PDA

View Full Version : high rep board presses

manofsteel99
05-26-2008, 10:46 AM
im making a new program where i do heavy (low reps) upper body on monday and dynamic effort(12-15 reps0 on thursday because my body does not respond well to low rep upperbody training twice a week.
i didnt want to put board presses in on monday because im already benching, and it doesnt seem right to put it in on thursday because board presses are meant for low rep training.
advice would be appretiated.

Reko
05-26-2008, 10:56 AM
You can put it on monday. nothing wrong with two heavy lifts on the same day.

manofsteel99
05-26-2008, 11:06 AM
alright thanks i was under the impression that board presses should be the main focus of your workout for that day.

Travis Bell
05-26-2008, 01:18 PM
sometimes I'll do 2 or occasionally 3 ME exercises on max effort day

Hazerboy
05-26-2008, 02:36 PM
sometimes I'll do 2 or occasionally 3 ME exercises on max effort day

Wow! Is that common at westside? Would you say that that is just an advanced lifter's thing? Or is this just something you've taylored for yourself?

Travis Bell
05-26-2008, 04:29 PM
just depends really. But whomever I'm lifting with on that day does usually do the other ME exercises with me. When we're in the shirt though its just one. Closer we get to a meet the more I dial it back though. I'm all about dropping the hammer on ME day. Beat the piss out of my body and CNS and leave the recovery for the rest of the week

manofsteel99
05-26-2008, 05:35 PM
on your max effort day do you work up to a max set of 5?

Travis Bell
05-26-2008, 07:57 PM
work up to a max single

my last couple of workouts though I have done some heavy sets for reps for no other reason than because I can haha so don't use that as your template. Our ME work is done to singles

kingkong51
05-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Same here ME work is always heavy singles

thewicked
05-26-2008, 10:00 PM
I tend to split it up.. I'll do one heavy pressing movement then go to a higher rep but decently heavy accessory movement after. And on DE day go from doing lighter DE work right into some heavy board or pin work. Seemed to be paying dividends when I was working it that way.

I'll usually do inclines or close grip bench presses for accessory work after an ME exercise for 3-4 sets unless the ME exercise was an incline in which case I'd go close grip bench after. I just rotate them out. I always do board or pin work after DE benching just because it gives me another opportunity to lift heavy without over doing it.

I know people that do floor presses for accessory movements as well but i'm still debating on wether or not floor presses are that helpful to me yet.. play aroudn with your combos and find what works best for you. If you feel you want to give something a go.. go for it! if you see yoru results slow down or stop all together.. reevaluate.

thewicked
05-26-2008, 10:01 PM
on your max effort day do you work up to a max set of 5?

if you want to spice it up you can do max effort days of a rep max.. like a rep max of 3 or 5 and where you bomb you bomb.. but most of the time you want to go for a max single.

Eric Downey
05-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Change your grip on you presses from on to thurs. Close mid wide. Work all three. Just b/c it heavy singles doesnt mean you have to do your reg. bench grip every week.