PDA

View Full Version : OHP training

naked_unicycler
06-03-2008, 11:33 AM
I have been looking at getting into strongman for some time now and have finally decided to start training for it. Currently My OHP needs the most work. I am limited to just your normal barbells and DB's though as I have no strongman equipment around. Any good suggestions for a program? I have always had very strong shoulders and could probably throw up 250lbs with ease. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ben Moore
06-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Use the search on here, check out elitefts.com articles and Q&A. There's a ton of information out there. You can also look back through my log at kcstrongman.com as I only have powerlifting information on here.

Eric Downey
06-03-2008, 11:24 PM
You can buy a cheap log or even be creative with thing you can get. Strongman stuff isnt gonna be standard training. Oh and deadlift deadlift deadlift. What do you think Ben?

strongkid963
06-04-2008, 07:54 AM
it seems alot of good overgead pressers do 2x weekly.
-1 strict
-1 w/ leg drive

Reko
06-04-2008, 10:25 AM
IF you've got the bar you can clean and press it. You will have to do a lot of that in competitions.

Lones Green
06-04-2008, 11:23 AM
push presses are great too

Bob
06-04-2008, 07:32 PM
For log presses.. before we got a log.. we did a lot of DB OH Pressing...

DL a set of DBs from the floor...
Hammer Curl them with some swing of the back up to your shoulders...
and then press them with your hand parallel to each other...
>> alternate between strict presses, push presses and even jerks >>>

This mimics about 80% of the log press...
If you can do 2 90-100lb DBs together (total 180-200 lbs)... then you should be able to do a 230-260 log...
at least that's what it worked out for us..

Everyone has a weakness in a log press... mine is the curling action... technique is key and this is where the other 20% comes into play..

GL and have fun.. Strongman events are a lot of fun...

Ben Moore
06-04-2008, 11:31 PM
You can buy a cheap log or even be creative with thing you can get. Strongman stuff isnt gonna be standard training. Oh and deadlift deadlift deadlift. What do you think Ben?

Yep, the dead will become your friend over all else in strongman whether you like it or not, haha. And the creativity in training is a big draw to a lot of guys. There are just alot of ways to get something accomplished.