PDA

View Full Version : What is a clean bulk?

tennisrox4
05-30-2008, 01:59 AM
ive heard people on here say "if its a clean bulk" or " it wasnt a clean bulk"

whats a clean bulk.

I no what a bulk is but what is a clean one?

TJ2389
05-30-2008, 02:12 AM
I define a clean bulk as a bulk where you make gains without a drastic increase in BF. Staying away from fast food and unhealthy foods that may be high in cals but are also high in unhealthy fats. Simply put, a gain of a certain amount of weight by eating "clean" foods (no junk) with as low of a BF% increase as possible.

Phenom
05-30-2008, 10:30 AM
I define a clean bulk as a bulk where you make gains without a drastic increase in BF. Staying away from fast food and unhealthy foods that may be high in cals but are also high in unhealthy fats. Simply put, a gain of a certain amount of weight by eating "clean" foods (no junk) with as low of a BF% increase as possible.

+1.. It's basically getting your daily calorie requirement the hard way.

kevowamo
05-30-2008, 11:10 AM
not to boast, but it's this...
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=110592

Cards
05-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I define a clean bulk as a bulk where you make gains without a drastic increase in BF.

I think this one line is the definition of a clean bulk. The type of food you eat is irrelevant IMO because you can eat ****ty food and still maintain a low body fat %.

scumbag
06-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I think this one line is the definition of a clean bulk. The type of food you eat is irrelevant IMO because you can eat ****ty food and still maintain a low body fat %.

What do you mean still eat *****ty food and still have low body fat %? Can I do this on a bulk?? i'm confused as hell now

RhodeHouse
06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
A clean bulk is a sure way to make little to no progress in your efforts to gain muscle mass. Muscle needs fat. If you're satisfied with 10lbs gained in 6 months on a clean bulk, then it's for you. To me, 10lbs should be done in 3-4 weeks. That's how you really put on muscle mass.

Slim Schaedle
06-09-2008, 10:32 PM

Agreed.

Clean bulking is keeping a close eye on all variables and details of your diet, in order to satisfy whatever muscle/fat ratio gain requirement you have.

A fast food can certainly be included. Same goes for cutting.

I've done both, and they they both work.

Dirty bulking just means weight gains come faster, but not counting calories makes it very difficult to gauge where you need to be if and when you decide to cut.

Although some people can simply subtract the amount they eat, and lose fat that way.

Muscle can only be synthesized at a certain rate, and at some caloric amount, you reach a point of diminishing returns.

Starting out, I think everyone (if skinny) should eat their ass off as much as possible.

Killa Kurt
06-10-2008, 06:06 PM
A clean bulk is a sure way to make little to no progress in your efforts to gain muscle mass. Muscle needs fat. If you're satisfied with 10lbs gained in 6 months on a clean bulk, then it's for you. To me, 10lbs should be done in 3-4 weeks. That's how you really put on muscle mass.

:withstupi:
Rhodes, you never disappoint.

RhodeHouse
06-10-2008, 07:59 PM
:withstupi:
Rhodes, you never disappoint.

I aim to please.

emjlr3
06-11-2008, 06:43 AM
I think ppl refer to a clean bulk as eating excess calories from all healthy foods - it has nothing to do with weight gain - when bulking you eat calories to fit your desired goal - eating 200 over maint. isn't going to get you too far, eating 750 over maint. will get you there roughly 4 times as fast

Clean bulking is keeping a close eye on all variables and details of your diet

would you consider a bulk where I just eat everything in site all day long - but get it all from oats/peanuts/etc. not clean? I wouldn't
I guess to me the "clean" more refers to what food you eat, rather then how much of it, or whether or not your keeping track to make sure you don't eat too much of it

in the end, healthy foods are always desireable, peanuts will always be a more healthy source of fat then eggs - oats will always be a better/more healthy source of carbs then generic cereal - in the end it really just depends on how bad you want to eat healthier foods, eating lots of calories of good foods can get expensive, but then expensive is also relative to your income

hope that helps

RhodeHouse
06-11-2008, 08:56 AM
I think ppl refer to a clean bulk as eating excess calories from all healthy foods - it has nothing to do with weight gain - when bulking you eat calories to fit your desired goal - eating 200 over maint. isn't going to get you too far, eating 750 over maint. will get you there roughly 4 times as fast

would you consider a bulk where I just eat everything in site all day long - but get it all from oats/peanuts/etc. not clean? I wouldn't
I guess to me the "clean" more refers to what food you eat, rather then how much of it, or whether or not your keeping track to make sure you don't eat too much of it

in the end, healthy foods are always desireable, peanuts will always be a more healthy source of fat then eggs - oats will always be a better/more healthy source of carbs then generic cereal - in the end it really just depends on how bad you want to eat healthier foods, eating lots of calories of good foods can get expensive, but then expensive is also relative to your income

hope that helps

The only thing better than the egg is the cow. Peanuts? Where do you get your info?

Slim Schaedle
06-11-2008, 10:44 AM

Yes, I would.

I know people take the phrase "clean diet" to mean things like low fat, "healthy", etc. etc.

But look at the word clean. The word clean would imply that it is free from excess stuff that is dirty. But what the hell is "dirty" in a diet?

Take double cheeseburger from McDonalds and some oatmeal and a slab of steak.

Strip the foods down to their basic components and what is the difference?

Then we get into the concept that a calorie is a calorie.

Sure, eating "healthy" foods means you are getting more vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc.

So to me, bulking by eating tons and tons of foods that are commonly regarded as "healthy" and gaining unwanted fat (if the person doesn't want it) by not keeping an eye on how much is actually taking to do the job, is "dirty."

AKMass
06-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I agree with slim. I propose choosing new adjectives to describe bulk styles, haha. Thoughts?

emjlr3
06-11-2008, 06:57 PM
its great protein, but I know i dont want all that saturated fat and cholestrol, especially with my families history of heart issues - I guess everyone has their own opinion however

and what your saying peanuts are not a good source of fat?

by no means does clean imply low fat to me - it implies keeping the bad **** out of my diet as much as possible - bad as in unhealthy ro my body's function and well being

Slim Schaedle
06-11-2008, 07:00 PM
its great protein, but I know i dont want all that saturated fat and cholestrol, especially with my families history of heart issues - I guess everyone has their own opinion however

and what your saying peanuts are not good fat?

Well, that's an individual problem and shouldn't be used to make generalizations (such as the one about eggs in that other thread)

Same way you can't say high protein is bad strictly based on the fact that one may have existing renal problems.

Or how you can't say high carbs are bad simply becuase there are those with insulin sensitivity issues.

Killa Kurt
06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
The only thing better than the egg is the cow. Peanuts? Where do you get your info?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Killa Kurt
06-11-2008, 07:19 PM

and what your saying peanuts are not a good source of fat?

by no means does clean imply low fat to me - it implies keeping the bad **** out of my diet as much as possible - bad as in unhealthy ro my body's function and well being

The cholesterol in an egg isn't "bad" cholesterol. Do your research and you'll realize that eggs are a top 5 food.

emjlr3
06-11-2008, 07:25 PM
ive never researched what type of chol was in eggs, my bad
i always thought it was the bad stuff (LDL), the way ppl talk about it, and I have never heard diff till now

such as the one about eggs in that other thread

which is why I noted where my opinion originated from, and why it could be different from others

I'm wondering the same thing.

first time i have ever heard of someone downing nuts as a fat source :eek::eek: