PDA

View Full Version : How much protein can the body utilize?

T FLEX
05-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I tried doing a search but couldn't find the answer i'm looking for.

I have heard in the past that the body can only use up or "process" so many grams of protein at once. The other day I heard the comment made that it's a waste to consume more than 20g in one setting because anything over that just gets eliminated. I'm sure there is validity in that to an extent but I'm having a hard time believing 20g is the limit. If I stick to the minimum of 1g of protein per lb rule and I'm eating 6 times a day every two or three hours that's only 120g of protein a day. I'm 150+ lbs so how would that figure? I would always be short.

What's the consensus on this thought?

dogsoldier
05-27-2008, 08:09 PM
I read that the body can only assimilate 50 grams at one sitting. This came from one of the nutrition articles at T-Nation...I think.

FireRescue
05-28-2008, 06:05 AM
Some of the research I have seen suggest the average person can process 15-20 grams of protein/hour.

Slim Schaedle
05-28-2008, 12:26 PM
None of that is true.

Stray
05-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Another myth kept alive by misinformation.

Notorious
05-28-2008, 01:26 PM
None of that is true.

Actually I read somewhere that the body can process 48554355749386g per hour.

Chickenlegs
05-28-2008, 05:49 PM
None of that is true.

Is there an answer?

nhlfan
05-28-2008, 07:16 PM
I'd assume your testosterone levels and the body's demand for protein (based on growth and repairs needed) would determine the amount required.

RhodeHouse
05-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Don't worry about it. Just make sure you're getting your bodyweight in grams per day and you'll be fine. One less thing you need to worry about, now.

WillKuenzel
05-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Is there an answer?Not definitely, no. There's way too many variables to even give a ballpark answer.

T FLEX
05-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Alright, so it sounds like there is no magic number. I was having a hard time understanding that theory anyway. I won't over think it then. I will just stick with what I've been doing. Basically making sure I get my overall magic number in everyday. Thanks :thumbup:

SpecialK
05-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Actually I read somewhere that the body can process 48554355749386g per hour.

No, that's the number of times this question has been asked on this forum.

Holto
05-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Is there an answer?

The answer is quite simple.

Anything that is not utilized as amino's for various biological processes is made available as ENERGY. If this energy is not used, it is stored.

Slim Schaedle
05-29-2008, 01:18 PM
The answer is quite simple.

Anything that is not utilized as amino's for various biological processes is made available as ENERGY. If this energy is not used, it is stored.

You back from the dead bro?

HP666
05-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Is there an answer?

Hey Chickenlegs,

Do you have a bigger picture of the girl in your avatar??? If you do could you email it to me?? And if that's you in the picture, well then God bless you!!!!!!!:omg:

gatzke
05-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I find it hard to beleive any advice I'm given on what works best - someone else will just come along later and say "no no, not true.. do this"..
So who's right? There needs to be an organization of scientists who do the fieldwork and publish the results (preferrably scientists who aren't sponsored by protein manufacturers).

WBBIRL
05-29-2008, 10:21 PM
It's simple folks, even if your body doesn't absorb every gram you eat doesn't mean it's all for nothing.

Eat between 1 and 1.5 grams per pound and you'll be fine. Spread out through 4 meals a day puts most people eating about 50-60 grams anyhow and your body can deal with that. Even if you don't absorb it all right away, it's not going to leave your stomach in an hour anyhow.

JSully
05-30-2008, 12:17 AM
I find it hard to beleive any advice I'm given on what works best - someone else will just come along later and say "no no, not true.. do this"..
So who's right? There needs to be an organization of scientists who do the fieldwork and publish the results (preferrably scientists who aren't sponsored by protein manufacturers).

Figure it out for yourself..

I'm involved in intermittent fasting on my low calorie days. I have 250+g of protein in a matter of 3hours..

Slim Schaedle
05-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Ahhhh, IF.

I.F. means you get to eat stuff like this, and it only takes about 10 minutes to shove down....

In one meal last night...
Ground lamb
Goetta
Mettwurst, jalepeno cheese filled
Natural peanut butter
sour cream/avocado/jalepeno mustard mix
16oz milk
5 scoops whey

3156 cals
173 fat
94 carbs
308 pro

Holto
05-30-2008, 11:27 AM
You back from the dead bro?

I'm around...

knicksfan20
06-01-2008, 09:26 PM
From what i was told...the max you can break down at once is 40 grams

Auburn
06-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Read this:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=2705

Cherrywaves
06-04-2008, 03:27 PM
So if your body can only take a certain amount of protiens in one sitting, what about carbs, fat..etc? Can i eat like 300 grams of fat in one sitting and my body will only absorbed a limited amount?

Stray
06-04-2008, 03:54 PM
I usually digest 30-35 grams in a sitting but if I strain really hard I can digest up to 40 grams.

...sometimes 45 grams if I'm wearing my "Over the Top" cap on backwards.

kevowamo
06-05-2008, 07:16 AM
over the top...priceless

pbal17
06-05-2008, 10:35 PM
the 1g per lb of bodyweight rule is wrong. the highest NECESSARY for any athlete who is really working themselves is 1.7g per KILOGRAM of bodyweight, not pound.
excess protein is NOT used as energy, proteins most minor function is to be used for energy. it is more likely stored as fat and then used as energy. obviously im not saying it is fat, only that the storage form used is that of fat.
to eat 308g/protein in a sitting is stupid.

Slim Schaedle
06-06-2008, 02:38 AM
to eat 308g/protein in a sitting is stupid.

oooooooooooo, them be fighten words, brotha.

haha

In any case, your post makes me laugh.

As does your seemingly apparent rudimentary knowledge of nutrition, metabolism and physiology.....especially as it is obscurely implied that you know what is, and is not, best for me.

:)

pbal17
06-06-2008, 11:24 AM
maybe i dont know what is best for you.
for everyone else, 308g a sitting is too much.

its different if you are on the game though, but for people who arent, theres no one anywhere that can possibly recommend that.

JSully
06-06-2008, 12:19 PM

its different if you are on the game though, but for people who arent, theres no one anywhere that can possibly recommend that.

that's his sole meal for the day... what's the difference between consuming 308g between 6 sittings vs 308g in one sitting?

When in FACT, that single sitting is going to be BETTER utilize the protein as the fasting has thus increased insulin sensitivity in skeletal muscle..

Slim Schaedle
06-06-2008, 01:00 PM

I respectfully agree with Jake on this one.

And through studying protein metabolism in depth in school, I know he's right.

Btw my post above was more jokingly sarcasm and not meant as derogatory. I received an infraction for it because I was apparently rude towards you.

Holto
06-06-2008, 01:14 PM
excess protein is NOT used as energy

The most important thing to note for the guys here that are new to nutrition science is that it's made available to the body. It will never pass through un-utilized.

JSully
06-06-2008, 01:36 PM
The most important thing to note for the guys here that are new to nutrition science is that it's made available to the body. It will never pass through un-utilized.

Furthermore, protein is never used as energy except in a caloric deficit. It is a building block to repair your body. Only when glucose is restricted does protein get sent to the liver to be broken down and converted to glucose.

pbal17
06-06-2008, 02:12 PM
slim, i didnt take it as anything other than a response to what i said, so no hard feelings. the big thing about nutrition and exercise science is that there is no solid single correct answer, its the reason why people are so interested in it. more often everything works compared to most sciences where only one thing is true.

littlejake, the body can not take in 308g/protein that fast. it will just go through the body, not be picked up and then excreted.
but you are right that the body only rarely uses protein for energy

Slim Schaedle
06-06-2008, 02:17 PM
littlejake, the body can not take in 308g/protein that fast. it will just go through the body, not be picked up and then excreted.

This part is not true.

Consuming large quantities in meat simply means that everything will take much, much longer to digest. There is much, much more detailed biochemistry to this, but we can limit it simply to digestion for now.

Like an amino acid trickle effect, if you will.

And since that meal was right before bed...it fit well.

Btw, send a message to Daniel Clough about what you said about not taking offense to my post.

JSully
06-06-2008, 02:41 PM
but you are right that the body only rarely uses protein for energy

Why can't it?

I can consume 1500+ grams of carbohydrate in 15hours and damn near all of it gets 'picked up'. If the body is in a fasted state, it is ready to latch onto everything you give it. With increased skeletal muscle insulin sensitivity, protein is pushed into the muscles for repair. Such is the effects of intermittent fasting. A fantastic nutrient partitioning affect.

With LBM over 200lbs LBM I'm sure Slim is using a large amount of what he is taking in. To date, there is no way to ACTUALLY confirm whether all of this is getting put to use or not. I've followed his journal and he's definately making progress, so I wouldn't question his protein intake.

