PDA

View Full Version : deadlift pain

youngguns
06-04-2008, 08:37 PM
i get it in my lower buttox. it's mostly at the bottom of my lift. i usually sit pretty deep into my deadlifts too. it happens mostly when i start pulling past 225 lbs (cus my max is only 280 at the moment). any ideas what this could be. or any ideas on how to get rid of this? any response is appreciated.

thewicked
06-04-2008, 09:02 PM
what's your stance like? sounds like you've got a conventional stance.. try pointing your toes out abit and pre-activating your hips before lifting. That always helped me. MAybe not go down so low..only to where your hips are at parallel instead of on the grass like it sounds like you're doing.

a video would do wonders as well.

youngguns
06-04-2008, 09:42 PM
ill try and get a camera into there on my next deadlift day.

jed
06-04-2008, 09:55 PM
yeah. i dont know if it would help your butt pain but always try to bring ur hips and butt up as far as u can before you start to pull. sometimes when you sit low and jerk into 250 pounds it could pull a muscle in a wrong way.

AJ Roberts
06-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Are you performing any sort of warm-up exercise to activate the glutes prior to working out?

youngguns
06-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Are you performing any sort of warm-up exercise to activate the glutes prior to working out?

no, i am not

fooz
06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
no, i am not

dee-da-dee. Well there you go haha.

youngguns
06-05-2008, 09:33 PM
well, what can i do to warm up my glutes?

Erik 23
06-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi young guns try to tape your self if possible as some of us can view them and see if your form needs correcting.Sitting back i think is fine i always try to start by keeping my head looking up and my chest up and i try to always push with my legs first.The pain your experiencing is it from the start or after you start doing a lot of reps? you should strecth for about 5 -10 minutes before you actually start deadlifting i usually just find like a platform thats elevated too about my stomach and strecth my leg on there one at a time kind of like a runner strecth if you know what im saying the best example i can tell you of what a deadlift should look like go to youtube and type in Ed Coan and you will see he sits back pulls with his legs first and then Uses his back Hope this helps If you can you should post up a video that will help better understand your problem.

thewicked
06-06-2008, 10:03 AM
stretching.. do some light pulling before getting into the heavy stuff to get warmed up and loose..hell walk or jog on the treadmill for a few minutes before going after it. That'll help you out at least a little.

daveshapellsvt
06-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Yea i would do some stretching, and maybe one warm up set with just the bar. Work on form, 98% of ppl in the gym these days lack form. Maybe you are over training aswell, maybe skip a deadlift day see if that helps out. Sometimes i'll take 3-7 days off after training for months to give my body some well needed rest. normally when i pick up lifting again i am stronger because i am well rested. If your lifting a ton with no gains then your over training. unless you've hit a wall, which in that case you need to reconfigure things.