PDA

View Full Version : How to get enough protein

MattBag
05-26-2008, 02:28 PM
ok guys so I'm around 230 pounds I drink somewhere around115 grams of protien from shakes with milk in a day. and I'm always eating as much protien as i can throughout the day weather its tuna orany other fish, chicken, beef, eggs veggies, you know the high protein stuff. And I find that there is no way that I could even be able to come close to 345 granms of protien in a day to eat 1.5g per pound. thats rediculous. Not only is that alot of food but thats alot of calories. I've been bulking for a little while now and as soon as I get my RESULTS in the mail I want to start cutting right away. But if I have to take in that much protien to keep my muscle mass then there is no way i'm gonna be able to eat anyting under matainence and still get enough protein any advice?

yankeekd25
05-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Go to a place like Sam's Club or Cosco or whatever you have by you, and by tons and tons of chicken in bulk. Someone suggested to me that I find a wholesale butcher to buy meats in bulk relatively cheap as well. Are you tracking everything you eat too on fitday?

MattBag
05-26-2008, 03:33 PM
No I'm not trackin everything, cause I keep it all in my head. Its gonna be tough to see me lose some of the mass i just put on. does anybody ever cut and bulk in short term stages like maybe bulk for a month then cut then bulk then cut just to try and maintain strength and weight or is that just to stupid to do.

bjohnso
05-26-2008, 03:50 PM
You're probably getting protein from all the little stuff you eat too - bread, cheese, pasta, whatever. All that little stuff adds up to more than you think. 1.5g/lb of bodyweight is totally unnecessary IMO.

CrazyK
05-26-2008, 03:55 PM
You're probably getting protein from all the little stuff you eat too - bread, cheese, pasta, whatever. All that little stuff adds up to more than you think. 1.5g/lb of bodyweight is totally unnecessary IMO.Agreed. 1 g/lb of bodyweight is plenty. Only time to go over that is if using quite a bit of gear.

mikey4402
05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
thank god for protien shakes haha.

more then half of my protien comes from shakes

MattBag
05-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Yea well I'm gonan be cutting back on protein a little bit by taking milk out of my mid afternoon protein I'm gonna be mixing my shakes with water. its gonna suck. alot. I also heard from a dude at the vitamine shop that your body cant really digest much more than 50g of protein in one sitting so if you take around 48 g without milk it should be the same. but as far as food goes i just learned that my "cheese ham and bacon omletts" 3-4 times a week have some of the worst protein sources in them. Shame on me... and the worst thing I've been doing is thinking that ground beef burgers had good protein in them. from now on my protien is coming from chicken or fish.

Lones Green
05-27-2008, 03:59 AM
Yea well I'm gonan be cutting back on protein a little bit by taking milk out of my mid afternoon protein I'm gonna be mixing my shakes with water. its gonna suck. alot. I also heard from a dude at the vitamine shop that your body cant really digest much more than 50g of protein in one sitting so if you take around 48 g without milk it should be the same. but as far as food goes i just learned that my "cheese ham and bacon omletts" 3-4 times a week have some of the worst protein sources in them. Shame on me... and the worst thing I've been doing is thinking that ground beef burgers had good protein in them. from now on my protien is coming from chicken or fish.

beef have great protein and great calories in them.

as my friend Rhodes says, look at the neck of a chicken and look at the neck of a bull. eat more beef.

cphafner
05-27-2008, 05:07 AM
it's really not hard to get in protein.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

Protein

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut, sushi, mahi mahi, Orange roughi, tilapia, Sardines)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder (Whey, Casein, Soy, Egg)
Eggs
Low or Non-Fat Cottage cheese, Ricotta
Low fat or Non fat Yogurt
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (stew meat, London broil, Stir fry)
Top Sirloin (Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (filet mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Stir Fry, Fajitas)
Eye of Round (Cube meat, Stew meat, Bottom Round)
Ground Turkey, Turkey Breast slices or cutlets (*no deli or sandwich meats)

bjohnso
05-27-2008, 05:40 AM
I also heard from a dude at the vitamine shop that your body cant really digest much more than 50g of protein in one sitting so if you take around 48 g without milk it should be the same. but as far as food goes i just learned that my "cheese ham and bacon omletts" 3-4 times a week have some of the worst protein sources in them. Shame on me... and the worst thing I've been doing is thinking that ground beef burgers had good protein in them. from now on my protien is coming from chicken or fish.

Wut? Pretty sure this is bunk.

powerrack
05-27-2008, 09:48 AM

Beef is a great source of protein for growth! Just make sure your using lean cuts and you'll be fine.

Try some cottage cheese in your diet too.

JSully
05-27-2008, 11:03 AM
I find it difficult to ONLY get 230-250g protein per day.. I sometimes go way over..

MattBag
05-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention to how much protien i eat. I count my cals really well but with protein i start slackin a little after a bit. Any way yea i know beef is great and I love it too especially steak its great but its the processed ground beef that they use to make burgers like the ones at mcdonalds thats ****ty for you.