PDA

View Full Version : Yogurt question....

orscrubs
05-27-2008, 12:40 PM
As a snack I eat lowfat yogurt about twice a day. I'm concerned about the ingredients though because it has High Fructose Corn Syrup, which I've read is bad for you. Each conatiner of yogurt is 4oz. and has 19g of Sugar, 1g of Fat, 23g of Carbs......do you think I should delete this yogurt from my diet? If so, what type of yogurt, if any, would be better to consume as a sanck if I'm looking to shed boday fat?

Unreal
05-27-2008, 01:14 PM
I would go with a lower carb yogurt like Dannon Light and Fit. I use Krogers Carbmasters which has 3g of carbs, and 12g of protein per yogurt and only 80 calories.

Torrok
05-27-2008, 02:21 PM
get yogurt from Crete in greece, or close as possible if your so worried.
but yeah yogurt is perfectly fine, the bacteria in it replinishes your intestines and the sugar is mostly galactose(im pretty sure)

tcain1983
05-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Eat Chobani, Oikos or Fage yogurt. All are extremely high in protein ( i think the lowest one is 13 g per cup, with only 6 grams of sugar per cup.) Of course, I'm talking fat free plain yogurt. They're really creamy and perfect with fresh fruit and a little go lean honey almond crunch on top for extra fiber.

RedSpikeyThing
05-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Most commercial yogurt is glorified candy. Look at the nutritional information on plain full-fat yogurt and compare it to the stuff you're eating....then you be the judge.
According to fitday for plain yogurt:
Calories 150
Fat 8 g
Carb 11 g
Protein 9 g

manowar669
05-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Make your own! It's easy and tastes wayyyy better than anything you'll buy.
You need a candy thermometer (Walmart sells them for a few bucks, good for meats too), a "starter" yogurt with active cultures, at least a tablespoon (I just use a 4oz Activia).
Get some milk (I use 1% or 2%, nonfat is a little thin for yogurt).
Put the milk in a clean tupperware that will fit in your microwave (I make 1/2 gallon at a time).
Heat for about 10 minutes (1/2 gallon), check temp. When the temp is above 100F, stop heating. Let it cool until it's around 100f or so (higher than 120-140 will probably kill your starter). Whisk in your starter (Activia). Cover, and put it in a warm place for 8-12 hours (the longer it ferments, the less carbs it will have). I stick it in the oven with the just the light on. Refrigerate for a few hours before eating. Best yogurt you will ever have.. You can sweeten it if you want to, but you probably won't if you taste it. I sometimes add blueberries or drizzle a little honey.
Nutrition profile (unsweetened) very close to Fage yogurt mentioned higher up in the thread.