anyway. I gave up on the whole "if you can dream it, you can do it" bull****. That's nonsense anyway. I'm never going to look how I used to want to look, but I've come to terms with that. I'm happy with how I'm living now. I still lift regularly, I count calories everyday (roughly), regulate the diet to an extent, but I'm not going to blow off my family on christmas because I need to go do my squats, or refuse an occasional nice meal that my girlfriend prepares for me even if it's not ideal for my diet.

Some people will probably read this and think they're better than me because they stuck it out, they're still dedicated, blah blah blah. Yeah yeah, I can live with that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've lowered lifting/dieting on my list of priorities, and I'm happy that I did. Not saying that's your best option, just saying that in my opinion there's nothing wrong with that if that's what you decide to do.

bjohnso
05-26-2008, 07:00 AM
Interesting topic. I used to have similar feelings, then I realized I'm never going to compete, I'd be less stressed out, and my genetics are ****ty anyway. I gave up on the whole "if you can dream it, you can do it" bull****. That's nonsense anyway. I'm never going to look how I used to want to look, but I've come to terms with that. I'm happy with how I'm living now. I still lift regularly, I count calories everyday (roughly), regulate the diet to an extent, but I'm not going to blow off my family on christmas because I need to go do my squats, or refuse an occasional nice meal that my girlfriend prepares for me even if it's not ideal for my diet.

Some people will probably read this and think they're better than me because they stuck it out, they're still dedicated, blah blah blah. Yeah yeah, I can live with that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've lowered lifting/dieting on my list of priorities, and I'm happy that I did. Not saying that's your best option, just saying that in my opinion there's nothing wrong with that if that's what you decide to do.

I agree. If it ain't fun, there's no sense in doing it IMO. When you get to anal about it, then it stops being fun.

Christmas is bulkin' time anyway.

jAy_Dub
05-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Simple solution would be bringing your meals along with you to the beach or whatever it is you're doing.

I was doing great until this summer as well. Friends and girlfriend are always tempting me with eating crap I'm not suppose to.

Unholy
05-26-2008, 09:56 AM
My diet improves my life too. Stop being so anal about it.

dynamo
05-26-2008, 11:23 AM
im not too anal about it but what I do notice is normal people get pissed off at the amount i eat. I make an effort to eat less when around these normal people and stuff my face while they watch tv or jerk off or whatever and when in public i just load up before and after i go out.

bjohnso
05-26-2008, 11:51 AM
im not too anal about it but what I do notice is normal people get pissed off at the amount i eat. I make an effort to eat less when around these normal people and stuff my face while they watch tv or jerk off or whatever and when in public i just load up before and after i go out.

Ask them if they want some. When they say no, tell them to STFU.

philly08
05-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Does anyone else feel there diet interferes with there life?

I definitely feel you here. Dieting is easy when I'm at home on break or at work all day and I can plan my meals, but when I'm going out at night or on vacation, I feel like I'm screwing myself up. I went away for Memorial Day and the first thing I thought was dang, I have to eat like crap all weekend. I decided I needed to lighten up a little, and just bought some RTD shakes and tried to do the best with what I was given.

But yeah, sometimes I feel like trying to stay strict messes up my life. My girlfriend has finally accepted the fact that I need to eat a lot and I don't blame her for getting annoyed sometimes when I have to stop what I'm doing to eat. I've just realized that you have to keep your "cheating" in moderation. I've stopped killing myself about missing a meal once in a while or eating food that's not exactly high quality if I can't help it, just don't let it become a habit. If you always have your goal in the front of your mind, you won't ever get too far off track. I agree with you that lifting/eating shouldn't come before certain other things in your life, and I don't think it needs to to have success. Just don't get down on yourself and say you can't stick with it; if you have a little slip up here and there, just move on and pick up where you left off.

