PDA

View Full Version : creatine hurts your bones

manofsteel99
05-29-2008, 07:40 PM
id imagine this is just another idiotic stereotype right?

berfles
05-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Yes.

manofsteel99
05-29-2008, 07:52 PM
lol my friends dad who used to bea D-1 linebacker said this, i was like wow are you serious.

getfit
05-29-2008, 08:15 PM
why not ask him why he thinks CREATINE HURTS YOUR BONES!

it's a joke c'mon.Never heard such a thing.

WBBIRL
05-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Stupidity hurts your brain

WORLD
05-30-2008, 10:21 PM
ouch, my brain...

TKisner
05-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I heard it makes the left side of your body smaller but stronger and the right side of your body bigger but weaker......kidding.

Excelsior
05-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Not that it needs reiterating that it's wrong, but.

cursory glance at pubmed:

1: Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007 May;39(5):816-20. Links
Creatine monohydrate increases bone mineral density in young Sprague-Dawley rats.

Antolic A, Roy BD, Tarnopolsky MA, Zernicke RF, Wohl GR, Shaughnessy SG, Bourgeois JM.
Departments of Pediatrics and Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada.
INTRODUCTION: Creatine kinase, found in osteoblasts, is an enzyme that is upregulated in response to interventions that enhance bone mass accretion. Creatine monohydrate supplementation can increase fat-free mass in young healthy men and women and can reduce markers of bone breakdown in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. PURPOSE: The objective of this study was to determine the influence of supplementation with creatine monohydrate on bone structure and function in growing rats, to establish a therapeutic model. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Creatine monohydrate (2% w.w.) (CR; N = 16) or standard rat chow (CON; N = 16) was fed to Sprague-Dawley rats beginning at 5 wk of age, for 8 wk. Bone mineral density (BMD) and content (BMC) were assessed using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry at the beginning and end of the protocol. The rats were sacrificed, and one femur was removed for the determination of mechanical properties. RESULTS: The CR-treated rats showed greater lumbar BMD and femoral bending load at failure compared with the CON rats (P < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: Together, these data suggest that creatine monohydrate potentially has a beneficial influence on bone function and structure; further investigation is warranted into its effect on bone functional properties and its effects in disorders associated with bone loss.