PDA

View Full Version : Question for my friend who is looking to lose weight.

knicksfan20
06-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Ok here is the deal... my friend is a bit overweight..and is looking to try to get in shape.

he is 6'3 and about 290-300 lbs

He plays basketball 5 days a week...which is pretty much his only excersise.

He eats pretty poorly, He told me for breakfast he usually eats taylor ham or some cereal...for lunch he will have a couple hotdogs...maybe some ramen noodles.

will eat mcdonalds eveyr once in a while too...he has always been heavy since i known him (6th grade...he is 20 now)

Anyways...i have been working out alot latley came to me for some advice..and i just told him to cut his calories eat better...and excersise basically..but im no expert..

anyways...this is what i suggested he do...he lives with his parents..has no job...so he really just eats whats in the house..

Breakfast

Oatmeal with some Sprinkled Cinnamon for flavor (plus i heard its good for losing weight? any truth to that? ) Maybe an Apple and some low fat milk or water.

maybe some eggs without the yolk? maybe 3 eggs?

Lunch

Tuna Fish on weat bread...Maybe an apple or low fat yogurt
Turkey or chicken sandwich

Dinner

Whatever you mom makes really..dont go back for seconds

Stick to 3 meals a day....drink lots of water...maybe for a snack have a banana or apple or somthing.

Like i said im no expert...but if your looking to lose weight...you should still eat..but not make your body 100% satisfied

Also maybe do some running...what would be good excersises do you think?

anyways..would apreciate some suggestions from some of you guys who would know more then i would.

What about a protein shake? would those be good? i mean...protein is always good..and they are low in saturated fat (if so...any recomendations on shakes that would be good for weight loss?)

basically..told him to stay away from calories and sat fat...

Unholy
06-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Heavy weights, if hes 290-300lbs I'm going to take a stab and say get him to keep his protein at 250g/day fats at 100g/day and under 2800 cals/day He can eat 4 very nice meals a day and still lose weight. Its really about him finding his maintenance calories and eating 15-20% under that number. Best of luck to your friend.

knicksfan20
06-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok..well he has told me that he was looking into a gym membership (he comes over nearly every day to chill at my house...and i have weights at my house too...)

doubt he will be committed tot he gym though..he is pretty lazy

So do you suggest that he possibly takes some protein shakes then? if so what do you suggest? and how many a day?

Unholy
06-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Heavy weights, if hes 290-300lbs I'm going to take a stab and say get him to keep his protein at 250g/day fats at 100g/day and under 2800 cals/day He can eat 4 very nice meals a day and still lose weight. Its really about him finding his maintenance calories and eating 15-20% under that number. Best of luck to your friend.

:thumbup:

Unholy
06-02-2008, 10:12 PM
it doesn't matter what the protein comes from, shakes, lean meat, yadda yadda. If your friend is serious about this he will stop being lazy, or he could just continue being fat.....

knicksfan20
06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
any certain protein powders u would recomend for him then?

I use this stuff...and i am currently bulking...would it be good for him?

http://www.prosource.net/product.jsp?path=-1|14958&id=14891

Unholy
06-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Ugh, please go read the stickies, it is very clear you have not done much reading before posting this question.

Unholy
06-02-2008, 10:47 PM
That will be fine, IT DOESN'T MATTER. Protein is ****ing protein.

knicksfan20
06-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Calm down guy...

I'm just looking for some anwsers..and you guys have been helpfull.

I did read the stickies (for myself) didnt look again before posting this topic...

no need to start swearing at me or yell at me in "caps"

thanks for the replies though

Szust
06-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Calm down guy...

I'm just looking for some anwsers..and you guys have been helpfull.

I did read the stickies (for myself) didnt look again before posting this topic...

no need to start swearing at me or yell at me in "caps"

thanks for the replies though

If you have weights at your house and he comes over everyday like you say, just hit the weights with him. You would not only be a good influence on him but you would be the motivation he needs to do weights when he needs too. Keep the same lifting schedule and push him to do heavier weights. It will benefit the two of you.

vdizenzo
06-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Dieting is not that hard if your bodyfat is above average. Drink plenty of water, make better food choices, and exercise. Also, if he wants to lose weight shouldn't he be here figuring it out instead of you?

TKisner
06-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Get him on Fitday.com to track his calories and macros.

WBBIRL
06-03-2008, 10:49 AM
If he's that big and plays BB 5 days a week I can bet he's not drinking nearly enough water.

Have him cut out almost all caffeine and sugar. Drink at LEAST 1 gallon of water per day, if he's playing ball for 2 or so hours 5 days a week then he should probably up it to about 1.25-1.5 gallons per day.

Protein should hit at the very least 200g per day. Keep carbs to around 5g per day and fill in the rest with non saturated fats (read little to no saturated fats) he can have unsaturated fats.

Keep his calories at about 2500 and see what his weight does.

And paul is right, protein is protein. All you want to do is find a very pure source of it, like chicken breast which is almost 100% protein. Some shakes have lots of carbs in them, and you may say well it's only 5 g per serving. If the guys going to drink 8+ shakes that 40+ grams of carbs which you'll easily get elsewhere and don't want to waste on liquid "food".

Get him in the gym, tell him to stop being lazy.

You can do all the research in the world, so can he. It won't do a damned bit of good unless he actually wants this and is willing to work hard for it. He didn't get fat overnight, and he won't get lean overnight either. Pace him and let him see the big picture.

knicksfan20
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys...

Ya...he really didnt ask me to go on the web and look for him...he was over...mentioned somthing about he has been wanting to lose weight...and i told him i could try to find some information for him.

Today he started off decently i guess

He didnt eat breakfast...had a tuna fish sandwich on weat for lunch..and for dinner he had BBQ Chicken (im guessing BBQ is bad..but its what was made for dinner...i mean its the same as grilled chicken right? only with bbq sauce)

Anybody mind telling me why drinking so much water is good? just curiuos...i will tel him to start drinking at least a gallon a day.

Mark!
06-08-2008, 01:49 AM
When I started this journey I was over 424 pounds. I was told drink water, drink water, then drink more water. Other than being the nutrient of life, it helps make me feel more full without having to eat in between meals. I was over 36% body fat when I weighed 424, now I'm 28% and 300 pounds. Just moving, anyway you want, helps. I started with a lot of cardio sometimes 7 days a week. I was never lazy and always involved in some sports but I decided to get my diet in check before going any further...that will be the hardest step. It's imperitive that he logs what he eats every day. Fitday is a godsend, utilize it as much as possible. Have him keep a small notepad in his pocket and just quickly jot down what he eats. Best of luck to both of you.