PDA

View Full Version : Protein shake question.

Dan9108
05-31-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm on a cut, and I haven't looked into protein shake powder, but I'm going to purchase some today. I lift 3 days a week and run 3-5 miles 3 days a week. I don't need a recommendation on a brand of protein shake, just if I should get casein and whey, or just whey, or any other recommendation. I'm new to this, so I'm kind of in the dark of a decent protein powder to get that will assist me on my cut.

Dan9108
05-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Sorry, I got all the help I need, it won't let me delete the thread, apologies.

bdunndchi
05-31-2008, 06:39 PM
For anyone else that stumbles on this thread looking for protein advice, I am a big advocate of casein and whey. Casein is a slow-digesting protein and whey is fast digesting. I add some casein to my postworkout shake (with whey of course), and also take a casein shake before bed. I use Optimum's whey and casein. (chocolate for both!)

--->http://zapurls.com/BuffSmiles.jpg:)<---

Dan9108
06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
I went to a health store and looked for a mix that was relatively low in fat and carbs with a good protein content. It is Now brand whey protein. http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?action=itemdetail&item_id=3718

Does this look good for a cut?

I take 2 scoops in the morning in 10 oz. organic skim milk. I lift at school at around 11:00.
and 1 scoop with about 8 oz organic skim milk around late afternoon 45 min before I run 3-5 miles.

Does this sounds decent for a cut? I weigh around 160 lbs and i'm 5'8, age 16

RhodeHouse
06-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I went to a health store and looked for a mix that was relatively low in fat and carbs with a good protein content. It is Now brand whey protein. http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?action=itemdetail&item_id=3718

Does this look good for a cut?

I take 2 scoops in the morning in 10 oz. organic skim milk. I lift at school at around 11:00.
and 1 scoop with about 8 oz organic skim milk around late afternoon 45 min before I run 3-5 miles.

Does this sounds decent for a cut? I weigh around 160 lbs and i'm 5'8, age 16

You're 160lbs and you're gonna cut? The wind will blow you away if you get any smaller. Train hard, eat well, and put some muscle on before you consider cutting. If you're 160lbs and you cut, you're gonna lose bone density. There's nothing else to lose at 160lbs.

For all that just freaked out about the bone density thing - that was humor. Pretty funny, too. But, seriously, for all those wondering about cutting, here are a few simple things for you to look for, so you can figure out the right course of action.

DO NOT CUT if:

1. you weigh less than 200lbs (regardless of height - seriously)
2. you can see you collar bones/ribs/AC joints/hips (if you can see any of these bones, you are WAY too skinny)

The idea of cutting is to burn the fat, revealing the muscle you built while bulking. If you aren't at least 200lbs, you don't have muscle to reveal. Sorry. That's bone and sinue.

Start eating, now.

BFGUITAR
06-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm with rhodes here. I was 180 and wanted to cut but knew that I didn't have enough muscle to begin with to justify a cut. Now I'm at 205 and legally a man in Rhodestown and will cut.

knicksfan20
06-01-2008, 09:05 PM
If im looking to Gain weight, Whey is good right?

Im new to all this stuff....Im 6'1 165 btw...

here is what i just bought

prosource.net/product.jsp?path=-1|14958&id=14891

I cant post a link yet...i need 10 posts...but that is what i bought

Also...JC...what does "cut" mean? i think i know..but it could be somthing not so obvious

RhodeHouse
06-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm with rhodes here. I was 180 and wanted to cut but knew that I didn't have enough muscle to begin with to justify a cut. Now I'm at 205 and legally a man in Rhodestown and will cut.

BFG - congrats on the weight gain. It feels good to be strong, doesn't it? Nice work. Now, don't go and lose too much weight on your cut.

BFGUITAR
06-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Only enough so I can eventually continue the bulk!

markdk86
06-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I love Rhodes posts.

Szust
06-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Rhodes puts everything in the right perspective.