IgniteMyRockets
05-28-2008, 06:43 PM
what are they good for?

deeder
05-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Shrinkage?

erikerodri
06-04-2008, 11:42 AM
ice baths are usually used after an intense workout. i used to do them after 2-a-days. they help prevent muscle soreness and help recovery time

AJ Roberts
06-04-2008, 03:51 PM
The ice bath is usually used as a contrast method where you would go from hot to cold so that you force the blood in and out of the muscle. The cold constircts the blood vessels while the heat dilates them. Any swelling/soreness/pain is reduced by doing this.

jed
06-04-2008, 10:11 PM
any tips on getting the balls to be able to sit in one of these babies for the suggested time limit?

Reko
06-04-2008, 10:56 PM
just get in. I've done them a few times and you just gotta do it. For the really hot baths I actually have to cup my junk with my hand and slowly let the heat in.

jed
06-04-2008, 10:57 PM
does this help prevent cramping during practices/games or just soreness?

Reko
06-04-2008, 11:08 PM
cramping is probably more to hydration and salt imbalances more than this does.

jed
06-04-2008, 11:30 PM
okay. i do love me some salt. seriously. i'll probably die by 25 :(

Optimum08
06-05-2008, 11:11 AM
ice baths are great for recovery purposes, at least for me, i noticed a significantly less amount of fatigue in my legs when i took an ice bath post-workout as opposed to when i didn't (during 2-a-days)

as for getting in, thats definitely the worst part, but just gotta drop in and man up.

shootermcgavin7
06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
does this help prevent cramping during practices/games or just soreness?

Anyone who is in the medical field, feel free to correct me. I am about to completely butcher terminology.

Ice, in a nutshell, helps soreness. Ice reduces bloodflow to the affected area (in this case, the entire body). This inhibits swelling.

Pitching coaches in baseball have known this for decades. the ice treatment to the shoulder has been used at least since the 1920s.

There are conflicting studies on the use of ice baths reducing DOMS....some say it does, others say it doesn't.

Isaac Wilkins
06-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Most of the posters here are correct.

AJ hit it on the head as far as vasoconstriction/dialation. After hard activity there will be a lot of inflammation in the muscles and joints. The ice baths help minimize this inflammation.

As he indicated, it's usually done in a contrast method where heat and cold is cycled to artificially "pump" blood through the tissue. This promotes healing and reduces inflammation.

They're also used as an emergency heat reduction method, too. That and the recovery benefits are why you see them at football preseason so often, for example.

I like contrast showers for gym goers and most athletes. In your post-workout shower cycle between water as cold as you can stand and as hot as you can stand (don't burn yourself) for about 30 seconds each. Make sure to get the back of your head, neck, and upper back. This has a tonic effect on the CNS.

schmitty199
06-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Most of the posters here are correct.

AJ hit it on the head as far as vasoconstriction/dialation. After hard activity there will be a lot of inflammation in the muscles and joints. The ice baths help minimize this inflammation.

As he indicated, it's usually done in a contrast method where heat and cold is cycled to artificially "pump" blood through the tissue. This promotes healing and reduces inflammation.

They're also used as an emergency heat reduction method, too. That and the recovery benefits are why you see them at football preseason so often, for example.

I like contrast showers for gym goers and most athletes. In your post-workout shower cycle between water as cold as you can stand and as hot as you can stand (don't burn yourself) for about 30 seconds each. Make sure to get the back of your head, neck, and upper back. This has a tonic effect on the CNS.

Weird that this topic came up, because ive actually been trying this lately, and ive noticed a difference from when I do to when I dont. Definetly feel more soreness/fatigue when I just take a normal hot shower...

MillerTime1485
06-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Used to ice bath after pitching a game it worked wonders

tangerine dream
06-11-2008, 11:40 PM
If you are cramping up it means you are dehydrated. Try taking an electrolyte pill about an hour before you play. Be sure to drink a ton throughout the day.

jed
06-12-2008, 12:13 PM
electrolyte pill

do you have any personal experience with these?

vdizenzo
06-12-2008, 12:18 PM
My question is how the hell can anyone fit in a bathtub anyway?

jed
06-12-2008, 12:44 PM
ours is actually smaller than a bathtub but quite tall. you have to sit with your knees up or indian style. but it goes up to your neck. i think. ive only seen it once.

ThomasG
06-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Yea during 2 a days we had the ice-bath going.

backseatwitme13
06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
ice baths are one of the most addicting things in my life. once you take one, theres no going back

Isaac Wilkins
06-13-2008, 06:50 PM
My question is how the hell can anyone fit in a bathtub anyway?

We usually use the horse watering troughs or 55 gallon barrels for the football players. Just dunk the lower body during two-a-days or get in there and crouch.

I know what you mean about bathtubs!

Tyler The Beast
07-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Would taking cold showers have any similiar effects with recovering after workouts and what not?

jbrin0tk
07-24-2008, 10:31 PM

I believe this answers your question.

lineman76
08-09-2008, 11:25 PM
anyone ever have an ammonia bath

lineman76
08-09-2008, 11:25 PM
they are great

wyllie1
08-11-2008, 11:25 PM
I was kinda skeptical of the ice bath but decided to try it because my body was getting beat up from lifting and I was very suprised at the benefits. Definitely a tool I will use in my training.