Slim Schaedle
06-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Two days ago it was 500 grams

(not completely in one meal)

JSully
06-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Two days ago it was 500 grams

(not completely in one meal)

now you're getting excessive... *******..

haha

Slim Schaedle
06-06-2008, 03:17 PM
now you're getting excessive... *******..

haha

haha, true.

But with carbs around 100, and fat about 150g, something has to fill the calories to get up to maintenance.

Total: 3912
Fat: 145
Carbs: 127
Protein: 512

Although, I am thinking my maintenance is more likely around 4,500 now.

JSully
06-06-2008, 03:33 PM
**** off.. 4500kcal maintenance?

I would makeup the difference with unsaturated fats.. but that's what gets disgusting..

250g fat
125g carb +
440g prot +
4510kcals =

With carbs under 150g you'll still be able to utilize the fat as energy. But you aren't going to burn any fat off, ketogenesis will be happy with just your dietary fat. lol..

I wouldn't do that for too long either, going to refeed carbs every 4-5 days right?

skydeaner
06-06-2008, 04:04 PM
my maint cals are like 2300 lol, i am such a fat holding bastard.

markdk86
06-06-2008, 04:56 PM

I would makeup the difference with unsaturated fats.. but that's what gets disgusting..

250g fat
125g carb +
440g prot +
4510kcals =

With carbs under 150g you'll still be able to utilize the fat as energy. But you aren't going to burn any fat off, ketogenesis will be happy with just your dietary fat. lol..

I wouldn't do that for too long either, going to refeed carbs every 4-5 days right?

From my understanding, if the carbs were lowered, doesn't the body utilize your fat intake AND your stored fat in a ketogenic state?

JSully
06-06-2008, 05:21 PM
From my understanding, if the carbs were lowered, doesn't the body utilize your fat intake AND your stored fat in a ketogenic state?

Yes, but I believe dietary fat is utilized as a priority...

I'm not positive though.

ryuage
06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
i have calculated that my body can utilize exactly 167.7 grams of protein per 24 hour period.

markdk86
06-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Yes, but I believe dietary fat is utilized as a priority...

I'm not positive though.

It's been a while since I have read it, but I believe the dietary fat helps free the FFA's in your body to be metabolized into ketone bodies. I know there IS a reason for such high fat on ketogenic diets.

Slim Schaedle
06-06-2008, 08:08 PM

250g fat
125g carb +
440g prot +
4510kcals =

Since I just started going high on the fat, I am going to keep it around 150 for a bit and see how things work out. I'll be going back to UD2 cut in a few weeks, so this is a nice test.

Refeeds are still scheduled to begin Thursday nights and conclude on Saturdays.

I just pounded 4 servings of Larosas's (for those in Cincy:)) breadsticks a few hours ago.

This came out to:

4212 cals
62 fat
782 carbs
146 pro

....took about 15 minutes to eat :)

MillerTime1485
06-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Personally if i eat to much protein in one sitting or throughout the day I have to go out of my way and drink 3 cups of metamucil or i'll be bunged up for a day or two. Could be because im lactose intolerant and the whey is hard for me to digest.

motoko013
06-06-2008, 11:26 PM
slim, could you actually go over the biochem of protein metabolism. let's say you do consume "excess" protein, would the "excess" digested a.a. just get transaminated/deaminated and only the NH3 group excreted (urea cycle) and the resulting a-keto acid would be used for energy?

Holto
06-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Furthermore, protein is never used as energy except in a caloric deficit. It is a building block to repair your body. Only when glucose is restricted does protein get sent to the liver to be broken down and converted to glucose.

You're missing a few key points here.

The carbon skeletons of Amino acids can be used as fuel after de-amination [keytones]. IIRC Amino acids can also be used to produce ATP directly.

Please anybody correct me on that last one if necessary.

I've read many times that the body is so incredibly complex it's running on all three macros at all times.

motoko013
06-10-2008, 02:23 PM
You're missing a few key points here.

The carbon skeletons of Amino acids can be used as fuel after de-amination [keytones]. IIRC Amino acids can also be used to produce ATP directly.

Please anybody correct me on that last one if necessary.

I've read many times that the body is so incredibly complex it's running on all three macros at all times.

the carbon skeleton of the a.a. can be turned into pyruvate or intermediates of the tca cycles (glucogenic a.a.) and thus produce ATP