PDA

View Full Version : bench day questions

Lones Green
06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I figured since we have some really big benchers here at WBB now, i'd take advantage of the resource and ask some questions.

I train the standard westside template. i currently do not have a shirt, but i plan to soon. i'm looking for ways to improve my bench, and prepare for shirted bench training. my bench days usually look something like this right now:

ME:
-max effort movement (flat bench, incline, 2 board, sometimes DB's)
-tricep movement (JM's, rolling DB ext, pushdowns, tate presses, etc)
-heavy rows (usually DB's)
-a couple upper back/rear delt movements (band pull aparts, face pulls, etc)

DE:
-speed bench w/doubled mini's (i don't look at percentages, i just go up in weight until it isnt fast...i do cycle the bands though, because they are hell on my elbows)
-triceps (usually pushdowns w/mini around neck)
-lighter rowing
-lateral raises, and more rear delts

sometimes i do different things, but thats what most of my days look like. i don't do any direct front delt work, should i be doing any? i do a lot of rear delts because i have long arms, and long joints...trying to prevent injury!

but like i said, there are some big benchers here and i'd like any tips from you guys, i'm all ears. THANKS!

Travis Bell
06-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Thats a pretty good set up right there. Only thing I might ditch is the inclines. Good ascessory exercise for raw bench, but doesn't really do much for your shirted bench. Also, on your ME day, you might want to add in some high board work ( 4 and 5 brd ) to help develop the lockout a little better. Whats your current best for bench?

what makes the Westside template work is picking ME exercises that work on your weaknesses. Different combinations of bands/chain, different boards, floor press, reverse bands etc. Where in your range of motion do you typically stall?

For your DE day, I'd do some more cable pressdown work without the bands. I've found for myself that the banded work for triceps is really hard on my elbows. I can get away with about 2 weeks before they are absolutly killing me.

Lones Green
06-02-2008, 02:00 PM
my current best for bench is 315. this comes from long arms and neglecting my bench work. my weak point is about midway through the press, (thats why i've been working the 2 board) its weird, most guys have problems off the chest or with lockout. for a couple years i did 5x5 with DB's, and i think that made me very strong off the chest. once i get about 6 inches off the chest it's like a wall.

thinking about what you said, i should probably work in more high boards, floor press, and reverse band presses. this should help me through my sticking point, plus make my lockout even stronger, right?

ditching the bands on the pressdowns is understandable. i get pretty bad elbow pain, squatting heavy then benching heavy is a fiesta for elbow pain with me.

thanks travis!

now i need to make some higher boards :evillaugh:

thewicked
06-02-2008, 03:58 PM
i would follow what travis suggested. Boards boards board and more boards HAHA!

i'd go with board work, bench with bands, bench with chains, reverse band benching, floor presses, etc. for my ME exercises in a shirt..

but then again i'm a raw presser. I've found too that if you do HEAVY compound tricep work like again..more pressing..it'll be good **** for your bench. Doing close grip presses, board presses after your DE work or floor presses after benching can be goodies as well!

Eric Downey
06-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Your plan looks pretty westside standard. However the purpose of a speed day is to have speed. To much band tenison or weight and your losing the effect all together. Learn and use the % 1 rep max. Its the only way to get better. Watch Halberts DVD if you can find it. I found it on ebay for $20. Its will give you a much better understanding of speed work, and why it important to be done correctly. Good luck and what type of shirt are you looking to get. Post some vids b/c no shirt is made for one type of bencher.

Lones Green
06-03-2008, 03:47 AM
posting a video isn't gonna be a problem within a week or so. i have a buddy who has a camcorder, and is in a touring band. hes going to let me borrow it when he hits the road again.

lil' power
06-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Lones, I have a camcorder,,,let me know when you want and I'll video it and email it over to ya.... or rip it DVD, your choice my friend.

nhlfan
06-03-2008, 05:48 PM
reverse band bench and 3 boards will probably do you a lot of good if you've been stalling in the middle of the movement.

Lones Green
06-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Lones, I have a camcorder,,,let me know when you want and I'll video it and email it over to ya.... or rip it DVD, your choice my friend.

AWESOME

Eric Downey
06-03-2008, 11:28 PM
reverse band bench and 3 boards will probably do you a lot of good if you've been stalling in the middle of the movement.

Thats good advise but i think proper speed work is gonna be better. also make sure you lock out every rep on you speed work. The only time i went to westside to train that was my biggest flaw. After training there one day my tri's were so sore from locking everything out. LOCK OUT EVERYTHING.