PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter and Protein question?

knicksfan20
06-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Ok...So i know Peanut Butter has a pretty good source of protein.

Now i got a question....You get 7 grams of protein for 1 serving of peanut butter (2 tablespoons)

Anyways...there is 35 servings....which would =245 total grams of protein.

I Used this weight gain calculator, and it suggests that i get 176 grams of protein a day...

SO hypothetical question...if i was to eat a half a jar of peanut butter a day...plus regular other meals...would that be good?

Peanut Butter has alot of GOOD fat in it...so i shouldnt really have to worry about that...

so..anybody got any insight on this?

knicksfan20
06-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Just gonna bump this up to the top.

i have Jiff btw if that matters

AKMass
06-02-2008, 03:02 PM
That could be awesome, depending on how much you weigh....But I think you might get sick of that diet REALLY fast. Why avoid other foods? PB is great for gaining weight, but only in moderation. What would your other meals be?

Justin Ryan
06-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Food you eat normally should contain relatively close amounts of protein. If not eat more. But you don't need to eat half a jar of PB plus all normal food. Keep track of what you eat on www.fitday.com it's not completely accurate but it will give you a good estimate of how much protein your taking in normally. Once you do that, you can eat more, or change your diet to get the gain you want.

Read around the forum and you'll find a lot of information on this. But IMO I wouldn't think its neccessary to eat 176g of protein in peanut butter.

knicksfan20
06-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I mean...my problem is...i live with my mom still...so i cant really choose my meals as much.

I was making more of a hypothetical question

i start my morning with 6 egg whites bowl of oatmeal and 2 glasses of milk usually...for lunch ill have a pb and j sandwhich or tuna fish...and for dinner...i have whatever my mom makes

just purchased some Protein Powder too...so i will be taking that about 3 times a day...but even with that...im not reaching my protein goal i think

6 egg whites=30 g of protein i believe...+oatmeal = 36 g of protein and the milk is like 10-14? i forget i just started my diet a few days ago..

so im looking at 50 there

Lunch...im getting about 7 grams of protein? (dunno how much is in a can of tuna..and with pb and j i get about 1 serving of peanut butter ont he bread) I will have juice with tuna and Milk with pb and j

so thats 57

3 servings of protein powder =24g for the powder...so about 30 all together with the milk...so thats 90

which =147...so im about 20-30 off from my daily goal...gotta rely on that for dinner..which alot of times my mom orders pizza...or its free for all...or its pasta (im italian and we eat alot of italian food)

so for those last 20-30 grams of protein i need...im sure i could just stack up on peanut butter?

i dunno...hypothetically..if i really wanted to ...i could just live off peanut butter right?

Auburn
06-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Peanut Butter has alot of GOOD fat in it...so i shouldnt really have to worry about that...

The term "good fat" is basically meaningless. Peanut butter, for instance does not have an EFA profile conducive to health. The danger is in the dose.

AKMass
06-02-2008, 03:49 PM
How much do you weigh??? A can of tuna has ~30g of protein. Wow three servings of powder=24g of protein? You might want to look at other protein poweders out there, like Nitrean from ATLarge Nutrition, which has 24g per serving.

VikingWarlord
06-02-2008, 05:01 PM
The term "good fat" is basically meaningless. Peanut butter, for instance does not have an EFA profile conducive to health. The danger is in the dose.

Saying it's meaningless isn't really accurate, but it's definitely not descriptive enough.

Auburn
06-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Saying it's meaningless isn't really accurate,

Well, what exactly does "good fat" mean? Without individual context, classifications lack meaning. I'm just lashing out against this bodybuilding magazine approach to nutriton that peaked a couple of years ago.

Chubrock
06-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Peanut Butter isn't eaten for the protein.

VikingWarlord
06-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Well, what exactly does "good fat" mean? Without individual context, classifications lack meaning. I'm just lashing out against this bodybuilding magazine approach to nutriton that peaked a couple of years ago.

"Good fat" usually refers to the unsaturated fats. Do you really need a list of benefits of each or are you done being intentionally thick?

Auburn
06-02-2008, 07:26 PM
"Good fat" usually refers to the unsaturated fats. Do you really need a list of benefits of each or are you done being intentionally thick?

You just proved my point for me.

VikingWarlord
06-02-2008, 07:54 PM
You fail argumentative logic. How is that proving your point? The only thing being proven here is that you're being intentionally obtuse and offering up no information to support your claim that the term "good fat" is meaningless.

On second thought, I don't even give enough of a **** to continue this. Lash out at whatever you want.

Auburn
06-02-2008, 08:19 PM
The only thing being proven here is that you're being intentionally obtuse and offering up no information to support your claim that the term "good fat" is meaningless.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9635993
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15460166

Read the full text of these review papers. Very basic stuff without any deep physiology, but it should help break the idea of fat groups as good or bad, much less individual fatty acids.

knicksfan20
06-02-2008, 09:07 PM
How much do you weigh??? A can of tuna has ~30g of protein. Wow three servings of powder=24g of protein? You might want to look at other protein poweders out there, like Nitrean from ATLarge Nutrition, which has 24g per serving.

Well to be honest i did not know how much Protein tuna had...so i was just guessing...

3 servings of powder would = 72 grams... 24 grams per serving.

I weigh about 165...weighed 160 a couple days ago...