PDA

View Full Version : College football player seeking help

Rush23hester
06-01-2008, 05:21 PM
I will be playing College Football this coming fall. I have until August 9th to get myself into great shape. I am a QB, so lifting weights has never been really big for me. I have a rocket for an arm already, and my bench press is 190.

I know there is always room to improve, which I intend to do. I am coming here for advice on a solid diet plan. I don't want to gain any weight, I have been sent a strict training schedule leading up to the 1st day of training camp which I intend to follow. I need a solid diet plan tho.

My problem with weight has always been not having a firm diet set for me. I can follow it, eat the same exact thing at the same exact time everyday with no problem, but I have never set one up.

Could somebody please help me in this avenue? All help is appreciated

Rush23hester
06-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Great advice!

zen
06-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm confused.
Even though you were a QB, I am still confused as to how "lifting weights has never been really big" for you.
You must have a nice arm, because you got recruited to a college team, and you may have some athletic ability to boot, but weight training could have helped you even more.

The second thing that's confusing me is why no one from the team's staff hasn't contacted you about a training regimen. Obviously, since you are an incoming freshman, you can't partake in any of the off season training, but I still can't understand why they haven't sent you anything or talked to you about training.

There may be some things you can look up online that can help you in other areas (I remember hears stuff about QBs doing pilates (sp?) to help them with their drop back and pocket movement) but in terms of weight training, it can only help you later to get going now on some core compound movements like squats, deadlift, bench, etc.

Rush23hester
06-02-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm confused.
Even though you were a QB, I am still confused as to how "lifting weights has never been really big" for you.
You must have a nice arm, because you got recruited to a college team, and you may have some athletic ability to boot, but weight training could have helped you even more.

The second thing that's confusing me is why no one from the team's staff hasn't contacted you about a training regimen. Obviously, since you are an incoming freshman, you can't partake in any of the off season training, but I still can't understand why they haven't sent you anything or talked to you about training.

There may be some things you can look up online that can help you in other areas (I remember hears stuff about QBs doing pilates (sp?) to help them with their drop back and pocket movement) but in terms of weight training, it can only help you later to get going now on some core compound movements like squats, deadlift, bench, etc.

I did excersizes that worked on the muscle alone, primarily the throwing motion. If you compare the velocity of my passes to a QB who can say, bench 290 lbs, you can tell that I can throw faster and further. I doubted the excercizes but my father insisted they would work and they wound up improving my throwing distance from 55 yards to 65 with ease.

I have a training regiment that the college has sent me, I am looking for a diet regiment. I am looking for a diet plan. What to eat and at what time. i can follow it if its given to me

zen
06-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I did excersizes that worked on the muscle alone, primarily the throwing motion. If you compare the velocity of my passes to a QB who can say, bench 290 lbs, you can tell that I can throw faster and further. I doubted the excercizes but my father insisted they would work and they wound up improving my throwing distance from 55 yards to 65 with ease.

I have a training regiment that the college has sent me, I am looking for a diet regiment. I am looking for a diet plan. What to eat and at what time. i can follow it if its given to me

I could throw 75+yards and I never played QB on an organized team a day in my life. But those were high arching rainbow type throws which are useless on the field. I'm not doubting your dad or your training. I'm just saying that how far you throw isn't necessarily a good gage of a quality arm for quarterbacking. Obviously, the speed of your release and the velocity of your throw are much more important when it comes to arm strength than distance. But you know that.

I hope you aren't one of those people who avoids weights because you think it will hurt your arm strength.

Rush23hester
06-02-2008, 01:09 PM
I could throw 75+yards and I never played QB on an organized team a day in my life. But those were high arching rainbow type throws which are useless on the field. I'm not doubting your dad or your training. I'm just saying that how far you throw isn't necessarily a good gage of a quality arm for quarterbacking. Obviously, the speed of your release and the velocity of your throw are much more important when it comes to arm strength than distance. But you know that.

I hope you aren't one of those people who avoids weights because you think it will hurt your arm strength.

No I am not. I have always played in a shotgun, qb friendly offense. Where you throw the ball 50 times a game. He would have the linemen/defense lift weights and have the QB-WR's doing drills and working on timing/routes. I have lifted and been moderately strong but nothing crazy like benching over 240. Haven't lifted in awhile, id be lucky to get 205.

I am looking for a diet plan tho lol. Not lifting advice.

zen
06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
No I am not. I have always played in a shotgun, qb friendly offense. Where you throw the ball 50 times a game. He would have the linemen/defense lift weights and have the QB-WR's doing drills and working on timing/routes. I have lifted and been moderately strong but nothing crazy like benching over 240. Haven't lifted in awhile, id be lucky to get 205.

I am looking for a diet plan tho lol. Not lifting advice.

benching over 240 is crazy? why?
I'm an I.T. guy and I can bench over 240. I would think collegiate QBs might get under the bar.

Jorge Sanchez
06-02-2008, 02:09 PM
I'd be surprised if you find anyone here to give you an entire diet plan. Maybe if you had some informed questions people would be more willing to help, but you're basically asking someone to do all the work for you.

Rush23hester
06-02-2008, 02:37 PM
benching over 240 is crazy? why?
I'm an I.T. guy and I can bench over 240. I would think collegiate QBs might get under the bar.

Because every single normal I.T. Guy posted avidly at weightlifting forums for over 4 years.

Kevin Durant, a top up and coming NBA player, who plays downlow, can't even bench 185 lbs coming into the NBA. Bench press isn't neccesarily a good attribute to draw from, when it comes to skill.

How much did Brian Bosworth bench? :outnumber:

Ben Moore
06-02-2008, 02:42 PM
The bench for a QB might not be the greatest of lifts. I do think that you can't go wrong in getting overall stronger to be more competitive in football. I'd be willing to bet you can't get away just being quick in college. WillNoble may something to chime in here.

Optimum08
06-04-2008, 12:31 PM
an overall increase in full body strength will not be a detriment no matter what sport you are playing. plain and simple there really is no reason not to lift heavy and gain strength regardless of position.

I'd be surprised if you find anyone here to give you an entire diet plan. Maybe if you had some informed questions people would be more willing to help, but you're basically asking someone to do all the work for you.

:withstupi:

HP666
06-04-2008, 03:54 PM
The bench for a QB might not be the greatest of lifts. .

I agree with that. Benching does put stress on the shoulders, and if my job depended on my shoulders being healthy, and throwing, I wouldn't barbell bench press. Now dumbbells, maybe.