PDA

View Full Version : Squat and bench Vids - any pointers?

Hazerboy
06-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Here are some vids I took of my squat/bench max today. I hit 395 in competition a few months ago in the squat, and today I did 415 and then tried 425 (failed).

I can't really tell if my 415 is at depth. I think it would be toss up and depend on the judge/federation, though maybe a few of you have a better eye than I do. This is the first time I've maxed with this wide of a stance too so my flexibility/idea of depth isn't that great yet either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoesjLMSFyI

Anyways, any pointers? Any ideas for ME/assistant excercises I should be throwing in for the next couple weeks? currently I've been doing bottom position high bar squats, high bar good mornings, low bar goodmornings, and snatch grip deadlifts. For assistant stuff I've been doing one legged lunges and step ups, along with SLDLs.

Oh, and here's my bench video too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8_fhc4KUKU By far my weakest lift. Any ideas for ME/assistant stuff would be good too, though I think my biggest weakness is that I'm just WEAK! :-p

I'm checking my deadlift and chin up maxes on friday, I hope to pull 500 and bodyweight + 130, so I'll probably post those vids when I get them.

Eric Downey
06-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Well ive seen worse form on the bench so your pretty good there, but keep working on that arch and setting up on you legs not your butt. Start with the basics bro. ME and DE days and do them right. Get good partners and watch your own vids for corrections in tech and form. As far as the ME and DE stuff you gotta find what work for you. Boards bands chains different hand positions and precentages of whatyou doing in reference to when your next meet is. Kinda hard to just say do ABC and you'll be fine. Post your workouts for a couples of weeks so we can see exactly what your doing and start from there.

Travis Bell
06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Pretty much the same as what Eric said. What have you been doing for a bench routine?

Also, tuck your elbows a little more. When the weight begins to slow down, don't let them slide back like that. Keep them tucked and use your triceps. be patient and the weight will keep going up

The squat vid looked pretty good. If I had to watch it in a meet as a judge I'd probably have given white lights. Since I can rewatch it a kajillion times on video, it still looked good. If it was high, it was by a very small margine. Good work

Reko
06-04-2008, 10:39 PM
I will have to take the opposite view of Travis and say its a little high but still close. He has more meets than I do by a large amount so he would be a better judge of what is acceptable.

Lones Green
06-05-2008, 04:07 AM
i do think the squat was a teeny bit high. good job getting out of the hole quick though, don't give those judges enough time to think! :)

Hazerboy
06-06-2008, 07:16 PM
i do think the squat was a teeny bit high. good job getting out of the hole quick though, don't give those judges enough time to think! :)

Yeah I'd probably agree. I'm not too beat up about it though, I'll make it easy for my next comp.

I didn't get any vids, but I made my goal of deadlifting 500 today -WOO! I was stoked, this was a 15 pound p.r. for me.

BUT my form was just awful. once I got past my knees I could feel my back rounding by a lot. I haven't deadlifted in awhile, so I guess I'll blame it on that, but I was wondering - is it pretty common for a lifter's form to go downhill big time on a huge lift? I was under the impression that most lifter's kept their form picture perfect even when breaking records, but I remember reading awhile back that the first guy to squat a grand did it with his chest on his quads. So have any of you seen someone break a huge record with just awful form?

kingkong51
06-06-2008, 10:48 PM
As I can tell your form is fine on bench just tuck the elbows and keep working tech. Squat was good to me just sit back alittle more get that deep and the judges will give you whites.