Hope this helps. I'm glad to know other people feel the same way as I do. :)

RhodeHouse
05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
It's called sacrifice. If you want to reach a certain goal, you need to give things up. In this day and age, everybody wants the end result without doing the work. Well, it doesn't work that way. If you want something bad enough, you'll fight to get it. And, that means giving up some creature comforts. Such is life, my friend.

WBBIRL
05-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Rhodes is right, stop being a pussy and do what you need to do.

Eating is not a social event. Eating just because your friends are around is a piss poor reason to eat. Do lions chase down an extra zebra because their buddies are over?

Ask yourself what your willing to change to get what you want, and if you won't make the changes necessary then give up on the goal.

It was hard at first for me, but I can sit infront of the foods that I loved the most before and not be tempted to take a bite. Because the next time I go to the beach, I'm going to be walking around at about 225 pounds and looking wicked compared to most of the fatasses waddling up and down board walk and being damn proud that I had the discipline to do what was necessary. It's a first step of many. Chances are if you can't make a health goal and meet it that your life is full of you failing and then trying to justify it.

Will we all look like Arnold or Ronnie? No almost all of us out there won't. Could we look 10 times better then we do? You bet your ass.

VikingWarlord
05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
You don't need to be so strict with what you're doing. What you're talking about is a presentation of classic obsessive as well as addictive behavior, not "striving for perfection". Getting all your calories in 4 slightly larger meals every 4 hours isn't going to make a noticeable difference over doing 6 smaller meals every 2 hours one or two days a week, and if you think it will then you have a LOT of learning left to do. If you're so concerned about having to eat RIGHT NOW GOD DAMMIT then you should consider buying a ****ing cooler, packing your food, and taking it with you. You're making stupid pathetic excuses for not being able to enjoy yourself.

Here's how things will play out for you. Eventually, your friends will stop asking you to do things. Not only are you essentially a buzzkill, but if you keep saying "no" long enough, they'll just stop trying. Your obsessive need to adhere to your ridiculously strict schedule is going to prevent you from being able to, or even having opportunities to, enjoy ANYTHING. Dieting and training should never make that big an impact on your social life, ESPECIALLY if you're not even planning to compete, but it's your decision in the end. If you choose to do this in the manner you seem to have picked, you don't get to complain.

You only get one life, junior. I suggest you live it.

BFGUITAR
05-30-2008, 04:02 PM
My grandma made me a cake for my bday today... and I'm carb cycling so I can't have it :( I will have a piece of course, not a large one!
Tomorrow is workout day so I'll tell her I'll eat it the next day. What's a better pre-workout food than nice sugary cake! She loves feeding me, I think she'll trust me on this one lol.

It's been a few days since I started watching my diet more and I can already feel it. I loved being able to eat anything haha.

SpecialK
05-30-2008, 08:26 PM
I used to think like you do. I would be hesitant to go out with friends because I would not be able to eat for several hours, and/or I would end up eating things that did not fit into my diet. Usually I just went anyway, but felt guilty about it the whole time. Sometimes I would just not go.

After awhile, I realized that eating 5 meals per day instead of 6, or eating 1000 calories in 1 meal instead of 500 calories in 2 meals doesn't reallly make a difference in the long run. Just knowing that made it much easier to go out at night. I would just eat something right before I left, and then eat whatever I needed to fit my requirements for the day when I got back.

I think people sometimes obsess over minor details that don't really have much, if any, impact on their results in the long run. Maybe exact meal timing and calorie breakdowns matter for a pro bodybuilder, but I don't think the average lifter is going to see much benefit from obsessing over those minor details.

On the other hand, I still have difficulty on vacations and any trip lasting more than a day. I know I can't eat like crap every day, so I try to bring my own food to fill in as many meals as possible.

Jordanbcool
05-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Just relax a little bit.

I'm dieting right now so I'm very strict with my diet. I still go out with friends when I can. I just either order something that I'm allowed to eat on the diet (two plain chicken breast with salt/pepper and some cheese) or I just order a diet coke or something and hang out with my friends or I'll save a free meal for the weekends. Your diet doesn't have to be that strict but you shouldn't go crazy.