PDA

View Full Version : weird strength differences

TJM
05-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I know a guy who can deadlift 600 raw but can barely squat 405 raw. I know another guy who can squat around 600 raw but can only deadlift 500 raw. The one who deadlifts more trains using deadlift more and the one who squats more trains using squat more. To me it seems the one who deads 600 should be able to squat at least 550 and the one who sqauts 600 should be able to deadlift 600+ but they can't. Could this be due to the body being "used" to doing one movement more and less to do with actual strength? I'm sure you know people like this... it just seems weird to me.

Reko
05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
probably leverages. Ive seen short stocky guys squat tons but since they are the short round types they have short arms to boot and therefore have trouble dead lifting.

Addison K.
05-26-2008, 08:03 PM
The difference is dependent on both biomechanics (i.e., if the lifter is better suited for squat or deadlift) and training program.

IHN,

AK

chris mason
05-26-2008, 08:44 PM
There are a lot of things that come into play. Relative strengths, leverages, form, and so on.

thewicked
05-26-2008, 10:04 PM
There are a lot of things that come into play. Relative strengths, leverages, form, and so on.

yep..

i'm knocking on the door of 700 on my deads but can't squat low 600's to save my life CONSISTANTLY.

mental games and training come into play on that.. it all depends on what you're made to do, what you train to do.. and what you WANT to do.

if you want to bring that squat up just prioritize but if it's not something you really enjoy it's going to lag no matter what you do.

Szust
05-27-2008, 04:55 PM
My squat is hovering somewhere around 320/330, but I started deads this last week and I'm repping that much 5 times. Depends on the person, i.e. my back/hams/glutes are much stronger than my quads.

PriestCometh
05-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Lots of variables?

I know what your talkin about. I work the hardest on my dead and
that is the event I suck at.