PDA

View Full Version : How would I incorporate a second set of pulling into my routine?

Mad Max
06-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Currently I'm doing a 'powerbuilding' type of routine, in that I'm primarily trying to gain mass whilst utilizing certain max effort principles to up my bench and deadlift. So I have a ME style bench day, with doubles and singles, and a sort of ME dead day where I work up to singles with a deadlift variation. I wanted to throw in some higher rep pulling work as well (like rack pulls or romanians) just to give more hypertrophy in my back, since I'm only performing a total of 6-8 working reps in total per week for deads, which isn't optimal for hypertrophy. I'd rather not switch to higher rep deads altogether, as I want to focus on increasing my max.

ME (kind of) Dead day:

Work up to 3-4 singles at 80-95% of my max

followed by 4 x 12 oly squats. This is to build mass in my quads, which they do, better than anything.

Some isolation work on my hams.

Heavy Ab work

Heavy Oly Squat day:

Oly squats 4-5 sets of 3-5 reps

I was thinking of throwing some rack pulls in the 6-10 rer range here.

Lunges and other light stuff.

So what do you chaps recomend? If we take in to consideration recovery and that sort of stuff, where should I throw in some hypertrophy related pulling?

Thanks

deeder
06-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Do you have a DE day? I'd do some straight leg deadlifts or romanian deadlifts or whatever variation you like for high reps on that day.

Mad Max
06-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't have a DE day, because my routine isn't a powerlifting one, but I was thinking to put some higher rep pulls after my oly squats on my oly squat day. But generaly one wouldn't do high rep pulling just after a few heavy deadlift sets?

deeder
06-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Do you only squat/deadlift once a week? If so, that needs to change.

If you are squatting/deadlifting more than once a week do the high rep pulls on whatever you consider your squat day.

Mad Max
06-04-2008, 11:19 AM
No I have an Oly squat day with working sets in the 2-5 rep range (with other stuff, also where I'm gonna throw in my high rep pulling I've decided) and a deadlift day with heavy singles (followed by high rep oly squats and other light iso stuff). Thanks for the advice though deeder.

thewicked
06-04-2008, 09:15 PM
if you have an oly squat day... doing speed pulls with 225 or 315 for FAST and i mean FAST singles for a set of 8 will be fine. It's like DE work for deads like speed work is for DE benching. You could also do some SLDL's or some romanians in a "bodybuilding" style of sets and reps but don't push it. Consider those as accessory movements especially if you have a heavy pull day already.