PDA

View Full Version : Always use belt for heavy sets?

BFGUITAR
05-26-2008, 04:31 PM
I bumped my squat up to 260 as a working set. I could do 3-4 easy with a belt but with out I dont feel as sturdy whatsoever.

My question is, if I ever go heavy with squats should I always use a belt? I plan on competing so using a belt would be important. But what I am worried is that I may depend on the belt to squat heavy. Should I use the belt more often and also do some lower back work?

EDIT: I just wanted to say that I have never gone this heavy for more than one rep

MNRob
05-26-2008, 05:57 PM
I always train without a belt making my core and such "stronger" as I go. Never really felt uneasy under or over any weight without one. That all being said, I don't plan on competing, save one competition in Sept.

deeder
05-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Obviously you can't do as much weight without a belt but other than that there's no limit where you absolutely need to wear a belt. I only have my belt on every 10 days right now and that's for knee wrap work. My raw squat sessions are without a belt until about 4 weeks out of competition.

Reko
05-26-2008, 08:05 PM
i wear mine for all heavy sessions, putting it on around 75% or so of my max. i think its pretty individual as to how often you want to use it.

Indifference
05-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Totally individual dependant.

I used to rely on that thing for all my heavy squatting and was scared to death if I tried squatting over 275 with it. Now 355 without it is cake. Id suggest doing lots of heavy core/back stuff! I enjoy not having to rely on it.

Blackhawk08
05-26-2008, 09:17 PM
I only use one for heavy deads.

RhodeHouse
05-26-2008, 09:37 PM
My training partner puts his belt on at 135. He squatted 1003 and 1008. He was coached and told to never do ab work. Just because you have the belt on doesn't mean you'll be weak. If your goal is to squat more weight, put the belt on and stop listening to people that can't squat anything. If you feel you need ab work, do it. Don't sacrifice weight in the squat to train without a belt.

thewicked
05-26-2008, 09:54 PM
i do both.. i train without a belt more and more and only use it when I feel like I'm going to be pushing the limit. Training with a belt ALL THE TIME will weaken your core and you'll have to rely on the belt more and more.. plus it ends up being a mental handicap if ever you FORGET your belt the day you lift. When maxing.. hell yes wear the belt.. in other work I wouldn't say wear it that much.

..and what's with this new trend of wearing a belt during every exercise i'm seeing lately? Since when do lateral raises require a belt?!

BFGUITAR
05-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Interesting.

I personally feel fine without a belt for deads, but for squats they seem very very useful.
Even with the belt on loosely it helps keep me stable, I may just use it more often and do some lower back/ab work as well.

David_HoffWSBB
05-27-2008, 06:46 AM
you absolutly need to do core work its imparritive to your squat and deadlift, its so important to me i have a day set aside just to do core work.

thewicked
05-27-2008, 09:37 AM
you absolutly need to do core work its imparritive to your squat and deadlift, its so important to me i have a day set aside just to do core work.

QFT!

core is everything.. the more stable your core the easier it is to handle heavier ****.. and we all know the easier it is to handle heavy **** the easier it will be to move it!

RhodeHouse
05-27-2008, 10:09 AM
i do both.. i train without a belt more and more and only use it when I feel like I'm going to be pushing the limit. Training with a belt ALL THE TIME will weaken your core and you'll have to rely on the belt more and more.. plus it ends up being a mental handicap if ever you FORGET your belt the day you lift. When maxing.. hell yes wear the belt.. in other work I wouldn't say wear it that much.

..and what's with this new trend of wearing a belt during every exercise i'm seeing lately? Since when do lateral raises require a belt?!

Wearing a belt WILL NOT weaken your abs/low back. By making that statement, you're effectively saying that the belt takes the place of the abs and low back and that they DO NOT work while the belt is on. That, is absolutely wrong.

Some say it is good to get some training in without a belt, which I agree with, but to say that your abs will get weaker if you wear a belt is ridiculous.

ZenMonkey
05-30-2008, 09:26 PM

I have to say that today at the gym I saw a guy walking in with a belt going towards the squat rack. I thought to myself 'I won't be the only person squatting today, nice.' As he neared the rack he made a left turn to the hack squat machine, or standing leg press. He continues on to tighten his belt and do 2 inch ROM presses. I laughed and thought about this thread.

SGT ROCK
05-31-2008, 07:09 AM
I learned alot about this from my friend Eddy Coan. I feel you should go beltless until you get heavy, meaning heavy for YOU. I like to do block pulls minus the belt, once I feel I need to get heavy I add it for the heavy sets only. Same with the squats. Remember, wearing a belt is like anything else, it will help you, but you must practice in it.

Semper Fi

BFGUITAR
05-31-2008, 03:15 PM
I only use the belt when I go heavy for myself. So today I did 260x4 for 3 sets I went like

Barx12
95x8
135x5
185x3
225x1
BELT
260x4 for 3

EDIT: SGT what exactly is a block pull?

Reko
05-31-2008, 05:47 PM
The lift that I call block pulls are basically higher dead lifts (the weights sit on some wood blocks to raise it up). Similar to a rack pull, but different enough to call if something else.

He could also be standing on blocks to make the bar lower. I guess it depends on what you want to call the exercise.

I don't know which one he is talking about but those are the two exercises that come to my mind as to what they could be.

SGT ROCK
05-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Block pulls are with YOU standing on the BLOCK, thats what I was referring to in that instance.

Semper Fi

HP666
05-31-2008, 07:53 PM
I agree that core work is a must to improve your squat and deadlift. As far as the belt goes, I warm up without it but as soon I get up to 315 I put it on, even though I could keep lifting without it. For me personally, as someone who is still fairly new to squatting heavy, I like wearing the belt for technique purposes; filling with air and pushing out against the belt with my belly when I'm squatting.

biglift
06-01-2008, 02:27 PM
should you still work on your core even if your a heavy guy?

RhodeHouse
06-01-2008, 08:46 PM
should you still work on your core even if your a heavy guy?

You know the answer.

Ben Moore
06-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Being heavy and core strength do not coincide. You should still work the core.

motoko013
06-02-2008, 05:21 AM
exactly how much core work do you guys usually do? is this like 3 sets of weighted situps, or much more?

Fuzzy
06-02-2008, 05:57 AM
I do alot of core work and never wear a belt.

Weigthed ab bridge, 45seconds x 5
BW crunches with feet up
Lying leg raises
Sit ups
Other crap.

strongkid963
06-02-2008, 06:48 AM
I use belt more when I am skinnier but now that i am fatter i find i'll put it on for 405 insted od 315.(deadlifts)