PDA

View Full Version : Diet Drinks/Soda

Tumbler
05-29-2008, 04:48 PM
In eighth grade (about 4-5 years ago) I started drinking diet soda. I was a little chubby, but not much more than all my other friends. I decided to cut out all sugar soda and started to drink diet soda. As I got used to the taste it started to taste pretty good. Then I realized "Wow this tastes pretty good and has no calories, I can drink as much as I want and not consume a ton of calories".

Well since eighth grade I've still only drank diet soda, even after I reached my weight loss goals (only needed to lose about 10lbs). I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty addicted to the caffeine and I get intense cravings for caffeine. Most of the time when I'm out running errands my first stop is at the Circle K getting a 44oz or 54oz diet soda. When I get up in the morning my body craves some soda. In the last month or so I started to realize this was probably getting out of control. I was putting away anywhere from 90-120oz of Diet soda a day. Insane I know.

I started doing research on the effects aspartame has on the body. And there is a pretty significant amount articles written about how bad artificial sweeteners are for the body. It can mess with your metabolism and liver. A lot of research shows that it will actually make you gain more weight. It can cause more urges for sweet/junk food. It messes with your body by giving you that stimulation of getting food (sweet flavoring) but no calories to go along with it.

I've decided to cut out all artificially sweetened drinks. Cold turkey. For the first week or two I'm only going to drink water nothing else. See how I feel and then start adding a few regular sodas/drinks every once in a while. The amount of Diet Soda I was taking in was disgusting. I'm interested to see if I start to feel any different after a week or so of no aspartame.

How do you guys feel about Diet Soda/Artificial sweeteners?

getfit
05-29-2008, 05:17 PM
crap! drink water and that's about it.

wnt2gitswoll
05-29-2008, 05:56 PM
getfit looks so good.

Szust
05-29-2008, 05:57 PM
getfit looks so good.

I noticed the same exact thing. Yes she does.

Torrok
05-29-2008, 05:58 PM
In eighth grade (about 4-5 years ago) I started drinking diet soda. I was a little chubby, but not much more than all my other friends. I decided to cut out all sugar soda and started to drink diet soda. As I got used to the taste it started to taste pretty good. Then I realized "Wow this tastes pretty good and has no calories, I can drink as much as I want and not consume a ton of calories".

Well since eighth grade I've still only drank diet soda, even after I reached my weight loss goals (only needed to lose about 10lbs). I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty addicted to the caffeine and I get intense cravings for caffeine. Most of the time when I'm out running errands my first stop is at the Circle K getting a 44oz or 54oz diet soda. When I get up in the morning my body craves some soda. In the last month or so I started to realize this was probably getting out of control. I was putting away anywhere from 90-120oz of Diet soda a day. Insane I know.

I started doing research on the effects aspartame has on the body. And there is a pretty significant amount articles written about how bad artificial sweeteners are for the body. It can mess with your metabolism and liver. A lot of research shows that it will actually make you gain more weight. It can cause more urges for sweet/junk food. It messes with your body by giving you that stimulation of getting food (sweet flavoring) but no calories to go along with it.

I've decided to cut out all artificially sweetened drinks. Cold turkey. For the first week or two I'm only going to drink water nothing else. See how I feel and then start adding a few regular sodas/drinks every once in a while. The amount of Diet Soda I was taking in was disgusting. I'm interested to see if I start to feel any different after a week or so of no aspartame.

How do you guys feel about Diet Soda/Artificial sweeteners?

diet soda has sugar...

yeah dont drink that crap, it, like everything else man-invented and artificial, i believe, is the additional rise in diseases and mutations these days. if you need caffeine drink green tea, go buy some natural plain green tea and learn to brew. i add a bit of sugar to it for taste but seriously, drink this stuff.

WBBIRL
05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Diet soda is calorie free, if it weren't the no child left behind people who sue the living existence out of the companies who lie about the nutritional value on the diet soda cans.

Diet soda has never made me hungry, crave sweets or screwed with my metabolism. Drinking it is fine, although I wouldn't drink that much of it. 1-2 cans a day won't hurt anything, but you should be drinking at least half a gallon of water per day if not more.

KingWilder
05-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Drinking too much can actually lead to larger problems

the phosphoric acid in it can essentially leech bone calcium and other minerals from the body...it's been shown to decrease bone density (ie weakened/brittle bones) and even aid in leading to osteoporosis

cphafner
05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Crystal light works for me.

WBBIRL
05-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Crystal light is flipping amazing! I love the peach tea, its the peachiest tea I've ever had. The peach and green tea's are very good.

Tumbler
05-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Well this was my second straight day of drinking just water.

VikingWarlord
05-31-2008, 08:25 PM
I do both Crystal Light and diet sodas. Crystal Light has calories, diet sodas don't officially. Drinking too much is bad, but that's pretty much the same as anything else.

biglift
05-31-2008, 08:35 PM
too much of anything is bad for you

Justin Ryan
05-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Good job on cutting it out. It definetly is hard. I used to drink about a 12pack of pepsi every 2-3 days, horrible caffine headaches/cravings, Did the same as you, now I just drink straight water and milk, and have a soda only once a week for a treat

spongebob819
06-01-2008, 03:57 AM
not good

bdunndchi
06-01-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm addicted to diet soda also. Starting tomorrow I'm going to try and ween myself off of it in favor of more water.

j03
06-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Soda is ****. Milk/Juice/Water are the way to go

Rogue
06-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Soda is never good to drink in large quantities.... Go with something natural like tea, fruit juice, and milk....

Auburn
06-02-2008, 03:57 PM
the phosphoric acid in it can essentially leech bone calcium and other minerals from the body...it's been shown to decrease bone density (ie weakened/brittle bones) and even aid in leading to osteoporosis

Is there any evidence of this other than epidemiological data? Directly looking at Coke intake has shown no increase in calcium excretion.

JSully
06-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Diet soda is calorie free, if it weren't the no child left behind people who sue the living existence out of the companies who lie about the nutritional value on the diet soda cans.

Diet soda has never made me hungry, crave sweets or screwed with my metabolism. Drinking it is fine, although I wouldn't drink that much of it. 1-2 cans a day won't hurt anything, but you should be drinking at least half a gallon of water per day if not more.

I agree..

I drink 2-3 cans/day (on low cal days only) of diet root beer.. its so yummy..

otherwise I just drink Milk and Water

Auburn
06-02-2008, 04:15 PM
See how I feel and then start adding a few regular sodas/drinks every once in a while.

This idea that aspartame is harmful that the hippies have propagated is ridiculous. It has never been shown to be harmful in normal metabolism, unlike excessive amounts of fructose.

thewicked
06-02-2008, 04:22 PM
just start drinking water.. you'd be surprised how short of a time it'll take for you to get to where you want nothing but water and a coke will be ovewhelming to you. I don't drink much coke anymore for that reason..once i started just drinking water it was like night and day.

Optimum08
06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
that much diet soda is not good, but IMO if your only drinking a can or two a day while still getting all the water you need, i don't think its that big of a deal/a problem.

Optimum08
06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
i love diet coke

hellasss
06-04-2008, 05:57 AM
i hear diet sodas leave leasions in the brain.. i drink water only

VDubb
06-05-2008, 09:50 AM
i hear diet sodas leave leasions in the brain.. i drink water only

I heard yellow #5 shrinks your pee-pee.......

:hide:

Szust
06-05-2008, 11:57 PM

:hide:

Atleast this is confirmed science.

CrazyK
06-06-2008, 01:07 AM

:hide:I heard masturbating causes blindness. Better stop before it's too late.