PDA

View Full Version : When is it better to drink alcohol?

orscrubs
06-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I know that drinking alcohol slows down gains but if I do decide to drink, is it better to do it on a day that I workout or on an off day? Also, is it better to go to the gym or rest the day after drinking?

Also, what drink, either beer or mixed drink, is probably the LEAST harmful to a bodybuilder (in terms of lowest carb content, sugar content, etc).

Thanks!

fooz
06-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Don't drink. If your working 3 days a week. Drink on the weekends, don't kill yourself though... don't get really ****faced, yano?

knicksfan20
06-02-2008, 09:18 PM
if your going to drink..its better to drink liquer then it is to drink Beer

Plyo-Solidity
06-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Red wine is the best and most healthiest thing to drink. As the doctor says, drink in moderation and you wont have a problem.

Szust
06-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Red wine is the best and most healthiest thing to drink. As the doctor says, drink in moderation and you wont have a problem.

I'm with this guy.

patricky
06-03-2008, 08:05 AM
IMO the whole alcohol slowing down gains thing is really over exaggerated.
I drank every day and my stregth went up like nothing.

mikey4402
06-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Just drink when you want to drink. Live life how you want to.

WBBIRL
06-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Just drink when you want to drink. Live life how you want to.

Or show self control and don't drink until you've made the changes you want to make.

Take myself for example, I've chosen to give it up completely until I cut 50 pounds. I could say well... every other weekend wouldn't hurt. But I don't need to drink, so I won't.

Simply put, alcohol will hinder your efforts. Do what you will.

lecithin
06-03-2008, 10:45 AM
It definately slowed mine during the semester, now that I'm out for the summer (and drinking much less) I've been making better gains. Just make sure you drink an assload of water.

bilby1989
06-03-2008, 01:38 PM
i know you shouldnt drink but i do whatever the consequences

PhilsterT
06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Just flippin' drink. If you are an alcoholic, then yes, cut back. I drink what I want to and it doesn't hinder my gains.

If you are 400 lbs, then yes.

If you are an intelligent--or not an idiot--then you are fine, and just limit yourself. Drink lots of water, make sure to get enough rest, and don't put yourself out of commision, and you will be fine.

RedSpikeyThing
06-03-2008, 03:51 PM
And naturally you've tried not drinking to confirm this, right?

StrongAsHell
06-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Try to keep it to 1-2 days a week. Off days would be better but still not great. Up to 3 drinks can be okay, even beneficial. 10 drinks is bad no matter how you cut it.

wnt2gitswoll
06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
When there's some serious fine ass females around drinking too.

Auburn
06-03-2008, 09:42 PM
I think there is definitely some psychological effect from it, too. If drinking is a normal part of your life and your outlook suffers by not drinking, I think you're better off having a beer every once in a while. If you could take it or leave it (or only drink due to social pressures), you're probably better off not drinking.

azma
06-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Amstel Light = 99 cal/12oz
Molson Light = 82 cal/12oz
Yuengling Light = 98 cal/12oz
Beck's Light = 64 cal/12oz
Leinenkugel Light = 105 cal/12oz
Miller Lite = 96 cal/12oz

All data sourced from http://www.beer100.com/

Unholy
06-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Drink clear hard liqueur with diet soda. A few drinks you feel great and the cals aren't too bad.

Detard
06-06-2008, 09:52 AM
If your bulking, drink beer.

Szust
06-06-2008, 10:34 AM

Agreed.

Jordanbcool
06-06-2008, 11:19 AM
A really dark beer is supposed to have more antioxidants and overall should be better for you. Guinness is a good idea but I personally don't like the taste of lagers.

All in all stick to light beer or liquor with diet soda as a mixer. Alcohol actually has a lot of calories (like fat) and is 7-8 calories a gram. This is made worse by adding high calorie mixers and other sugary drinks. Most people drink. I myself drink but only when I'm bulking. As long as it is kept in moderation you should be fine (I would say no more then a couple beers/shots a week). I usually just didn't drink anything and got hammered on a saturday/friday. That way I had a great time but got everything I needed to get done during the rest of the week.

Anyways. Good luck

Slim Schaedle
06-06-2008, 08:18 PM

Well, you don't exactly need optimal protein synthesis in order to gain strength.

But, for hypertrophy, you do.

VikingWarlord
06-07-2008, 05:06 PM
It is best to drink as often as possible. That liquorfog is awesome.

Bad idea. If you're drunk, however are you going to be quick witted enough to trick the drunk broads into coming home with you?

"We were having sex doggystyle. I didn't plan on it, that's just how she passed out." --Dave Attell

Hatred
06-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Do drugs instead.

razorcut
06-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Drink clear hard liqueur with diet soda. A few drinks you feel great and the cals aren't too bad.

I'm with you. My cutting alcoholic beverage of choice: bacardi (one shot) & diet coke. Estimated calories = 52. Tough to beat that.

Slim Schaedle
06-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I

Also, what drink, either beer or mixed drink, is probably the LEAST harmful to a bodybuilder (in terms of lowest carb content, sugar content, etc).

The caloric content is going to be nowhere near the top of the list when it comes to negative effects alcohol has with our chosen sport.

Alcohol's effect on IGF-1, protein synthesis etc. is where you run into problems.

The degree to which this effects real world results will vary from person to person due to genetics. If you are a "hardgainer" then alcohol will likely have a very noticeable damaging effect.

(and let's not get into an argument about "hardgainers:))

pbal17
06-07-2008, 08:27 PM
if u gotta drink, i think rum and diets are the way to go. michelob ultra has the least amount of calories for a beer (that i know of) but u look like a bitch drinking it.

your question was when? probably after you look like ronnie coleman and arnold spliced their genes to make you the blackest governor of california.